FAT32 & NTFS

Steve

FAT32 & NTFS
Hello

I have Vista Home premium running on my Compaq PC. The problem I've got is
on the C: drive there is a D: partition which is FAT32. Obviously Vista (C:
Drive) is NTFS. I believe that Vista uses D: to write temp files etc... but
this is causing system crashes as the drive is almost full 9% left.

What can I do to resolve the problem?

Steve
Malke

Re: FAT32 & NTFS
Steve wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have Vista Home premium running on my Compaq PC. The problem I've got is
> on the C: drive there is a D: partition which is FAT32. Obviously Vista (C:
> Drive) is NTFS. I believe that Vista uses D: to write temp files etc... but
> this is causing system crashes as the drive is almost full 9% left.

The FAT32 partition is probably a recovery/diagnostic partition. If this
is the case (and you can tell by referring to your computer manual,
HP/Compaq's website, or by contacting HP/Compaq tech support) then you
should leave the partition alone. If you've been adding things to the
restore partition, move them out of there. Otherwise it is unlikely that
this restore partition is causing your system crashes. Without more
specific information such as the exact text of error messages and a
better description of what happens, I can't suggest particular
troubleshooting steps.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Colin Barnhorst

Re: FAT32 & NTFS
a) larger hard drive
b) remove some files
Your choice.

How do you know that a hard drive that is 91% full is causing the system to
crash? What messages are you seeing that tells you this? Is there anything
in the Event Viewer that refers to system crashes due to disk full problems?
My guess is that the fullness of the disk is not causing the crashes. At
most you should be only seeing messages about insufficient space to complete
a task.

> Hello
>
> I have Vista Home premium running on my Compaq PC. The problem I've got is
> on the C: drive there is a D: partition which is FAT32. Obviously Vista
> (C:
> Drive) is NTFS. I believe that Vista uses D: to write temp files etc...
> but
> this is causing system crashes as the drive is almost full 9% left.
>
> What can I do to resolve the problem?
>
> Steve

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: FAT32 & NTFS
> Hello
>
> I have Vista Home premium running on my Compaq PC. The problem I've got is
> on the C: drive there is a D: partition which is FAT32. Obviously Vista
> (C:
> Drive) is NTFS. I believe that Vista uses D: to write temp files etc...
> but
> this is causing system crashes as the drive is almost full 9% left.
>
> What can I do to resolve the problem?
>
> Steve

If you have a 'low disk space warning'
you will have to access the recovery partition D and very carefully examine
the contents. You will need to pay particular attention to the file creation
dates, because the recovery files will have earlier dates than any backups
or saves you may have created. I would like to be able to advise that you
contact the manufacturer, but the chances of the idiot on the other end of
the line knowing how to tell you what to remove safely is zero to nil. It
would not hurt to give the manufacturer a try, but please do not hold your
breath.

--
Mike Hall - MVP