LAN driver discrepancy

Rojo Habe

LAN driver discrepancy
According to the Foxconn web site my motherboard (P9657AA) has a Realtek
Ethernet adapter, but Windows (Vista Ultimate) detects it as a Marvell Yukon
88E8056. Do I have the wrong driver installed or is this adapter actually
manufactured by Realtek? It seems to be working OK.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: LAN driver discrepancy
Obviously there is only one ethernet port on the back of the machine so the
question becomes was there a switch in components during the manufacturing
run of this board? It happens. Check the user forums hosted by Foxconn (if
they do host them). If you have connectivity then the right driver has been
installed whatever it is. It is also possible that there is a bug in the
reporting of the device identification although everything else is fine.

"Rojo Habe" <nosp@m.thx> wrote in message
> According to the Foxconn web site my motherboard (P9657AA) has a Realtek
> Ethernet adapter, but Windows (Vista Ultimate) detects it as a Marvell
> Yukon 88E8056. Do I have the wrong driver installed or is this adapter
> actually manufactured by Realtek? It seems to be working OK.

Carlos

RE: LAN driver discrepancy
Rojo Habe,
Here goes a good one.
Go to Device Manager, click on Network Adapters, right click on your network
adapter and choose Properties,
Go to the "Details" tab.
On the dropdown list choose Device Instance Id (I am translating from
Spanish into English so that may be a little different).
Take note of the four alphanumeric characters after PCI\VEN_
If it is 10EC it is Realtek.
If it is not 10EC, search for it here:
http://www.pcidatabase.com/reports.php?type=csv

Carlos

"Rojo Habe" wrote:

> According to the Foxconn web site my motherboard (P9657AA) has a Realtek
> Ethernet adapter, but Windows (Vista Ultimate) detects it as a Marvell Yukon
> 88E8056. Do I have the wrong driver installed or is this adapter actually
> manufactured by Realtek? It seems to be working OK.

Rojo Habe

Re: LAN driver discrepancy
Thanks to you both. It would appear (from following Carlos's advice) that
what Colin suggests is most likely: that they've used a different chip on
this particular board. That's assuming that the Device Instance Path is
read directly from the chip.

I only queried it because I prefer to update my drivers direct from the
manufacturer rather than trust Windows Update. When I went to the Foxconn
website the only LAN drivers listed for my board were the Realtek ones.

I'll trust that, in this one instance, Windows Update has got it right.