How do you set up Vista on a SATA drive?

M Skabialka

How do you set up Vista on a SATA drive?
Decided I needed a new PC, so bought and assembled all new components and
started to install Vista Business. The HDD is a 500GB SATA drive, the
DVD/RW is SATA. 8 GB RAM, but took that down to 4 GB since it isn't Vista
64bit edition..

Anyway, Vista started to install but got a BSOD within a minute. Checked
all hardware settings and tried again, and again. Every time it gets a
different STOP error. So used an XP CD to format the drive figuring that
was the problem. It finished formatting then said it couldn't copy a file
kodak??.??? Tried Vista again - BSOD.

Tried booting to the motherboard driver CD to find SATA drives but my only
options on boot up was to set up a RAID array. I'm happy with just a normal
non-RAID setup. There is no floppy drive. The Maxtor CD would not boot at
all.

So, how do you set up Vista on a new SATA drive? Is there a set of steps to
take that isn't listed in the drive or motherboard installation booklets?

Joe cann

Re: How do you set up Vista on a SATA drive?
you need to load the sata drivers perhaps while vista is in the first stages
of its install

"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
> Decided I needed a new PC, so bought and assembled all new components and
> started to install Vista Business. The HDD is a 500GB SATA drive, the
> DVD/RW is SATA. 8 GB RAM, but took that down to 4 GB since it isn't Vista
> 64bit edition..
>
> Anyway, Vista started to install but got a BSOD within a minute. Checked
> all hardware settings and tried again, and again. Every time it gets a
> different STOP error. So used an XP CD to format the drive figuring that
> was the problem. It finished formatting then said it couldn't copy a file
> kodak??.??? Tried Vista again - BSOD.
>
> Tried booting to the motherboard driver CD to find SATA drives but my only
> options on boot up was to set up a RAID array. I'm happy with just a
> normal non-RAID setup. There is no floppy drive. The Maxtor CD would not
> boot at all.
>

> So, how do you set up Vista on a new SATA drive? Is there a set of steps
> to take that isn't listed in the drive or motherboard installation
> booklets?

Mary

Re: How do you set up Vista on a SATA drive?
You need to use the vista disk to format, not the xp disk.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...522671033.mspx
"Joe cann" wrote:

> you need to load the sata drivers perhaps while vista is in the first stages
> of its install
>

> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
> > Decided I needed a new PC, so bought and assembled all new components and
> > started to install Vista Business. The HDD is a 500GB SATA drive, the
> > DVD/RW is SATA. 8 GB RAM, but took that down to 4 GB since it isn't Vista
> > 64bit edition..
> >
> > Anyway, Vista started to install but got a BSOD within a minute. Checked
> > all hardware settings and tried again, and again. Every time it gets a
> > different STOP error. So used an XP CD to format the drive figuring that
> > was the problem. It finished formatting then said it couldn't copy a file
> > kodak??.??? Tried Vista again - BSOD.
> >
> > Tried booting to the motherboard driver CD to find SATA drives but my only
> > options on boot up was to set up a RAID array. I'm happy with just a
> > normal non-RAID setup. There is no floppy drive. The Maxtor CD would not
> > boot at all.
> >

> > So, how do you set up Vista on a new SATA drive? Is there a set of steps
> > to take that isn't listed in the drive or motherboard installation
> > booklets?

M Skabialka

Re: How do you set up Vista on a SATA drive?
It doesn't get to that point - I get the BSOD almost as soon as Vista starts
to install. There is a white progress bar across the bottom, then sometimes
it gets as far as the screen with a flag and a small progress bar (like when
you boot your PC) and once I even got as far as the blue and green picture
used as the default desktop background, but never got to any point where I
am asked to install drivers or answer any prompts at all.

So how else do you install SATA drivers?

"Joe cann" <joe@beerget.com> wrote in message
> you need to load the sata drivers perhaps while vista is in the first
> stages of its install
>

> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>> Decided I needed a new PC, so bought and assembled all new components and
>> started to install Vista Business. The HDD is a 500GB SATA drive, the
>> DVD/RW is SATA. 8 GB RAM, but took that down to 4 GB since it isn't
>> Vista 64bit edition..
>>
>> Anyway, Vista started to install but got a BSOD within a minute. Checked
>> all hardware settings and tried again, and again. Every time it gets a
>> different STOP error. So used an XP CD to format the drive figuring that
>> was the problem. It finished formatting then said it couldn't copy a
>> file kodak??.??? Tried Vista again - BSOD.
>>
>> Tried booting to the motherboard driver CD to find SATA drives but my
>> only options on boot up was to set up a RAID array. I'm happy with just
>> a normal non-RAID setup. There is no floppy drive. The Maxtor CD would
>> not boot at all.
>>

>> So, how do you set up Vista on a new SATA drive? Is there a set of steps
>> to take that isn't listed in the drive or motherboard installation
>> booklets?

DP

Re: How do you set up Vista on a SATA drive?
How do you know the problem is with the SATA drive?
You said you're getting a variety of stop-errors. So why or how did you
pinpoint SATA drive as the problem? Could be anything, couldn't it?

"Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You need to use the vista disk to format, not the xp disk.
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...522671033.mspx
> "Joe cann" wrote:
>
>> you need to load the sata drivers perhaps while vista is in the first
>> stages
>> of its install
>>

>> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>> > Decided I needed a new PC, so bought and assembled all new components
>> > and
>> > started to install Vista Business. The HDD is a 500GB SATA drive, the
>> > DVD/RW is SATA. 8 GB RAM, but took that down to 4 GB since it isn't
>> > Vista
>> > 64bit edition..
>> >
>> > Anyway, Vista started to install but got a BSOD within a minute.
>> > Checked
>> > all hardware settings and tried again, and again. Every time it gets a
>> > different STOP error. So used an XP CD to format the drive figuring
>> > that
>> > was the problem. It finished formatting then said it couldn't copy a
>> > file
>> > kodak??.??? Tried Vista again - BSOD.
>> >
>> > Tried booting to the motherboard driver CD to find SATA drives but my
>> > only
>> > options on boot up was to set up a RAID array. I'm happy with just a
>> > normal non-RAID setup. There is no floppy drive. The Maxtor CD would
>> > not
>> > boot at all.
>> >

>> > So, how do you set up Vista on a new SATA drive? Is there a set of
>> > steps
>> > to take that isn't listed in the drive or motherboard installation
>> > booklets?

Malke

M Skabialka wrote:
> It doesn't get to that point - I get the BSOD almost as soon as Vista starts
> to install. There is a white progress bar across the bottom, then sometimes
> it gets as far as the screen with a flag and a small progress bar (like when
> you boot your PC) and once I even got as far as the blue and green picture
> used as the default desktop background, but never got to any point where I
> am asked to install drivers or answer any prompts at all.

Since you don't get to the point where you'd provide the controller
drivers for your SATA hard drive, some other piece of hardware is
failing or is not Vista-compliant. Since you built the machine yourself,
you're the tech support so start troubleshooting all your hardware.
Before you even do that, if you already didn't do this go to each
hardware component mftr.'s website and a) make sure it is
Vista-compatible; b) get the drivers for it.

Here are some general hardware troubleshooting steps. After you do them
(and replace anything that has failed, like the RAM), install with a
stripped down machine: 2GB of RAM only, 1 hard drive, 1 DVD drive, 1
video card. If you have a high-end video card, install using a
plain-vanilla one and put the fancy one in after the OS has installed
correctly.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Carlos

RE: How do you set up Vista on a SATA drive?
Hi,
Install Vista with only 2 GB RAM present.
Those BSOD's are a known issue with Vista installs on > 2 GB RAM.
After you are done with the installation you can safely place the
substracted 2 GB's in order to get your 4 GB back.
Carlos

Malke wrote:

> Here are some general hardware troubleshooting steps.

Sorry, I forgot the link:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Synapse Syndrome

Re: How do you set up Vista on a SATA drive?
"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message

> So, how do you set up Vista on a new SATA drive? Is there a set of steps
> to take that isn't listed in the drive or motherboard installation
> booklets?

Try turning the SATA ports to IDE Legacy mode in the BIOS, and then install
Vista. After that, be sure to turn the SATA ports back to AHCI mode if you
have an Intel chipset, or Enhanced SATA or whatever its called in nVidia or
VIA chipsets.

ss.

alexB

Re: How do you set up Vista on a SATA drive?
In addition to what Mary said, make sure NTFS is involved and 4096 block
size.