My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.

desbest

My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.
Hey
I know this problem is has alot of words to read but please read it.

Yesterday my 500gb capacity drive (i have used up 15gb space) worked fully
which I named BX2BXsq
The next time I got to use my drive, lots of folders were deleted.

I restarted my computer and accessed my drive and this error came up E:\ is
not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device
error.

My hard drive makes a funny clicking sound

I took my hard drive off and then on using another usb port and now it was
called Local Disk.

I took my hard drive off and then tried putting it into a mac (Mac OS X 10.4
Tiger) and the mac said that the drive was unreadable.

Now when putting my hard drive in my Windows XP computer, and a speech
bubble came up saying that my hardware was not recognised.

I know for a fact that my hard drive still has precious valuable data.
So have you got any ideas to recover data from my hard drive.
Colin Barnhorst

Re: My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.
Stop trying to read it before it fails completely. There are solutions for
reading the data off of a drive that has not yet failed completely. The
first thing I would do is contact your local computer store. They usually
have software to do recoveries. I use EasyRecovery™ DataRecovery from
OnTrack but it is too expensive for doing a single job like yours so inquire
about services locally. The important thing is not to keep firing up the
drive.

"desbest" <desbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey
> I know this problem is has alot of words to read but please read it.
>
> Yesterday my 500gb capacity drive (i have used up 15gb space) worked fully
> which I named BX2BXsq
> The next time I got to use my drive, lots of folders were deleted.
>
> I restarted my computer and accessed my drive and this error came up E:\
> is
> not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O
> device
> error.
>
> My hard drive makes a funny clicking sound
>
> I took my hard drive off and then on using another usb port and now it was
> called Local Disk.
>
> I took my hard drive off and then tried putting it into a mac (Mac OS X
> 10.4
> Tiger) and the mac said that the drive was unreadable.
>
> Now when putting my hard drive in my Windows XP computer, and a speech
> bubble came up saying that my hardware was not recognised.
>
> I know for a fact that my hard drive still has precious valuable data.
> So have you got any ideas to recover data from my hard drive.

desbest

Re: My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.
I've stopped putting my hard drive in computers ages ago as I didn't want to
corrupt it.
By the way, there is still data on my drive which hasn't been deleted which
I can't get to.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Stop trying to read it before it fails completely. There are solutions for
> reading the data off of a drive that has not yet failed completely. The
> first thing I would do is contact your local computer store. They usually
> have software to do recoveries. I use EasyRecovery™ DataRecovery from
> OnTrack but it is too expensive for doing a single job like yours so inquire
> about services locally. The important thing is not to keep firing up the
> drive.
>
> "desbest" <desbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey
> > I know this problem is has alot of words to read but please read it.
> >
> > Yesterday my 500gb capacity drive (i have used up 15gb space) worked fully
> > which I named BX2BXsq
> > The next time I got to use my drive, lots of folders were deleted.
> >
> > I restarted my computer and accessed my drive and this error came up E:\
> > is
> > not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O
> > device
> > error.
> >
> > My hard drive makes a funny clicking sound
> >
> > I took my hard drive off and then on using another usb port and now it was
> > called Local Disk.
> >
> > I took my hard drive off and then tried putting it into a mac (Mac OS X
> > 10.4
> > Tiger) and the mac said that the drive was unreadable.
> >
> > Now when putting my hard drive in my Windows XP computer, and a speech
> > bubble came up saying that my hardware was not recognised.
> >
> > I know for a fact that my hard drive still has precious valuable data.
> > So have you got any ideas to recover data from my hard drive.

Tom Ferguson

Re: My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.
Interesting. Where do you install Windows and your applications' program
files?

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"desbest" <desbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF499B29-2946-4BD2-872F-728F283EB509@microsoft.com...
> I've stopped putting my hard drive in computers ages ago as I didn't want
> corrupt it.
> By the way, there is still data on my drive which hasn't been deleted
> which
> I can't get to.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Stop trying to read it before it fails completely. There are solutions
>> for
>> reading the data off of a drive that has not yet failed completely. The
>> first thing I would do is contact your local computer store. They
>> usually
>> have software to do recoveries. I use EasyRecovery™ DataRecovery from
>> OnTrack but it is too expensive for doing a single job like yours so
>> inquire
>> about services locally. The important thing is not to keep firing up the
>> drive.
>>
>> "desbest" <desbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey
>> > I know this problem is has alot of words to read but please read it.
>> >
>> > Yesterday my 500gb capacity drive (i have used up 15gb space) worked
>> > fully
>> > which I named BX2BXsq
>> > The next time I got to use my drive, lots of folders were deleted.
>> >
>> > I restarted my computer and accessed my drive and this error came up
>> > E:\
>> > is
>> > not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O
>> > device
>> > error.
>> >
>> > My hard drive makes a funny clicking sound
>> >
>> > I took my hard drive off and then on using another usb port and now it
>> > was
>> > called Local Disk.
>> >
>> > I took my hard drive off and then tried putting it into a mac (Mac OS X
>> > 10.4
>> > Tiger) and the mac said that the drive was unreadable.
>> >
>> > Now when putting my hard drive in my Windows XP computer, and a speech
>> > bubble came up saying that my hardware was not recognised.
>> >
>> > I know for a fact that my hard drive still has precious valuable data.
>> > So have you got any ideas to recover data from my hard drive.

desbest

Re: My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.
C:\WINDOWS

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> Interesting. Where do you install Windows and your applications' program
> files?
>
> --
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "desbest" <desbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsF499B29-2946-4BD2-872F-728F283EB509@microsoft.com...
> > I've stopped putting my hard drive in computers ages ago as I didn't want
> > corrupt it.
> > By the way, there is still data on my drive which hasn't been deleted
> > which
> > I can't get to.
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> Stop trying to read it before it fails completely. There are solutions
> >> for
> >> reading the data off of a drive that has not yet failed completely. The
> >> first thing I would do is contact your local computer store. They
> >> usually
> >> have software to do recoveries. I use EasyRecovery™ DataRecovery from
> >> OnTrack but it is too expensive for doing a single job like yours so
> >> inquire
> >> about services locally. The important thing is not to keep firing up the
> >> drive.

Tom Ferguson

Re: My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.
Ha!

Well, if one asks the wrong question, the wrong answer is to be expected, I
suppose. I should have my question explicitly.

Is my interpretation correct of "my hard drive" as being a drive you used to
install as a second drive in the case but now have in an external USB case.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"desbest" <desbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news2B05AA6-A147-4C27-BC9B-D872399D7FA0@microsoft.com...
> C:\WINDOWS
>
> "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Interesting. Where do you install Windows and your applications' program
>> files?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom
>> MSMVP 1998-2007
>>
>> "desbest" <desbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsF499B29-2946-4BD2-872F-728F283EB509@microsoft.com...
>> > I've stopped putting my hard drive in computers ages ago as I didn't
>> > want
>> > corrupt it.
>> > By the way, there is still data on my drive which hasn't been deleted
>> > which
>> > I can't get to.

bradmasterx

Re: My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.

What to do this has happened to me exactly in the same order.

--
bradmasterx
bradmasterx's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=40935

http://forums.techarena.in

desbest

Re: My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.
The only thing you really can do is
1) Turn your pc and external hard drive off
2) Wait 15 minutes for it to cool down so you don't get an electric shock
3) Take apart your external hard drive and take the hard drive out of it.
4) Install the hard drive in your pc.

If the hard drive works, backup your data off it, to be safe. As stated
above, your hard drive may deterioate over time.

If it doesn't work, get a refund. In the uk you can get a refund without a
receipt provided that the product isn't working by law, if your staturary
rights are not affected.

"bradmasterx" wrote:

> What to do this has happened to me exactly in the same order.
>

> --
> bradmasterx
> bradmasterx's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=40935
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=897183
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

bradmasterx

Re: My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.

im using a laptop i dont have a pc :'(

--
bradmasterx
bradmasterx's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=40935
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=897183

http://forums.techarena.in

desbest

Re: My 500gb sumodisk external hard drive isn't working anyway.
Heres the email I got from sumdisk
--+--+::/\/\________________

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with your Sumo
Hard Drive and can totally understand your concerns relating to the data
stored on the drive. It is usually the case where the data stored on the hard
drive is more valuable to the customer than the actual hard drive itself.

Under normal circumstances, breaking the seal on the product will void the
warranty. However in your case and with the intention of removing the hard
drive to connect to an IDE port in an attempt to reclaim your data, we can
authorise you to break the warranty seal to do this. Please ensure that care
is taken when removing the drive from the casing and no damage is caused
during this process. Unfortunately if the product is physically damaged
during this process, the warranty of the hardware will be void and a
replacement will not be offered. If you experience difficulties removing the
Hard Drive form the enclosure and require assistance with this, please do not
hesitate to call the Technical Support line on 01423 704715 where one of our
technicians will be happy to assist you.

Please also ensure that this email accompanies any RMA request, to show that
authorisation has been granted for the cover to be removed.

Regards

Regards

Martin Burrage
Technical Support Supervisor
CCI Distribution Ltd
Direct Line: 01423 704715
Fax: 01423 873409
Email: support @sumodisk.com
Web: http://www.ccidistribution.co.uk

CCI Distribution Ltd is a limited company registered in England, with
registration number 3371018.
Registered Office and principal place of business: Crimple Court, Hornbeam
Business Park, Harrogate, HG2 8PA