Replacing CPU

Clayton

Replacing CPU
Can someone recommend the best compound to apply when replacing a CPU to
heatsink?

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Replacing CPU
ArctiClean is a two-step cleaning process that removes existing thermal
grease or pads and prepares the thermal surface for a fresh application of
thermal interface material.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

Arctic Silver 5 is optimized for use between modern high-power CPUs and high
performance heatsinks or water-cooling solutions.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Richard Urban

Re: Replacing CPU
Arctic Silver.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Can someone recommend the best compound to apply when replacing a CPU to
> heatsink?
>
> Thanks

Dustin Harper

Re: Replacing CPU
Acrtic Silver is probably the best. Other than that, NanoTherm is good.

But, if you are not overclocking, pretty much any thermal compound will
work.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Can someone recommend the best compound to apply when replacing a CPU to
> heatsink?
>
> Thanks

Clayton

Re: Replacing CPU
Thanks

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Acrtic Silver is probably the best. Other than that, NanoTherm is good.
>
> But, if you are not overclocking, pretty much any thermal compound will
> work.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Can someone recommend the best compound to apply when replacing a CPU to
>> heatsink?
>>
>> Thanks

Clayton

Re: Replacing CPU
Hi Guys,
When applying the Arctic Silver, do I apply a blob of compound and apply the
heat sink or do you need to spread it out evenly first?

Cheers

> Thanks
>
> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> Acrtic Silver is probably the best. Other than that, NanoTherm is good.
>>
>> But, if you are not overclocking, pretty much any thermal compound will
>> work.
>>
>> --
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>
>> --
>> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> Can someone recommend the best compound to apply when replacing a CPU to
>>> heatsink?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Richard Urban

Re: Replacing CPU
You only need a dab the size of a piece of rice. Then spread it out as
thinly as you can with a business card. Too much is no good. Throw away what
comes off on the card.

--

> Hi Guys,
> When applying the Arctic Silver, do I apply a blob of compound and apply
> the heat sink or do you need to spread it out evenly first?
>

> Cheers
>

> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>>> Acrtic Silver is probably the best. Other than that, NanoTherm is good.
>>>
>>> But, if you are not overclocking, pretty much any thermal compound will
>>> work.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dustin Harper
>>> dharper@vistarip.com
>>> http://www.vistarip.com

Clayton

Re: Replacing CPU
what if I put a dab on and apply the heatsink and let that do the job

> You only need a dab the size of a piece of rice. Then spread it out as
> thinly as you can with a business card. Too much is no good. Throw away
> what comes off on the card.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys,
>> When applying the Arctic Silver, do I apply a blob of compound and apply
>> the heat sink or do you need to spread it out evenly first?
>>

>> Cheers
>>

>> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> Thanks

Richard Urban

Re: Replacing CPU
As you wish, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

--

> what if I put a dab on and apply the heatsink and let that do the job

>> You only need a dab the size of a piece of rice. Then spread it out as
>> thinly as you can with a business card. Too much is no good. Throw away
>> what comes off on the card.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban MVP
>> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> Hi Guys,
>>> When applying the Arctic Silver, do I apply a blob of compound and apply
>>> the heat sink or do you need to spread it out evenly first?
>>>

>>> Cheers

mikeyhsd

Re: Replacing CPU
most likely to get hot spots because it is not evenly spread around.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com