Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot

Quik

Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot
Hello,

My computer freezes and reboots when I surf the web. I use Firefox, Internet
Explorer just doesn't cut it for me. My Windows is fully up to date. It also
happens when I use Azureus.

AMD Athlon 64+ X2 6400+ Black Edition

Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Cooling

WD Raptor 36 GB Primary Hard Drive

ASUS M2N-E SLI Motherboard

Seagate 7200.1 500 GB Hard Drive

Ultra X-Finity 600w PSU

OCZ Vista Upgrade Dual Channel 4096MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory

BFG Tech nVidia 8800 GTX 768 MB Video Card

Apevia Black X-Plorer ATX Mid-Tower Case (to which I have attached 3 80mm
fans and one 120mm fan)

What do you think it can be?

Quik

RE: Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot
Just happened again while viewing the optional updates. I'm using Windows
Vista Ultimate.
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot
Do you have a way to read the mobo temperature?

"Quik" <Quik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My computer freezes and reboots when I surf the web. I use Firefox,
> Internet
> Explorer just doesn't cut it for me. My Windows is fully up to date. It
> also
> happens when I use Azureus.
>
> AMD Athlon 64+ X2 6400+ Black Edition
>
> Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Cooling
>
> WD Raptor 36 GB Primary Hard Drive
>
> ASUS M2N-E SLI Motherboard
>
> Seagate 7200.1 500 GB Hard Drive
>
> Ultra X-Finity 600w PSU
>
> OCZ Vista Upgrade Dual Channel 4096MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory
>
> BFG Tech nVidia 8800 GTX 768 MB Video Card
>
> Apevia Black X-Plorer ATX Mid-Tower Case (to which I have attached 3 80mm
> fans and one 120mm fan)
>
> What do you think it can be?

Quik

Re: Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot
Yes, ASUS' PCPROBE II it idles at 36 and maxes out at 43. Asus says it
shouldn't go past 45-50, I'm quite sure cooling isn't the problem
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot
Good. That is the first thing to check with the symtoms you are seeing.
The next step is to reseat the video card, then the ram. After that,
connectors.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Good. That is the first thing to check with the symtoms you are seeing.
> The next step is to reseat the video card, then the ram. After that,
> connectors.

Already done all that, it's not the ram or the video card. What do you mean
by "connectors"? Specifically which connectors could cause this to happen?
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot
The hard drive connectors come to mind.

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Good. That is the first thing to check with the symtoms you are seeing.
>> The next step is to reseat the video card, then the ram. After that,
>> connectors.

> Already done all that, it's not the ram or the video card. What do you
> mean
> by "connectors"? Specifically which connectors could cause this to happen?

Quik

Re: Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot
Okay, I just checked the SATA power and data cables and redid my connections
and booted the computer. Less than 10 minutes after I started using it, it
crashed again. The connections looked fine to begin with though. Any other
ideas?
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot
Is Firefox up to date with the lastest patch? There have been memory leak
issues with Firefox and since you seem to always be surfing when this
happens I just thought I'd ask. If it is up to date then it might be time
to uninstall it and reboot for testing purposes. Azureus as well. If the
issue persists when testing with just IE7 at least you will have eliminated
some likely possibilities.

> Okay, I just checked the SATA power and data cables and redid my
> connections
> and booted the computer. Less than 10 minutes after I started using it, it
> crashed again. The connections looked fine to begin with though. Any other
> ideas?

Quik

Re: Vista Freeze and Auto-Reboot
Well I reinstalled Winamp, Azureus and Firefox and I had them running all at
once now and the computer crashed again. It took longer to crash but it
crashed. I was looking at vista's resource monitor and it was telling me
almost 150 hard fails/min on the Azureus.exe process. I did a test with
Microsoft's Memory Diagnostic and I had 2 runs with it and 0 errors...

It just happened recently though, I had the computer running for a month and
a half without problems and its starting to give me problems now.