Nvidia driver installation problem

Kirk

Nvidia driver installation problem
I'm attempting to install the latest Nvidia drivers (101.41 beta). Here is
a synopsis of my system:

Dell XPS Gen3
Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
3.4 GHz P4
2 Gb DIMM memory
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (Current driver - Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

After uninstalling the WDDM driver and attempting to update to the new
Nvidia driver, I get a setup error message saying, in essence, that setup
detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista. Actually
this has happened on the 100.64 drivers as well.

Nothing else that I've installed (to date) requiring Vista as the OS has
caused problems. I've sent the problem to Nvidia support, but I thought I
might get some insight from here long before I hear from Nvidia.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's something right in front of my
nose, but I can't see it.

Thanks,
Kirk

JW

Re: Nvidia driver installation problem
Are you trying to run the correct version of theVista 101.41 Beta on the
Vista OS you are using?
Ie if you are running Vist x86 are you trying to install the 64 bit drives
or vice versa?

"Kirk" <kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm attempting to install the latest Nvidia drivers (101.41 beta). Here
> is a synopsis of my system:
>
> Dell XPS Gen3
> Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
> 3.4 GHz P4
> 2 Gb DIMM memory
> NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (Current driver - Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
>
> After uninstalling the WDDM driver and attempting to update to the new
> Nvidia driver, I get a setup error message saying, in essence, that setup
> detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista. Actually
> this has happened on the 100.64 drivers as well.
>
> Nothing else that I've installed (to date) requiring Vista as the OS has
> caused problems. I've sent the problem to Nvidia support, but I thought I
> might get some insight from here long before I hear from Nvidia.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's something right in front of
> my nose, but I can't see it.
>
> Thanks,
> Kirk

Kirk

Re: Nvidia driver installation problem
I meant to say that I'm attempting to install the x86 driver.
Kirk

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> Are you trying to run the correct version of theVista 101.41 Beta on the
> Vista OS you are using?
> Ie if you are running Vist x86 are you trying to install the 64 bit
> drives or vice versa?
>
> "Kirk" <kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm attempting to install the latest Nvidia drivers (101.41 beta). Here
>> is a synopsis of my system:
>>
>> Dell XPS Gen3
>> Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
>> 3.4 GHz P4
>> 2 Gb DIMM memory
>> NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (Current driver - Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
>>
>> After uninstalling the WDDM driver and attempting to update to the new
>> Nvidia driver, I get a setup error message saying, in essence, that setup
>> detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista. Actually
>> this has happened on the 100.64 drivers as well.
>>
>> Nothing else that I've installed (to date) requiring Vista as the OS has
>> caused problems. I've sent the problem to Nvidia support, but I thought
>> I might get some insight from here long before I hear from Nvidia.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's something right in front of
>> my nose, but I can't see it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kirk

RGBean

Re: Nvidia driver installation problem
Kirk,
I have a similar setup:
Dell XPS 600
Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
3.4 GHz P4 D EE
2 Gb DIMM memory
2 NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX SLI

The only driver that's worked for me is 97.46.
Versions 100.64, 100.65 and 101.41 have all failed for me.

Rick

"Kirk" <kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm attempting to install the latest Nvidia drivers (101.41 beta). Here
> is a synopsis of my system:
>
> Dell XPS Gen3
> Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
> 3.4 GHz P4
> 2 Gb DIMM memory
> NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (Current driver - Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
>
> After uninstalling the WDDM driver and attempting to update to the new
> Nvidia driver, I get a setup error message saying, in essence, that setup
> detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista. Actually
> this has happened on the 100.64 drivers as well.
>
> Nothing else that I've installed (to date) requiring Vista as the OS has
> caused problems. I've sent the problem to Nvidia support, but I thought I
> might get some insight from here long before I hear from Nvidia.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's something right in front of
> my nose, but I can't see it.
>
> Thanks,
> Kirk

Kirk

Re: Nvidia driver installation problem
Thanks Rick. 97.46 installed without a hitch. Not sure why the later
driver versions won't. Hope I hear back from Nvidia, but I'm not going to
hold my breath.

Kirk

"RGBean" <rgbean@NOSPAMmelange-inc.com> wrote in message
> Kirk,
> I have a similar setup:
> Dell XPS 600
> Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
> 3.4 GHz P4 D EE
> 2 Gb DIMM memory
> 2 NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX SLI
>
> The only driver that's worked for me is 97.46.
> Versions 100.64, 100.65 and 101.41 have all failed for me.
>
> Rick
>
> "Kirk" <kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm attempting to install the latest Nvidia drivers (101.41 beta). Here
>> is a synopsis of my system:
>>
>> Dell XPS Gen3
>> Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
>> 3.4 GHz P4
>> 2 Gb DIMM memory
>> NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (Current driver - Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
>>
>> After uninstalling the WDDM driver and attempting to update to the new
>> Nvidia driver, I get a setup error message saying, in essence, that setup
>> detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista. Actually
>> this has happened on the 100.64 drivers as well.
>>
>> Nothing else that I've installed (to date) requiring Vista as the OS has
>> caused problems. I've sent the problem to Nvidia support, but I thought
>> I might get some insight from here long before I hear from Nvidia.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's something right in front of
>> my nose, but I can't see it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kirk

HDFatBoy2003

Re: Nvidia driver installation problem
I encounter similar error while installing one of the 100.xx drivers. I
disabled UAC and then ran the installer as an administrator. Installed just
fine after that.

> Thanks Rick. 97.46 installed without a hitch. Not sure why the later
> driver versions won't. Hope I hear back from Nvidia, but I'm not going to
> hold my breath.
>
> Kirk
>
> "RGBean" <rgbean@NOSPAMmelange-inc.com> wrote in message
>> Kirk,
>> I have a similar setup:
>> Dell XPS 600
>> Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
>> 3.4 GHz P4 D EE
>> 2 Gb DIMM memory
>> 2 NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX SLI
>>
>> The only driver that's worked for me is 97.46.
>> Versions 100.64, 100.65 and 101.41 have all failed for me.
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> "Kirk" <kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm attempting to install the latest Nvidia drivers (101.41 beta). Here
>>> is a synopsis of my system:
>>>
>>> Dell XPS Gen3
>>> Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
>>> 3.4 GHz P4
>>> 2 Gb DIMM memory
>>> NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (Current driver - Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
>>>
>>> After uninstalling the WDDM driver and attempting to update to the new
>>> Nvidia driver, I get a setup error message saying, in essence, that
>>> setup detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista.
>>> Actually this has happened on the 100.64 drivers as well.
>>>
>>> Nothing else that I've installed (to date) requiring Vista as the OS has
>>> caused problems. I've sent the problem to Nvidia support, but I thought
>>> I might get some insight from here long before I hear from Nvidia.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's something right in front
>>> of my nose, but I can't see it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kirk

The Traveler

Re: Nvidia driver installation problem
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 13:55:43 -0600, "Kirk"
<kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm attempting to install the latest Nvidia drivers (101.41 beta). Here is
>a synopsis of my system:
>
>Dell XPS Gen3
>Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
>3.4 GHz P4
>2 Gb DIMM memory
>NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (Current driver - Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
>
>After uninstalling the WDDM driver and attempting to update to the new
>Nvidia driver, I get a setup error message saying, in essence, that setup
>detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista. Actually
>this has happened on the 100.64 drivers as well.
>
>Nothing else that I've installed (to date) requiring Vista as the OS has
>caused problems. I've sent the problem to Nvidia support, but I thought I
>might get some insight from here long before I hear from Nvidia.
>
>Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's something right in front of my
>nose, but I can't see it.
>
>Thanks,
> Kirk

FWIW, I am using 101.41 with my system and it is working. I had no
problems installing it or the previous beta version.

My system:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 w/nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI
RAM: 2048 MB (Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO - DDR2-800, PC2-6400)
BIOS: Award Modular (06/19/06)
Video: BFG - NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT OC (w/512 MB DDR3)
O/S: Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit version)
AV: AVG Pro 7.5x
AS/FW: Microsoft OneCare suite

______________________

The Traveller
Oceanside, California
Kirk

Re: Nvidia driver installation problem
Thanks for the input. I really don't want to disable UAC, but I have run as
administrator and that didn't work either. I've read that disabling UAC and
then re-enabling can cause some "issues" with the registry, but I don't know
for sure and really don't want to find out first hand. I did get a response
from NVIDIA last night, but they couldn't open my Office 2007 Word document
which contained a synopsis of my system and a copy of the error box that
pops up during installation. I resent, but haven't heard anything back as
of this morning.

Kirk

"HDFatBoy2003" <H_D_FatBoy2003@msn.com> wrote in message
>I encounter similar error while installing one of the 100.xx drivers. I
>disabled UAC and then ran the installer as an administrator. Installed
>just fine after that.
>

> "Kirk" <kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Rick. 97.46 installed without a hitch. Not sure why the later
>> driver versions won't. Hope I hear back from Nvidia, but I'm not going
>> to hold my breath.
>>
>> Kirk
>>
>> "RGBean" <rgbean@NOSPAMmelange-inc.com> wrote in message
>>> Kirk,
>>> I have a similar setup:
>>> Dell XPS 600
>>> Windows Vista Ultimate (build 6000) - clean install
>>> 3.4 GHz P4 D EE
>>> 2 Gb DIMM memory
>>> 2 NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX SLI
>>>
>>> The only driver that's worked for me is 97.46.
>>> Versions 100.64, 100.65 and 101.41 have all failed for me.
>>>
>>> Rick

Kirk

Re: Nvidia driver installation problem
Thanks for the info. I'll keep running with 97.46 for now and hope that I
get another response from NVIDIA. I just really curious about where the
install procedure is going to determine the version of windows I'm running.

Kirk