Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?

Noel

Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?

I am putting together a new build and since PC-6400 DDR2 is sooo cheap I
thought I might consider 8GB on an X38 board.

I already have 2x2GB dimms, and was guessing if I went to 8GB it might
be nice to have 4 identical DIMMS, which are still available (ie,
another 2x2gb of the pair I have now).

Anyone have wisdom about this? My main uses NOW are MS Flight
Simulator, Gigastudio, and both of those benefit from at least 3GB,
beyond that I don't know. I don't forsee video editing . . .

Thanks for your replies,

Noel

--
Noel
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?
You may have much better luck with pc5300 ram. This newsgroup has dozens of
postings on the problems of trying to use pc6400 ram in all four dimm slots
on many mobos. I am running 3 2GB dimms in this machine now because it will
not boot with all 4 slots filled. The amount of memory is not the issue but
the number of dimms used seems to be. Research your mobo on the
manufacturer's website and especially the user forums there. And read the
threads on this newsgroup on similar problems with ram.

"Noel" <Noel.33f7t4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I am putting together a new build and since PC-6400 DDR2 is sooo cheap I
> thought I might consider 8GB on an X38 board.
>
> I already have 2x2GB dimms, and was guessing if I went to 8GB it might
> be nice to have 4 identical DIMMS, which are still available (ie,
> another 2x2gb of the pair I have now).
>
> Anyone have wisdom about this? My main uses NOW are MS Flight
> Simulator, Gigastudio, and both of those benefit from at least 3GB,
> beyond that I don't know. I don't forsee video editing . . .
>
> Thanks for your replies,
>
> Noel
>

> --
> Noel

Richard G. Harper [MVP]

Re: Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?
At the moment, the big "thud" in memory usage is games. Few games can take
advantage of more than 4gb of memory and some actually quit working if there
is more than 4gb of memory available to them. So it may not benefit you to
add more memory now and you might even see things that are working ... quit
working.

"Noel" <Noel.33f7t4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I am putting together a new build and since PC-6400 DDR2 is sooo cheap I
> thought I might consider 8GB on an X38 board.
>
> I already have 2x2GB dimms, and was guessing if I went to 8GB it might
> be nice to have 4 identical DIMMS, which are still available (ie,
> another 2x2gb of the pair I have now).
>
> Anyone have wisdom about this? My main uses NOW are MS Flight
> Simulator, Gigastudio, and both of those benefit from at least 3GB,
> beyond that I don't know. I don't forsee video editing . . .
>
> Thanks for your replies,
>
> Noel
>

> --
> Noel

Noel

--
Noel
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?
Like I said, try it with pc5300, not pc6400. By the way, dual booting XP
and Vista on a production or primary home computer is not a good idea. All
of the VSS files used by Vista's recovery facilities are wiped out on each
boot into XP. That means restore points, previous versions files,
CompletePC Backup images, and backup files made by the new file backup
program just vanish. If you are testing or gaming this is not a big deal,
but if you are into videos and photos and such you might not want to risk
your capability of recovering from a file problem.

"Noel" <Noel.33gl44@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> 'Richard G. Harper [MVP Wrote:
>> ;578589']At the moment, the big "thud" in memory usage is games. Few
>> games can take
>> advantage of more than 4gb of memory and some actually quit working if
>> there
>> is more than 4gb of memory available to them. So it may not benefit you
>> add more memory now and you might even see things that are working ...
>> quit
>> working.
>>
>> I guess everything will be on a case by case basis. I am def going to
>> dual boot to Vista 64 & XP 32, and so will just have to experiment and
>> see how it goes. The take home message everywhere I ask this question
>> is basically, "It all depends . . ." I wish to use 8GB for Gigastudio
>> primarily, on Vista 64, for which there is a new release.

> --
> Noel

Jawade

Re: Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?
In article <B490804C-0F36-42EF-B5D1-0B486FDA46FB@microsoft.com>, Colin Barnhorst
<c.barnhorst@comcast.net> says...
> Like I said, try it with pc5300, not pc6400. By the way, dual booting XP
> and Vista on a production or primary home computer is not a good idea. All
> of the VSS files used by Vista's recovery facilities are wiped out on each
> boot into XP. That means restore points, previous versions files,
> CompletePC Backup images, and backup files made by the new file backup
> program just vanish. If you are testing or gaming this is not a big deal,
> but if you are into videos and photos and such you might not want to risk
> your capability of recovering from a file problem.

It's a good idea to use a 3th party bootmanager.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Weer veel vernieuwd!
http://jawade.nl/ Met een mirror op http://jawade.fortunecity.com/
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?
That has been tried since early in the beta test program and did no good.
None of the favorites among boot managers hide the Vista volume in such a
way as to prevent the problem.

"Jawade" <Henk_Jawade@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.21fd595e70b62d6f989800@news.microsoft.com ...
> In article <B490804C-0F36-42EF-B5D1-0B486FDA46FB@microsoft.com>, Colin
> Barnhorst
> <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> says...
>> Like I said, try it with pc5300, not pc6400. By the way, dual booting XP
>> and Vista on a production or primary home computer is not a good idea.
>> All
>> of the VSS files used by Vista's recovery facilities are wiped out on
>> each
>> boot into XP. That means restore points, previous versions files,
>> CompletePC Backup images, and backup files made by the new file backup
>> program just vanish. If you are testing or gaming this is not a big
>> deal,
>> but if you are into videos and photos and such you might not want to risk
>> your capability of recovering from a file problem.

> It's a good idea to use a 3th party bootmanager.
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Weer veel vernieuwd!
> http://jawade.nl/ Met een mirror op http://jawade.fortunecity.com/
> Bootmanager (+Vista), ClrMBR, DiskEditors, POP3lezer, Filebrowser,
> Kalender, Webtellers en IP-log, Linux-Diskeditor, USB-stick tester

Curious

Re: Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?
Is this true if the OSs are on two different HDDs as well as when in 2
partitions on the same HDD?

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Like I said, try it with pc5300, not pc6400. By the way, dual booting XP
> and Vista on a production or primary home computer is not a good idea.
> All of the VSS files used by Vista's recovery facilities are wiped out on
> each boot into XP. That means restore points, previous versions files,
> CompletePC Backup images, and backup files made by the new file backup
> program just vanish. If you are testing or gaming this is not a big deal,
> but if you are into videos and photos and such you might not want to risk
> your capability of recovering from a file problem.
>
> "Noel" <Noel.33gl44@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> 'Richard G. Harper [MVP Wrote:
>>> ;578589']At the moment, the big "thud" in memory usage is games. Few
>>> games can take
>>> advantage of more than 4gb of memory and some actually quit working if
>>> there
>>> is more than 4gb of memory available to them. So it may not benefit you
>>> add more memory now and you might even see things that are working ...
>>> quit
>>> working.
>>>
>>> I guess everything will be on a case by case basis. I am def going to
>>> dual boot to Vista 64 & XP 32, and so will just have to experiment and
>>> see how it goes. The take home message everywhere I ask this question
>>> is basically, "It all depends . . ." I wish to use 8GB for Gigastudio
>>> primarily, on Vista 64, for which there is a new release.

>> --
>> Noel

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?
Volsnap.sys enumerates VSS files systemwide. It doesn't care about the
configuration. It does not distinguish between partitions or drives. It
only cares about volumes (things with drive letters).

"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Is this true if the OSs are on two different HDDs as well as when in 2
> partitions on the same HDD?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Like I said, try it with pc5300, not pc6400. By the way, dual booting XP
>> and Vista on a production or primary home computer is not a good idea.
>> All of the VSS files used by Vista's recovery facilities are wiped out on
>> each boot into XP. That means restore points, previous versions files,
>> CompletePC Backup images, and backup files made by the new file backup
>> program just vanish. If you are testing or gaming this is not a big
>> deal, but if you are into videos and photos and such you might not want
>> to risk your capability of recovering from a file problem.
>>
>> "Noel" <Noel.33gl44@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

>>> --
>>> Noel

DevilsPGD

Re: Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?
In message <2978F06B-7BE7-4AA0-BE2A-EF8BAAA2CA8A@microsoft.com>
"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>Is this true if the OSs are on two different HDDs as well as when in 2
>partitions on the same HDD?

Yes. Anything that mounts the drive will cause this issue.