Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820

Kjeld_h

Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820

Hi
I have a Dell D820 w. 1 GB RAM.
When I try to install Vista and the computer is loading the DVD - I'am
told that the pc/cpu is not able to load a 64 bit appl.
It is a Intel T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz. CPU.
I have tryed to change/setup the BIOS (version 7) any posible way.
Have anyone tryed to install Vista x64 on a Dell D820? Please help...

--
Kjeld_h
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820
Download and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Kjeld_h" <Kjeld_h.33eno1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message news:Kjeld_h.33eno1@no-mx.forums.net...

Hi
I have a Dell D820 w. 1 GB RAM.
When I try to install Vista and the computer is loading the DVD - I'am
told that the pc/cpu is not able to load a 64 bit appl.
It is a Intel T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz. CPU.
I have tryed to change/setup the BIOS (version 7) any posible way.
Have anyone tryed to install Vista x64 on a Dell D820? Please help...

--
Kjeld_h
jerryw4386

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Download and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
>
> Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Kjeld_h" <Kjeld_h.33eno1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message news:Kjeld_h.33eno1@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Hi
> I have a Dell D820 w. 1 GB RAM.
> When I try to install Vista and the computer is loading the DVD - I'am
> told that the pc/cpu is not able to load a 64 bit appl.
> It is a Intel T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz. CPU.
> I have tryed to change/setup the BIOS (version 7) any posible way.
> Have anyone tryed to install Vista x64 on a Dell D820? Please help...
>

> --
> Kjeld_h

Hi
The Intel T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz. CPU.
It is not a {{64 bit cpu}} it is only 32 bit and it will not run a 64 bit OS
of any kind
download {cpuz} from the internet it will tell you !!
Good Luck !!
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820
Then why does Dell list Vista x64 drivers for the D820? I never heard of an
Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino or otherwise, that was not 64-bit. Where did you
get the info that this machine was not 64-bit capable?

"jerryw4386" <jerryw4386@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Download and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
>>
>> Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

>> "Kjeld_h" <Kjeld_h.33eno1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi
>> I have a Dell D820 w. 1 GB RAM.
>> When I try to install Vista and the computer is loading the DVD - I'am
>> told that the pc/cpu is not able to load a 64 bit appl.
>> It is a Intel T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz. CPU.
>> I have tryed to change/setup the BIOS (version 7) any posible way.
>> Have anyone tryed to install Vista x64 on a Dell D820? Please help...
>>

>> --
>> Kjeld_h

> Hi
> The Intel T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz. CPU.
> It is not a {{64 bit cpu}} it is only 32 bit and it will not run a 64 bit
> OS
> of any kind
> download {cpuz} from the internet it will tell you !!
> Good Luck !!

Jane C

Re: Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820
Hi,

You will get an error message if you try to install Vista x64 from a 32 bit
desktop. To install any 64 bit version requires you to boot from the DVD.
Make sure that your BIOS is set to boot first from DVD.

Do make sure to back up all of your files and documents first, as 64 bit
must be clean installed. It cannot upgrade your current 32 bit operating
system.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Kjeld_h" <Kjeld_h.33eno1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi
> I have a Dell D820 w. 1 GB RAM.
> When I try to install Vista and the computer is loading the DVD - I'am
> told that the pc/cpu is not able to load a 64 bit appl.
> It is a Intel T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz. CPU.
> I have tryed to change/setup the BIOS (version 7) any posible way.
> Have anyone tryed to install Vista x64 on a Dell D820? Please help...
>

> --
> Kjeld_h

Tom Lake

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Then why does Dell list Vista x64 drivers for the D820? I never heard of
> an Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino or otherwise, that was not 64-bit. Where
> did you get the info that this machine was not 64-bit capable?

Go to

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...sors/index.htm

and you'll see that Intel Extended Memory 64 (Intel EM64T) is NOT a feature
of the T2500.

Dell includes 64-bit drivers because a 64-bit capable CPU is optional in the
D820.
Unfortunately, you didn't get one of the higher-end processors.

Tom Lake

Curious

Re: Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820
But that does not mean that it is not a 64bit processor or that it will not
run a 64 bit OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core
"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Then why does Dell list Vista x64 drivers for the D820? I never heard of
>> an Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino or otherwise, that was not 64-bit. Where
>> did you get the info that this machine was not 64-bit capable?

> Go to
>
> http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...sors/index.htm
>
> and you'll see that Intel Extended Memory 64 (Intel EM64T) is NOT a
> feature of the T2500.
>
> Dell includes 64-bit drivers because a 64-bit capable CPU is optional in
> the D820.
> Unfortunately, you didn't get one of the higher-end processors.
>
> Tom Lake

Jane C

Re: Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820
According to this:

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...rt/coreduo.htm

variants of the T2500 have VT, which is only availalbe on 64 bit cpus.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Then why does Dell list Vista x64 drivers for the D820? I never heard of
>> an Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino or otherwise, that was not 64-bit. Where
>> did you get the info that this machine was not 64-bit capable?

> Go to
>
> http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...sors/index.htm
>
> and you'll see that Intel Extended Memory 64 (Intel EM64T) is NOT a
> feature of the T2500.
>
> Dell includes 64-bit drivers because a 64-bit capable CPU is optional in
> the D820.
> Unfortunately, you didn't get one of the higher-end processors.
>
> Tom Lake

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820
Nonsense. The manufacturer is not going to list drivers for x64 just on the
chance a customer might upgrade a cpu. They are listing drivers for the
machine in factory condition. Show me a Core 2 Solo, Duo, or Quad that is
not a 64-bit cpu. Only the Core Solo and Duo are not 64-bit.

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Then why does Dell list Vista x64 drivers for the D820? I never heard of
>> an Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino or otherwise, that was not 64-bit. Where
>> did you get the info that this machine was not 64-bit capable?

> Go to
>
> http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...sors/index.htm
>
> and you'll see that Intel Extended Memory 64 (Intel EM64T) is NOT a
> feature of the T2500.
>
> Dell includes 64-bit drivers because a 64-bit capable CPU is optional in
> the D820.
> Unfortunately, you didn't get one of the higher-end processors.
>
> Tom Lake

Tom Lake

"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> But that does not mean that it is not a 64bit processor or that it will not run a 64 bit
> OS.

That's exactly what it means. EM64T is the way Intel chips run 64-bit
programs. No EM64T, no 64-bit.

Tom Lake