Partition allocation

Sangs

Partition allocation
I have Windows vista home edition , hard disk 160GB. Created partion through
Shrink of 60 GB. Now showing as 58.59 GB unallocated.
When Through "New simple volume", what should be the simple volume size as
selecting 59gb or any other size, shows "there is not enough space available
on the disk(s) to complete this operation"

Can anyone suggest? Restore has already been disabled
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Partition allocation
Working Around Windows Vista's "Shrink Volume" Inadequacy Problems:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...uacy-problems/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Sangs" wrote:

I have Windows vista home edition , hard disk 160GB. Created partion through
Shrink of 60 GB. Now showing as 58.59 GB unallocated.
When Through "New simple volume", what should be the simple volume size as
selecting 59gb or any other size, shows "there is not enough space available
on the disk(s) to complete this operation"

Can anyone suggest? Restore has already been disabled
John Barnett MVP

Re: Partition allocation
To be honest I don't trust Vista's Shrink or extend partition options;
they're certainly not the brightest bulbs in the box. For better control I
prefer to use third party applications such as Acronis Disk Director or
Paragon Hard Disk Suite 2008. Obviously neither are free, but they certainly
do a better job of disk management than Microsoft's feeble attempts.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Sangs" <Sangs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows vista home edition , hard disk 160GB. Created partion
>through
> Shrink of 60 GB. Now showing as 58.59 GB unallocated.
> When Through "New simple volume", what should be the simple volume size as
> selecting 59gb or any other size, shows "there is not enough space
> available
> on the disk(s) to complete this operation"
>
> Can anyone suggest? Restore has already been disabled

John Barnett MVP

Re: Partition allocation
To be honest I don't trust Vista's Shrink or extend partition options;
they're certainly not the brightest bulbs in the box. For better control I
prefer to use third party applications such as Acronis Disk Director or
Paragon Hard Disk Suite 2008. Obviously neither are free, but they certainly
do a better job of disk management than Microsoft's feeble attempts.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Sangs" <Sangs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows vista home edition , hard disk 160GB. Created partion
>through
> Shrink of 60 GB. Now showing as 58.59 GB unallocated.
> When Through "New simple volume", what should be the simple volume size as
> selecting 59gb or any other size, shows "there is not enough space
> available
> on the disk(s) to complete this operation"
>
> Can anyone suggest? Restore has already been disabled

R. C. White

Re: Partition allocation
Hi, Sangs.

When you say, "Created partition through Shrink", do you mean by using the
Shrink Volume function of Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)? Or are you using
some third-party utility named Shrink?

You may simply be the victim of sometimes-inconsistent hard drive size
arithmetic, where 60 GB does not always equal 60,000 MB. :>( Will the
Wizard let you use whatever number shows up by default in the requested size
box?

Have you rebooted since shrinking the first partition? Sometimes the BIOS
and Vista need a fresh start to get in sync as to hard drive and partition
sizes. Maybe exiting and restarting Disk Management would be enough; maybe
not.

Vista also includes the DiskPart shell (diskpart.exe). This is more
powerful (and therefore can be more dangerous) than Disk Management; it
might do what you need without third-party help. But be careful with it.

I have used DM's Shrink Volume function successfully a few times.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX