CD and DVD discs not recognized

Chris

CD and DVD discs not recognized
I have searched the forums through and through, i have removed filters from
the registry, rebooted, deleted the driver from device manager and let the
system reinstall.

When I put a disc in my drive, autoplay does not start or anything. I have
checked the autoplay settings and they all seem to be correct. I can put a
music CD in and go to Media Player and play the CD. but when I go to my
computer and open the drive it doesn't show any files. this is not just for
music cd's, it is dvd's, programs and everything. My drive is the Optiard
AD-7653 (that is how it is listed in the device manager)

Any advice would be helpful

chasinnm

RE: CD and DVD discs not recognized
Chris,

I've had the same problem since changing to Vista. Have a serial AOpen
CD-RW read some but not most of CD's or DVD's. I also did all the
recommended steps to no avail. I even went and purchased a new SATA DVD-RW.
Same results. I took it back and got another with the same results. I'm at
the end of my rope with Vista and am ready to go back to XP. I know it's a
lot of work. But, as MS can't find a solution for this problem for Vista I'm
at the point where I don't care about the extra work. Let MS work out thier
own bugs.

Chuck (cjrhoades_6@msn.com)

"Chris" wrote:

> I have searched the forums through and through, i have removed filters from
> the registry, rebooted, deleted the driver from device manager and let the
> system reinstall.
>
> When I put a disc in my drive, autoplay does not start or anything. I have
> checked the autoplay settings and they all seem to be correct. I can put a
> music CD in and go to Media Player and play the CD. but when I go to my
> computer and open the drive it doesn't show any files. this is not just for
> music cd's, it is dvd's, programs and everything. My drive is the Optiard
> AD-7653 (that is how it is listed in the device manager)
>
> Any advice would be helpful

Colin Barnhorst

Re: CD and DVD discs not recognized
You might consider checking out the fixes in SP1 first. SP1 is only about a
month away. If you want to you can download the release candidate now and
test. If you are considering going back to XP anyway you have nothing to
lose trying it.

"chasinnm" <chasinnm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Chris,
>
> I've had the same problem since changing to Vista. Have a serial AOpen
> CD-RW read some but not most of CD's or DVD's. I also did all the
> recommended steps to no avail. I even went and purchased a new SATA
> DVD-RW.
> Same results. I took it back and got another with the same results. I'm
> at
> the end of my rope with Vista and am ready to go back to XP. I know it's
> lot of work. But, as MS can't find a solution for this problem for Vista
> I'm
> at the point where I don't care about the extra work. Let MS work out
> thier
> own bugs.
>
> Chuck (cjrhoades_6@msn.com)
>
> "Chris" wrote:
>
>> I have searched the forums through and through, i have removed filters
>> from
>> the registry, rebooted, deleted the driver from device manager and let
>> the
>> system reinstall.
>>
>> When I put a disc in my drive, autoplay does not start or anything. I
>> have
>> checked the autoplay settings and they all seem to be correct. I can put
>> music CD in and go to Media Player and play the CD. but when I go to my
>> computer and open the drive it doesn't show any files. this is not just
>> for
>> music cd's, it is dvd's, programs and everything. My drive is the
>> Optiard
>> AD-7653 (that is how it is listed in the device manager)
>>
>> Any advice would be helpful

chasinnm

Re: CD and DVD discs not recognized
Thanks, Colin. I'll give that a try.

Chuck

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> You might consider checking out the fixes in SP1 first. SP1 is only about a
> month away. If you want to you can download the release candidate now and
> test. If you are considering going back to XP anyway you have nothing to
> lose trying it.
>
> "chasinnm" <chasinnm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Chris,
> >
> > I've had the same problem since changing to Vista. Have a serial AOpen
> > CD-RW read some but not most of CD's or DVD's. I also did all the
> > recommended steps to no avail. I even went and purchased a new SATA
> > DVD-RW.
> > Same results. I took it back and got another with the same results. I'm
> > at
> > the end of my rope with Vista and am ready to go back to XP. I know it's
> > lot of work. But, as MS can't find a solution for this problem for Vista
> > I'm
> > at the point where I don't care about the extra work. Let MS work out
> > thier
> > own bugs.
> >
> > Chuck (cjrhoades_6@msn.com)
> >
> > "Chris" wrote:
> >
> >> I have searched the forums through and through, i have removed filters
> >> from
> >> the registry, rebooted, deleted the driver from device manager and let
> >> the
> >> system reinstall.
> >>
> >> When I put a disc in my drive, autoplay does not start or anything. I
> >> have
> >> checked the autoplay settings and they all seem to be correct. I can put
> >> music CD in and go to Media Player and play the CD. but when I go to my
> >> computer and open the drive it doesn't show any files. this is not just
> >> for
> >> music cd's, it is dvd's, programs and everything. My drive is the
> >> Optiard
> >> AD-7653 (that is how it is listed in the device manager)
> >>
> >> Any advice would be helpful

chasinnm

Re: CD and DVD discs not recognized
Hey Colin,

Thank you for the advice. It seems to have done the trick. I've only
attempted it with one of the disks I was having trouble with. But, it worked
on that one. I suspect it will work on others as well. You saved me a lot
of additional work at rebuilding my file system.

Chuck

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> You might consider checking out the fixes in SP1 first. SP1 is only about a
> month away. If you want to you can download the release candidate now and
> test. If you are considering going back to XP anyway you have nothing to
> lose trying it.
>
> "chasinnm" <chasinnm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Chris,
> >
> > I've had the same problem since changing to Vista. Have a serial AOpen
> > CD-RW read some but not most of CD's or DVD's. I also did all the
> > recommended steps to no avail. I even went and purchased a new SATA
> > DVD-RW.
> > Same results. I took it back and got another with the same results. I'm
> > at
> > the end of my rope with Vista and am ready to go back to XP. I know it's
> > lot of work. But, as MS can't find a solution for this problem for Vista
> > I'm
> > at the point where I don't care about the extra work. Let MS work out
> > thier
> > own bugs.
> >
> > Chuck (cjrhoades_6@msn.com)
> >
> > "Chris" wrote:
> >
> >> I have searched the forums through and through, i have removed filters
> >> from
> >> the registry, rebooted, deleted the driver from device manager and let
> >> the
> >> system reinstall.
> >>
> >> When I put a disc in my drive, autoplay does not start or anything. I
> >> have
> >> checked the autoplay settings and they all seem to be correct. I can put
> >> music CD in and go to Media Player and play the CD. but when I go to my
> >> computer and open the drive it doesn't show any files. this is not just
> >> for
> >> music cd's, it is dvd's, programs and everything. My drive is the
> >> Optiard
> >> AD-7653 (that is how it is listed in the device manager)
> >>
> >> Any advice would be helpful

Colin Barnhorst

Re: CD and DVD discs not recognized
Glad to hear you're making progress.

> Hey Colin,
>
> Thank you for the advice. It seems to have done the trick. I've only
> attempted it with one of the disks I was having trouble with. But, it
> worked
> on that one. I suspect it will work on others as well. You saved me a
> lot
> of additional work at rebuilding my file system.
>
> Chuck
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> You might consider checking out the fixes in SP1 first. SP1 is only
>> about a
>> month away. If you want to you can download the release candidate now
>> and
>> test. If you are considering going back to XP anyway you have nothing to
>> lose trying it.
>>
>> "chasinnm" <chasinnm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Chris,
>> >
>> > I've had the same problem since changing to Vista. Have a serial AOpen
>> > CD-RW read some but not most of CD's or DVD's. I also did all the
>> > recommended steps to no avail. I even went and purchased a new SATA
>> > DVD-RW.
>> > Same results. I took it back and got another with the same results.
>> > I'm
>> > at
>> > the end of my rope with Vista and am ready to go back to XP. I know
>> > it's
>> > lot of work. But, as MS can't find a solution for this problem for
>> > Vista
>> > I'm
>> > at the point where I don't care about the extra work. Let MS work out
>> > thier
>> > own bugs.
>> >
>> > Chuck (cjrhoades_6@msn.com)

Robyn

Re: CD and DVD discs not recognized
Right, sp 1 the last one service pack refresh .744 still doesn't help cd or
dvd drives in responding right. What helped me is installing nero trial for
awhile, and finally got to burn cd's and dvd's (my pictures). Then the darn
cd and dvd writer works in reading them. After I installed nero. By the way
one of my burners one is a dvd/cd writer, other was just a cd writer also is
not burnt out and does not read anything anymore or even respond. It was
only a year old. I'm glad I had two. I'm going to have to get another cd
writer. Least that will come with nero as well within the next few weeks.
(nero that works with vista) as I had it before, but it's not supported with
vista.

I submitted this problem with feedback after having sp 1 installed, I hope
the heck they fix there software in vista to help us all with the problems
with windows not responding, freezing, not working at all or dropping our
cd/dvd drives.
--
Robyn