vista64 only using 1 core of my pentium d....? bios counts 2 ?

jay22

vista64 only using 1 core of my pentium d....? bios counts 2 ?

a few weeks ago i noticed a performance drop with vista 64 so i had a
snoop around in task manager checked unwanted services etc only 2 notice
it see's 1 cpu core for my pentium d 2.80 ? ive tried a re-installing
and un-installing the cpu in device manager with only 1 core installed
each time even thoe it knows what cpu model it has installed ? ive
checked the bios which has 2 cores counted, ive even updated my bios
anyway and tried re-installing in device manager again, ive also updated
my chipset drivers no luck there and ive googled away all day 2 find a
solution but all i get is amd vista problems ? ive tried scanning for
hardware changes the lot and i can not find any updates from micrsoft
and asus(mobo) about this ! any help would be much appreciated !
cheers!

asuse p5vdc-mx
2 gig corsair pc2-4200 ddr2 533mhz
pentium d 2.80
ati agp x1550

need anymore info please let me know

--
jay22
John

Re: vista64 only using 1 core of my pentium d....? bios counts 2 ?

"jay22" <jay22.33co4z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> a few weeks ago i noticed a performance drop with vista 64 so i had a
> snoop around in task manager checked unwanted services etc only 2 notice
> it see's 1 cpu core for my pentium d 2.80 ? ive tried a re-installing
> and un-installing the cpu in device manager with only 1 core installed
> each time even thoe it knows what cpu model it has installed ? ive
> checked the bios which has 2 cores counted, ive even updated my bios
> anyway and tried re-installing in device manager again, ive also updated
> my chipset drivers no luck there and ive googled away all day 2 find a
> solution but all i get is amd vista problems ? ive tried scanning for
> hardware changes the lot and i can not find any updates from micrsoft
> and asus(mobo) about this ! any help would be much appreciated !
> cheers!
>
> asuse p5vdc-mx
> 2 gig corsair pc2-4200 ddr2 533mhz
> pentium d 2.80
> ati agp x1550
>
> need anymore info please let me know
>

> --
> jay22

Are you sure that you don't have Task Manager set to show the
combined processing power of both cores?
i.e. One Graph, All CPUs.

jay22

Re: vista64 only using 1 core of my pentium d....? bios counts 2 ?

no im sure, it also shows up as 1 in divice manager and ive used cpuz
which has 1 core showing plus there are no options in task manager to
show both cores in 2 graphs its just not being used by vista ?

--
jay22
Patrick

Re: vista64 only using 1 core of my pentium d....? bios counts 2 ?
is the 820 not a hyperthreading cpu? that's not a real dual core.

"jay22" <jay22.33cyk0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> no im sure, it also shows up as 1 in divice manager and ive used cpuz
> which has 1 core showing plus there are no options in task manager to
> show both cores in 2 graphs its just not being used by vista ?
>

> --
> jay22

jay22

Re: vista64 only using 1 core of my pentium d....? bios counts 2 ?

no its not hyperthreading it dos have to cores and when i had xp it was
installed as 2 cores or 2 processers i tested on cpuz in the past and it
counted 2 cores also but it does not now 4 some reason? ive hard of the
same problem with some amd processer which was fixed with a patch 4
vista 64 but no 1 seems 2 have this problem with any intel chips im sure
its a vista problem my bios counts 2 cores !:sarc:

--
jay22
Colin Barnhorst

Re: vista64 only using 1 core of my pentium d....? bios counts 2 ?
Even if it were only hyperthreading, he should still see two logical
processors on the performance tab. If he had a hyperthreading dual-core he
would see four logical processors. Only if he has a single core cpu w/o
hyperthreading should he see just one logical cpu.