How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?

Dima

How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?
Hello!
How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?
The computer goes to the Hibernation after pushing the power button on the
system case but the power light stays lit for 3 minutes.
Best regards,
Dima

AlexB

Re: How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?
Why do you need it at the start menu?

You go to Control Panel>>System And Maintenance>>Power Options>>System
Settings.

There is an option there Power and sleep settings
"When I press the power button" - do something (comboBox)
"When I press the Sleep button" - comboBox with choices: Nothing, Sleep,
Hibernate.

I do not have the sleep button on this machine. Cannot check how it works. I
may have on one of my office computers.

The start menu options do not seem to have what you want either.

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message
> Hello!
> How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate
> x64? The computer goes to the Hibernation after pushing the power button
> on the system case but the power light stays lit for 3 minutes.
> Best regards,
> Dima

Dima

Re: How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?
Thanks AlexB for directions!
I was told that the Hibernate option should be in the Start menu after the
arrow on the right. I do not have the Hibernate there. My keyboard does not
have a Power and sleep buttons. The "Ask me what to do" is not in the "When
I press the power button" option, as it is in Windows XP. How to get the
"Ask me what to do" for "When I press the power button" option in Windows
Vista?
Why does my power light on the system case stays lit for 3 minutes after
Hibernating?
Best regards,
Dima
"AlexB" <alexb@comcast.net> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
> Why do you need it at the start menu?
>
> You go to Control Panel>>System And Maintenance>>Power Options>>System
> Settings.
>
> There is an option there Power and sleep settings
> "When I press the power button" - do something (comboBox)
> "When I press the Sleep button" - comboBox with choices: Nothing, Sleep,
> Hibernate.
>
> I do not have the sleep button on this machine. Cannot check how it works.
> I may have on one of my office computers.
>
> The start menu options do not seem to have what you want either.
>
> "Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message
>> Hello!
>> How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate
>> x64? The computer goes to the Hibernation after pushing the power button
>> on the system case but the power light stays lit for 3 minutes.
>> Best regards,
>> Dima

brink

Dima;577241 Wrote:
> Thanks AlexB for directions!
> I was told that the Hibernate option should be in the Start menu after
> the
> arrow on the right. I do not have the Hibernate there. My keyboard does
> not
> have a Power and sleep buttons. The "Ask me what to do" is not in the
> "When
> I press the power button" option, as it is in Windows XP. How to get
> the
> "Ask me what to do" for "When I press the power button" option in
> Windows
> Vista?
> Why does my power light on the system case stays lit for 3 minutes
> after
> Hibernating?
> Best regards,
> Dima
> "AlexB" <alexb@xxxxxx> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
> news:ud%23mzsWWIHA.536@xxxxxx> > >
> > > Why do you need it at the start menu?
> > >
> > > You go to Control Panel>>System And Maintenance>>Power

> > Options>>System
> > > Settings.
> > >
> > > There is an option there Power and sleep settings
> > > "When I press the power button" - do something (comboBox)
> > > "When I press the Sleep button" - comboBox with choices: Nothing,

> > Sleep,
> > > Hibernate.
> > >
> > > I do not have the sleep button on this machine. Cannot check how it

> > works.
> > > I may have on one of my office computers.
> > >
> > > The start menu options do not seem to have what you want either.
> > >
> > > "Dima" <kopn@xxxxxx> wrote in message

Hi Dima,

This will show you how to change the function on the Start menu and
Case power button to either Shutdown, Sleep, or Hibernate.

'Power Button'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...er-button.html)

This will show you how to create a Hibernate shortcut that you can
place anywhere you want.

'Hibernate' (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/74022-hibernate.html)

You can also change your Power Plan settings so that the computer will
be set to Hibernate instead of Sleep. See STEP TWO step 6D.

'Powercfg & sleep problems'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html)

Hope this helps you,
Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
cqui3

Re: How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?

> Why does my power light on the system case stays lit for 3 minutes after
> Hibernating?
> Best regards,
> Dima
> "AlexB" <alexb@comcast.net> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:

The computer is saving the memory contents in thehiberfil file.

Three seconds means that you do not have several gigabytes of memory.
It hen can take longer.

Dima

Re: How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?
Thanks cqui3 for replying!
Not three seconds, but minutes. There are 250 gb of free space on disk c:.
At the end of the "Hibernation" the power button stays blinking. My monitor
turns off from the beginning of the Hibernation and does not show the
Hibernation progress, as it does in Windows XP.
Best regard,
Dima
"cqui3" <cqui3@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Why does my power light on the system case stays lit for 3 minutes after
>> Hibernating?
>> Best regards,
>> Dima
>> "AlexB" <alexb@comcast.net> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:

> The computer is saving the memory contents in thehiberfil file.
>
> Three seconds means that you do not have several gigabytes of memory.
> It hen can take longer.

Jay Somerset

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:06:25 +0300, "Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote:

>Thanks cqui3 for replying!
>Not three seconds, but minutes. There are 250 gb of free space on disk c:.
>At the end of the "Hibernation" the power button stays blinking. My monitor
>turns off from the beginning of the Hibernation and does not show the
>Hibernation progress, as it does in Windows XP.

Sounds more like you system is going to SLEEP, rather than
HIBERNATING. Either that, or your motherboard is not accepting the
power-off command that Vista should be issuing as the last part of the
hibernation process. I have one older computer which does not power
down on command with Linux, but does with Win2K. Go figure.

Hibernation takes about 20 seconds on my Vista system, which has 3GB
memory, which mist be written out to the internal SATA hard drive.

--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Jay Somerset

Re: How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:06:25 +0300, "Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote:

>Thanks cqui3 for replying!
>Not three seconds, but minutes. There are 250 gb of free space on disk c:.
>At the end of the "Hibernation" the power button stays blinking. My monitor
>turns off from the beginning of the Hibernation and does not show the
>Hibernation progress, as it does in Windows XP.
>Best regard,
>Dima

Are you sure that hibernation has been fully enabled? Just seeing the
option in the shutdown list is not definitive.

To be sure, do a : Start:Run:POWERCFG -H ON

--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Dima

Re: How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?
Thanks Jay for your help!
The hibernation is not in the shutdown list in the Start menu.
I Started:Run:POWERCFG -H ON and off several times.
Best regards,
Dima
"Jay Somerset" <jay-1941-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:06:25 +0300, "Dima" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote:
>
>>Thanks cqui3 for replying!
>>Not three seconds, but minutes. There are 250 gb of free space on disk c:.
>>At the end of the "Hibernation" the power button stays blinking. My
>>monitor
>>turns off from the beginning of the Hibernation and does not show the
>>Hibernation progress, as it does in Windows XP.
>>Best regard,
>>Dima

> Are you sure that hibernation has been fully enabled? Just seeing the
> option in the shutdown list is not definitive.
>
> To be sure, do a : Start:Run:POWERCFG -H ON
>

>>"cqui3" <cqui3@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> The computer is saving the memory contents in thehiberfil file.
>>>
>>> Three seconds means that you do not have several gigabytes of memory.
>>> It hen can take longer.

> --
> Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

cqui3

Re: How to add "Hibernation" to the Start menu in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64?
It is on mine, but only after installing the Service pack
Release Candidate. Which is still not final.