Sound Problems

sdz

Sound Problems
Okay, I'm very illiterate when it comes to computers. I got a Gateway laptop
with Windows Vista included. The first time I started playing with it, games
and such, I had sound but I stupidly put in the CD that came with the
computer that apparently is only for reinstalling. Now I have no sound. I
went to the Gateway download site and downloaded a driver that said it was
compatible to my computer but it doesn't work. The little speaker at the
bottom right shows a red X but my control panel area shows that it is working
properly. Any suggestions?
--
sdz
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sound Problems
Right click on the speaker (bottom right) and open the mixer. If there is
still a red x on the speaker at the bottom of the Volume level, click it and
set it to not mute.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"sdz" <sdziadek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I'm very illiterate when it comes to computers. I got a Gateway
> laptop
> with Windows Vista included. The first time I started playing with it,
> games
> and such, I had sound but I stupidly put in the CD that came with the
> computer that apparently is only for reinstalling. Now I have no sound. I
> went to the Gateway download site and downloaded a driver that said it was
> compatible to my computer but it doesn't work. The little speaker at the
> bottom right shows a red X but my control panel area shows that it is
> working
> properly. Any suggestions?
> --
> sdz

sdz

Re: Sound Problems
I tried that but there is no place to adjust Volume or take it off mute. It
just tells me there is no Audio Device installed.
--
sdz

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Right click on the speaker (bottom right) and open the mixer. If there is
> still a red x on the speaker at the bottom of the Volume level, click it and
> set it to not mute.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "sdz" <sdziadek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Okay, I'm very illiterate when it comes to computers. I got a Gateway
> > laptop
> > with Windows Vista included. The first time I started playing with it,
> > games
> > and such, I had sound but I stupidly put in the CD that came with the
> > computer that apparently is only for reinstalling. Now I have no sound. I
> > went to the Gateway download site and downloaded a driver that said it was
> > compatible to my computer but it doesn't work. The little speaker at the
> > bottom right shows a red X but my control panel area shows that it is
> > working
> > properly. Any suggestions?
> > --
> > sdz

mq9demo

Re: Sound Problems

I have the same problem - my computer is also Gateway but it is a
desktop. My sound card is some Sigmatel HD Audio but I don't have any
sound at all - "No Output Device is installed." and a red cross x. I
already tried to fix it for several weeks. I started with downloading
any drivers that would help - chipset drivers, motherboard drivers,
SigmaTel drivers. It didn't help a bit. I tried to fix it through
Device Manager - there is no sound card there (there is only this
"Unidentified device" with a yellow triangle with an exclamation
sign).
The problem is that the computer doesn't recognize the sound card at
all! I tried to find a solution on numerous forums and no one seems to
have any solutions.

--
mq9demo
mq9demo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=40037

http://forums.techarena.in

sdz

Re: Sound Problems
Okay I found a forum that knew how to fix the problem. I did this and now I
have sound. Go to control panel and find add/remove programs. Uninstall the
software that runs your sound device. Then, if you are running windows Vista,
go to the gateway recovery center. Find the recovery for drivers, and find
the sound driver recovery option. It should re-install it correctly.
--
sdz