npkcrypt and other problems

Jason Custer

npkcrypt and other problems
I'm having a few problems, and if someone could help me with them, since I've
dedicated ENTIRELY too much time to fixing them, with absolutely no positive
results.

#1.) I don't know if it's important, but "npkcrypt" is apparently either
missing or damaged, according to Device Manager..... I imagine there's no
file that's missing that can be GOOD, but I figured I'd ask if there's a way
to fix that, or it could be relevant to problem number 2.....

#2.) Lately when I shut my computer down, 50% of the time if not more often
it takes forever to shut down, doesn't shut down, or will but claims that
"windows has suffered from an unexpected shutdown"..... even though it shut
down because I TOLD IT TO. When it comes back on it says I suffered a
BlueScreen, which I've only actually SEEN happen one or two times, but it
claims it happens almost every time those other problems occur.

#3.) Another thing I would like some aid with, if possible.... there are
programs I want to prevent from running when I start my computr, but when I
go in to stop them, it won't let me, stating that the scan on them leaves
them "unidentified," so I can't make them NOT start along with my PC. Only
Microsoft programs are capable of being stopped.... any way around that?

#4.) I think the problems with #2 may be related to some downloading done on
my part recently, but I have McAffee AND all my windows stuff on maximum
security.... not a peep from ANY of them.

#5.) When the start-up/shut-down issues started happening a few days ago it
also said my CD-ROM driver was messed up, and I thought that was the ACTUAL
problem, but when I fixed that, it still didn't stop the Bluescreen issues
from occurring. I don't know what to do to fix ANY of this, but if someone
does, or could AT LEAST explain what the hell it all means, that would be
GREAT.

Thanks,

Jason
Colin Barnhorst

Re: npkcrypt and other problems
Your issues sound severe enough to consider doing an in-place upgrade
(Vista's equivalent to XP's repair install). An in-place upgrade is done
simply. With Vista running insert the Vista dvd in your optical drive (make
sure it is in the boot order ahead of your hard drive in the BIOS). At the
splash screen click on Install Now. Proceed through the screens until you
reach the one that presents you with Upgrade Install and Custom Install
options and click on Upgrade. Your files, settings, and apps will not be
disturbed but you will need to let Windows Update update the system again.
There will 40 or so updates.

"Jason Custer" <JasonCuster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a few problems, and if someone could help me with them, since
> I've
> dedicated ENTIRELY too much time to fixing them, with absolutely no
> positive
> results.
>
> #1.) I don't know if it's important, but "npkcrypt" is apparently either
> missing or damaged, according to Device Manager..... I imagine there's no
> file that's missing that can be GOOD, but I figured I'd ask if there's a
> way
> to fix that, or it could be relevant to problem number 2.....
>
> #2.) Lately when I shut my computer down, 50% of the time if not more
> often
> it takes forever to shut down, doesn't shut down, or will but claims that
> "windows has suffered from an unexpected shutdown"..... even though it
> shut
> down because I TOLD IT TO. When it comes back on it says I suffered a
> BlueScreen, which I've only actually SEEN happen one or two times, but it
> claims it happens almost every time those other problems occur.
>
> #3.) Another thing I would like some aid with, if possible.... there are
> programs I want to prevent from running when I start my computr, but when
> go in to stop them, it won't let me, stating that the scan on them leaves
> them "unidentified," so I can't make them NOT start along with my PC. Only
> Microsoft programs are capable of being stopped.... any way around that?
>
> #4.) I think the problems with #2 may be related to some downloading done
> on
> my part recently, but I have McAffee AND all my windows stuff on maximum
> security.... not a peep from ANY of them.
>
> #5.) When the start-up/shut-down issues started happening a few days ago
> it
> also said my CD-ROM driver was messed up, and I thought that was the
> ACTUAL
> problem, but when I fixed that, it still didn't stop the Bluescreen issues
> from occurring. I don't know what to do to fix ANY of this, but if someone
> does, or could AT LEAST explain what the hell it all means, that would be
> GREAT.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Carlos

RE: npkcrypt and other problems
Jason,
Partial answers to your questions
#1) That is a file used by Lineage II. Consider reinstalling it.
#3) Use msconfig. Fire it up pressing the Windows key together with the "R"
key.
Type msconfig and then press the ENTER key.
Go to the "startup" tab and uncheck those applications you don't want to run
on startup.
Reboot and you are done.
Carlos

"Jason Custer" wrote:

> I'm having a few problems, and if someone could help me with them, since I've
> dedicated ENTIRELY too much time to fixing them, with absolutely no positive
> results.
>
> #1.) I don't know if it's important, but "npkcrypt" is apparently either
> missing or damaged, according to Device Manager..... I imagine there's no
> file that's missing that can be GOOD, but I figured I'd ask if there's a way
> to fix that, or it could be relevant to problem number 2.....
>
> #2.) Lately when I shut my computer down, 50% of the time if not more often
> it takes forever to shut down, doesn't shut down, or will but claims that
> "windows has suffered from an unexpected shutdown"..... even though it shut
> down because I TOLD IT TO. When it comes back on it says I suffered a
> BlueScreen, which I've only actually SEEN happen one or two times, but it
> claims it happens almost every time those other problems occur.
>
> #3.) Another thing I would like some aid with, if possible.... there are
> programs I want to prevent from running when I start my computr, but when I
> go in to stop them, it won't let me, stating that the scan on them leaves
> them "unidentified," so I can't make them NOT start along with my PC. Only
> Microsoft programs are capable of being stopped.... any way around that?
>
> #4.) I think the problems with #2 may be related to some downloading done on
> my part recently, but I have McAffee AND all my windows stuff on maximum
> security.... not a peep from ANY of them.
>
> #5.) When the start-up/shut-down issues started happening a few days ago it
> also said my CD-ROM driver was messed up, and I thought that was the ACTUAL
> problem, but when I fixed that, it still didn't stop the Bluescreen issues
> from occurring. I don't know what to do to fix ANY of this, but if someone
> does, or could AT LEAST explain what the hell it all means, that would be
> GREAT.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Jason Custer

RE: npkcrypt and other problems
I have no clue what Lineage II is or does. Could you shed some light on that
for me? Is it vital to Windows, or something I could just erase and just as
well off without?

"Carlos" wrote:

> Jason,
> Partial answers to your questions
> #1) That is a file used by Lineage II. Consider reinstalling it.
> #3) Use msconfig. Fire it up pressing the Windows key together with the "R"
> key.
> Type msconfig and then press the ENTER key.
> Go to the "startup" tab and uncheck those applications you don't want to run
> on startup.
> Reboot and you are done.
> Carlos
>
> "Jason Custer" wrote:
>
> > I'm having a few problems, and if someone could help me with them, since I've
> > dedicated ENTIRELY too much time to fixing them, with absolutely no positive
> > results.
> >
> > #1.) I don't know if it's important, but "npkcrypt" is apparently either
> > missing or damaged, according to Device Manager..... I imagine there's no
> > file that's missing that can be GOOD, but I figured I'd ask if there's a way
> > to fix that, or it could be relevant to problem number 2.....
> >
> > #2.) Lately when I shut my computer down, 50% of the time if not more often
> > it takes forever to shut down, doesn't shut down, or will but claims that
> > "windows has suffered from an unexpected shutdown"..... even though it shut
> > down because I TOLD IT TO. When it comes back on it says I suffered a
> > BlueScreen, which I've only actually SEEN happen one or two times, but it
> > claims it happens almost every time those other problems occur.
> >
> > #3.) Another thing I would like some aid with, if possible.... there are
> > programs I want to prevent from running when I start my computr, but when I
> > go in to stop them, it won't let me, stating that the scan on them leaves
> > them "unidentified," so I can't make them NOT start along with my PC. Only
> > Microsoft programs are capable of being stopped.... any way around that?
> >
> > #4.) I think the problems with #2 may be related to some downloading done on
> > my part recently, but I have McAffee AND all my windows stuff on maximum
> > security.... not a peep from ANY of them.
> >
> > #5.) When the start-up/shut-down issues started happening a few days ago it
> > also said my CD-ROM driver was messed up, and I thought that was the ACTUAL
> > problem, but when I fixed that, it still didn't stop the Bluescreen issues
> > from occurring. I don't know what to do to fix ANY of this, but if someone
> > does, or could AT LEAST explain what the hell it all means, that would be
> > GREAT.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason

Jason Custer

Re: npkcrypt and other problems
I've moved a lot in the last year (since purchasing my computer), and I was
wondering if there was a way to do that without using that disk... since I'm
quite positive that somewhere between my apartment in Florida and my dorm
here in Connecticut that I lost the DVD. Would doing a System Restore help
any? I know I did a few updates recently, and upon thinking further about
this whole thing I realized that the problems started JUST after the updates.
Actually, it was during the shutdown process after the updates installed. I
looked at my computer hours later and it was still on, though I told it to
shut down, which concerned me. Then it started giving me the Bluescreen
warnings and such. Perhaps there was an issue with the updates? I'm pretty
sure I could System Restore to before then, since it was under a week ago....
would that work and/or have the same effect do you think?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> [...]
> > them "unidentified," so I can't make them NOT start along with my PC. Only
> > Microsoft programs are capable of being stopped.... any way around that?
> >
> > #4.) I think the problems with #2 may be related to some downloading done
> > on
> > my part recently, but I have McAffee AND all my windows stuff on maximum
> > security.... not a peep from ANY of them.
> >
> > #5.) When the start-up/shut-down issues started happening a few days ago
> > it
> > also said my CD-ROM driver was messed up, and I thought that was the
> > ACTUAL
> > problem, but when I fixed that, it still didn't stop the Bluescreen issues
> > from occurring. I don't know what to do to fix ANY of this, but if someone
> > does, or could AT LEAST explain what the hell it all means, that would be

System restore is worth a shot. Uninstalling the updates to see if that has
caused the problem is another. You should try to replace your dvd. Do you
still have your product key?

> [...]
>> > that?
>> >
>> > #4.) I think the problems with #2 may be related to some downloading
>> > done
>> > on
>> > my part recently, but I have McAffee AND all my windows stuff on
>> > maximum
>> > security.... not a peep from ANY of them.
>> >
>> > #5.) When the start-up/shut-down issues started happening a few days
>> > ago
>> > it
>> > also said my CD-ROM driver was messed up, and I thought that was the
>> > ACTUAL
>> > problem, but when I fixed that, it still didn't stop the Bluescreen
>> > issues
>> > from occurring. I don't know what to do to fix ANY of this, but if
>> > someone
>> > does, or could AT LEAST explain what the hell it all means, that would

Jason Custer

Re: npkcrypt and other problems
Fantastic question..... uh..... where would I find that and what exactly is it?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> System restore is worth a shot. Uninstalling the updates to see if that has
> caused the problem is another. You should try to replace your dvd. Do you
> still have your product key?
>
> "Jason Custer" <JasonCuster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've moved a lot in the last year (since purchasing my computer), and I
> > was
> > wondering if there was a way to do that without using that disk... since
> > I'm
> > quite positive that somewhere between my apartment in Florida and my dorm
> > here in Connecticut that I lost the DVD. Would doing a System Restore help
> > any? I know I did a few updates recently, and upon thinking further about
> > this whole thing I realized that the problems started JUST after the
> > updates.
> > Actually, it was during the shutdown process after the updates installed.
> > looked at my computer hours later and it was still on, though I told it to
> > shut down, which concerned me. Then it started giving me the Bluescreen
> > warnings and such. Perhaps there was an issue with the updates? I'm pretty
> > sure I could System Restore to before then, since it was under a week
> > ago....
> > would that work and/or have the same effect do you think?
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> Your issues sound severe enough to consider doing an in-place upgrade
> >> (Vista's equivalent to XP's repair install). An in-place upgrade is done
> >> simply. With Vista running insert the Vista dvd in your optical drive
> >> (make
> >> sure it is in the boot order ahead of your hard drive in the BIOS). At
> >> the
> >> splash screen click on Install Now. Proceed through the screens until
> >> you
> >> reach the one that presents you with Upgrade Install and Custom Install
> >> options and click on Upgrade. Your files, settings, and apps will not be
> >> disturbed but you will need to let Windows Update update the system
> >> again.
> >> There will 40 or so updates.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: npkcrypt and other problems
Did Vista come pre-installed on your computer? Was the dvd you had a
Microsoft Vista dvd or a restore disk? You can retrieve the product key
with a free program you can download from Magical Jelly Bean Software at
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml. Don't just save it to a
notepad file on your computer; WRITE IT DOWN ON PAPER. (You'd be amazed at
how many people don't)

> Fantastic question..... uh..... where would I find that and what exactly
> is it?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> System restore is worth a shot. Uninstalling the updates to see if that
>> has
>> caused the problem is another. You should try to replace your dvd. Do
>> you
>> still have your product key?
>>
>> "Jason Custer" <JasonCuster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've moved a lot in the last year (since purchasing my computer), and I
>> > was
>> > wondering if there was a way to do that without using that disk...
>> > since
>> > I'm
>> > quite positive that somewhere between my apartment in Florida and my
>> > dorm
>> > here in Connecticut that I lost the DVD. Would doing a System Restore
>> > help
>> > any? I know I did a few updates recently, and upon thinking further
>> > about
>> > this whole thing I realized that the problems started JUST after the
>> > updates.
>> > Actually, it was during the shutdown process after the updates
>> > installed.
>> > looked at my computer hours later and it was still on, though I told it
>> > shut down, which concerned me. Then it started giving me the Bluescreen
>> > warnings and such. Perhaps there was an issue with the updates? I'm
>> > pretty
>> > sure I could System Restore to before then, since it was under a week
>> > ago....
>> > would that work and/or have the same effect do you think?

Jason Custer

Re: npkcrypt and other problems
Vista came preinstalled, and I'm pretty sure that the DVD that came with my
laptop was an update disk, or said it was, so I think I ditched it, on
account of the update features built in to Windows and my determination not
to spend more money on my computer than absolutely necessary, especially
after plunking down $700 on it.

I take it that with my product key I could contact microsoft and get a new
disk that provides the features/functions you mentioned previously? I'll
retrieve it with the program, I just have no clue what to do with it.

Oh, and thanks for all the help here..... my luck on here is usually minimal
in terms of help, so the amount of help you've given me has been great and
restored my faith in bringing problems to this forum.... it's typically my
absolute last resort.

"Jason Custer" wrote:

> [...]
> > > them "unidentified," so I can't make them NOT start along with my PC. Only
> > > Microsoft programs are capable of being stopped.... any way around that?
> > >
> > > #4.) I think the problems with #2 may be related to some downloading done
> > > on
> > > my part recently, but I have McAffee AND all my windows stuff on maximum
> > > security.... not a peep from ANY of them.
> > >
> > > #5.) When the start-up/shut-down issues started happening a few days ago
> > > it
> > > also said my CD-ROM driver was messed up, and I thought that was the
> > > ACTUAL
> > > problem, but when I fixed that, it still didn't stop the Bluescreen issues
> > > from occurring. I don't know what to do to fix ANY of this, but if someone
> > > does, or could AT LEAST explain what the hell it all means, that would be

No, they would redirect you to the manufacturer of the computer. You can
contact the computer manufacturer for a replacement, but MS won't provide
one.