laptop keyboard types incorrect character

pd

laptop keyboard types incorrect character
On my laptop with Windows Vista, certain keys on the keyboard have begun to
cause the display of an incorrect character on the screen and in the
document. u displays the character 4, i displays the character 5, o displays
the character 6, p displays the character *, j displays the character 1, k
displays the character 2, l displays the character 3, mdisplays the character
0.

What is the troubleshooting procedure.

Carlos

RE: laptop keyboard types incorrect character
pd,
Laptops have a hot-key combination that allows you to use part of its
alphabetical keyboard as a numerical pad.
If you don't remember which is that combination please read the laptop user
manual and press it again.
That way you will restore those keys to the "alpha" mode.
I don't have my laptop at hand right now but I think it is the combination
of pressing simultaneously the "Fn" key and "Num lock".

Carlos

"pd" wrote:

> On my laptop with Windows Vista, certain keys on the keyboard have begun to
> cause the display of an incorrect character on the screen and in the
> document. u displays the character 4, i displays the character 5, o displays
> the character 6, p displays the character *, j displays the character 1, k
> displays the character 2, l displays the character 3, mdisplays the character
> 0.
>
> What is the troubleshooting procedure.

David B.

Re: laptop keyboard types incorrect character
Turn off numlock

--

----

"pd" <pd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On my laptop with Windows Vista, certain keys on the keyboard have begun
> cause the display of an incorrect character on the screen and in the
> document. u displays the character 4, i displays the character 5, o
> displays
> the character 6, p displays the character *, j displays the character 1, k
> displays the character 2, l displays the character 3, mdisplays the
> character
> 0.
>
> What is the troubleshooting procedure.

Ningboweather

Re: laptop keyboard types incorrect character

To David B.

The silliest problems are usually the ones we wasted hours to find out
Yes I had my keyboard all messed up but never thought of such a stupid
mistake I did which consisted of brushing the NUM Lock key while doing a
print screen.
I spent times scanning my laptop with anti-spywares, checking my
language bar, rebooting after cleaning, etc...
until I copied/pasted painfully in Google one by one some letters to
search for "vista keyboard display wrong characters"...
But the first line displayed this thread with your post ! which
solution WORKED !

So even almost 2 years later, this thread is still very useful as I
guess I am not the only one.
So the minimum I could do was to register and say *THANK YOU !!!* :-)

Jamy

--
Ningboweather
Ningboweather's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/164529.htm