Video Card question

=?Utf-8?B?TGVlIENvbGxpc29u?=

Video Card question
Here is what I want to do. I have a perfectly good computer that has a lot
of data on it, but the problem is I have a 200 Watt power supply. I can not
upgrade the power supply per the hardware vendor, so what I am wondering is
the following:

Is there a 256 MB AGP (or PCI) video that will work with a 200 Watt power
supply that will allow me to use AERO features or Vista? My computer does
not have a PCI Express slot.

Thanks
Conor

Re: Video Card question
In article <E11399E9-9B74-4921-9FA4-8B1369C9BB00@microsoft.com>, Lee
Collison says...
> Here is what I want to do. I have a perfectly good computer that has a lot
> of data on it, but the problem is I have a 200 Watt power supply. I can not
> upgrade the power supply per the hardware vendor, so what I am wondering is
> the following:
>
> Is there a 256 MB AGP (or PCI) video that will work with a 200 Watt power
> supply that will allow me to use AERO features or Vista? My computer does
> not have a PCI Express slot.

Firstly, what is the case? If it's a Shuttle then the 200W PSU in it is
extremely efficient and will beat many 400W standard ATX ones.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
=?Utf-8?B?TGVlIENvbGxpc29u?=

Re: Video Card question
I have a Dell OptiPlex 160L
JW

Re: Video Card question
Aero only requies 128MB of graphics memor and 512MB of main memory.
There are a log of NVIDIA 7600 chip cards that don't require fans since they
draw little power due to the small die size used for the chip
Just Google for
"
7600GS fanless AGP
"
and you will get lots of hits

"Lee Collison" <LeeCollison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is what I want to do. I have a perfectly good computer that has a
> lot
> of data on it, but the problem is I have a 200 Watt power supply. I can
> not
> upgrade the power supply per the hardware vendor, so what I am wondering
> is
> the following:
>
> Is there a 256 MB AGP (or PCI) video that will work with a 200 Watt power
> supply that will allow me to use AERO features or Vista? My computer does
> not have a PCI Express slot.
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?TGVlIENvbGxpc29u?=

Re: Video Card question
Great stuff. Thanks for the quick responses guys.
Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: Video Card question
Lee

Dell may not want to help you, but others may.. there are power supply
manufacturers who will tell you if you need a special power supply for your
board.. the picture of the tower layout in the Dell manual online looks to
be a standard ATX case fitting (where it fits and screws to the case).. at
the cable end, if it is the Dell special, adapter cables can be purchased
that will convert the standard ATX power outlet to Dell motherboard power
connector.. two links for you..

This one for the power supply info.. you may have to call them..

http://www.pcpower.com/products/powe...ector/dell.htm

And this one for the adapter cable that will convert any ATX power supply to
Dell spec..

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...=dellconverter

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?TGVlIENvbGxpc29u?=

Re: Video Card question
This is great as well. I know networking really good, but hardware is an
area that I do not concentrate on and there are a lot of hardware experts out
that, I see that now. Thanks guys.