Bluetooth Works!

Harry Krause

Bluetooth Works!
With some trepidation, I installed the software I use to control my cell
phone. I don't have a computer cable for it, but I do have a little USB
Bluetooth device I used on my previous XP setup.

Dang if Vista didn't find that Bluetooth device and install it properly
the first time out. I was able to get my cell phone and the software to
recognize each other.

So far, I've had only very minor annoyances with VISTA. I am upset that
the maker of my scanner (EPSON) is apparently NOT going to offer a
driver upgrade for its 1650 "Perfection" series, but that's not VISTA's
fault.

To date, VISTA has been a far smaller pain in the ass than all the other
MS WINDOWS operating systems I have installed, and I go back to the
first ones in BETA, when MS would ship me about 24 diskettes to install
an upgrade that would bomb out, usually, on the 19th diskette.

I have the Oxford English Dictionary on CD, version 3.1. It doesn't work
with VISTA, but its publisher is sending me an updated set of CDs that will.

So far, I like VISTA. Works smoothly for me.
mikeyhsd

Re: Bluetooth Works!
what dongle do you use that is recognized out of the box.
so many others have ones that are not.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

mikeyhsd wrote:
> what dongle do you use that is recognized out of the box.
> so many others have ones that are not.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com <mailto:mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com>
>
> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com <mailto:mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com>
>
> "Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com
> <mailto:harry.krause@gmail.com>> wrote in message
> With some trepidation, I installed the software I use to control my
> cell
> phone. I don't have a computer cable for it, but I do have a little USB
> Bluetooth device I used on my previous XP setup.
>
> Dang if Vista didn't find that Bluetooth device and install it properly
> the first time out. I was able to get my cell phone and the software to
> recognize each other.
>
> So far, I've had only very minor annoyances with VISTA. I am upset that
> the maker of my scanner (EPSON) is apparently NOT going to offer a
> driver upgrade for its 1650 "Perfection" series, but that's not VISTA's
> fault.
>
> To date, VISTA has been a far smaller pain in the ass than all the
> other
> MS WINDOWS operating systems I have installed, and I go back to the
> first ones in BETA, when MS would ship me about 24 diskettes to install
> an upgrade that would bomb out, usually, on the 19th diskette.
>
> I have the Oxford English Dictionary on CD, version 3.1. It doesn't
> work
> with VISTA, but its publisher is sending me an updated set of CDs
> that will.
>
> So far, I like VISTA. Works smoothly for me.

It's a D-Link DBT-120. Had it for about a year or so. Cheap.
mikeyhsd

Re: Bluetooth Works!
thanx.

"Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ezdlFJoXHHA.984@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
mikeyhsd wrote:
> what dongle do you use that is recognized out of the box.
> so many others have ones that are not.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com <mailto:mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com>
>
> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com <mailto:mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com>
>
> "Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com
> <mailto:harry.krause@gmail.com>> wrote in message
> With some trepidation, I installed the software I use to control my
> cell
> phone. I don't have a computer cable for it, but I do have a little USB
> Bluetooth device I used on my previous XP setup.
>
> Dang if Vista didn't find that Bluetooth device and install it properly
> the first time out. I was able to get my cell phone and the software to
> recognize each other.
>
> So far, I've had only very minor annoyances with VISTA. I am upset that
> the maker of my scanner (EPSON) is apparently NOT going to offer a
> driver upgrade for its 1650 "Perfection" series, but that's not VISTA's
> fault.
>
> To date, VISTA has been a far smaller pain in the ass than all the
> other
> MS WINDOWS operating systems I have installed, and I go back to the
> first ones in BETA, when MS would ship me about 24 diskettes to install
> an upgrade that would bomb out, usually, on the 19th diskette.
>
> I have the Oxford English Dictionary on CD, version 3.1. It doesn't
> work
> with VISTA, but its publisher is sending me an updated set of CDs
> that will.
>
> So far, I like VISTA. Works smoothly for me.

It's a D-Link DBT-120. Had it for about a year or so. Cheap.
CrimLiar

Re: Bluetooth Works!
"Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
> With some trepidation, I installed the software I use to control my cell
> phone. I don't have a computer cable for it, but I do have a little USB
> Bluetooth device I used on my previous XP setup.
>
> Dang if Vista didn't find that Bluetooth device and install it properly
> the first time out. I was able to get my cell phone and the software to
> recognize each other.

Just a quick note... If anyone has a Bluetooth dongle based on the Widcomm
(Broadcom) chip, they have taken pit on all us Vista users (even X64) and
released a working driver for us all! You can find it at
http://www.broadcom.com/products/bluetooth_update.php

Crimliar

mikeyhsd

Re: Bluetooth Works!
thanx for the heads up.

"CrimLiar" <dont@waste.your.time.trying> wrote in message news:%23T3LvnqXHHA.3848@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
"Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
> With some trepidation, I installed the software I use to control my cell
> phone. I don't have a computer cable for it, but I do have a little USB
> Bluetooth device I used on my previous XP setup.
>
> Dang if Vista didn't find that Bluetooth device and install it properly
> the first time out. I was able to get my cell phone and the software to
> recognize each other.

Just a quick note... If anyone has a Bluetooth dongle based on the Widcomm
(Broadcom) chip, they have taken pit on all us Vista users (even X64) and
released a working driver for us all! You can find it at
http://www.broadcom.com/products/bluetooth_update.php

Crimliar

Peter

Re: Bluetooth Works!
I was just told by Motorola whose PC850 dongle I'm having problems with (in
Vista only) that the dongle will never be compatible and a new one is being
issued in Q2.
So would there be any sense in my trying this Widcomm driver?

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

"CrimLiar" <dont@waste.your.time.trying> wrote in message
> "Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> With some trepidation, I installed the software I use to control my cell
>> phone. I don't have a computer cable for it, but I do have a little USB
>> Bluetooth device I used on my previous XP setup.
>>
>> Dang if Vista didn't find that Bluetooth device and install it properly
>> the first time out. I was able to get my cell phone and the software to
>> recognize each other.

> Just a quick note... If anyone has a Bluetooth dongle based on the
> Widcomm (Broadcom) chip, they have taken pit on all us Vista users (even
> X64) and released a working driver for us all! You can find it at
> http://www.broadcom.com/products/bluetooth_update.php
>
> Crimliar

Peter

Re: Bluetooth Works!
Forget it...the driver wont install on this device.