USB Flash Drive Message

Ed.

USB Flash Drive Message
I am using Vista Home Premium and copying some files to a USB 2.0 Flash
Drive. I get this message "are you sure you want to copy this folder without
its properties". Then it says to continue skip or cancel.

What does this mean ?

If I click continue, is it OK ? Will I be losing anything ?

If I connect my USB External Hard Drive I have in an Enclosure, the files
copy just fine without this message.

I do notice that the Flash Drive came formatted as FAT32. Does this make any
difference? I don't want to format it to NTFS unless I know it can done
without any problems.

Thanks,
Ed.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: USB Flash Drive Message
Flash drives use FAT32 by design. NTFS has a lot of overhead on these
devices and so is not used.

You will not lose any file content when you copy to your flash drive. The
file manager handles everything for you. Your usb external hard drive is
most likely formatted NTFS and that is why there are no messages. This all
has absolutely nothing to do with usb. It is all in the file systems being
used.

The only issue folks run into with the flash drives is when they try to copy
a file larger than 4GB. FAT32 cannot handle files larger than that.
However, you will soon be able to buy flash drives formatted with exFAT
(extended FAT). ExFAT can handle files up to 32GB. Vista's file manager
can handle copying between exFAT and NTFS just fine.

"Ed." <Ed@nothing.net> wrote in message
>I am using Vista Home Premium and copying some files to a USB 2.0 Flash
>Drive. I get this message "are you sure you want to copy this folder
>without its properties". Then it says to continue skip or cancel.
>
> What does this mean ?
>
> If I click continue, is it OK ? Will I be losing anything ?
>
> If I connect my USB External Hard Drive I have in an Enclosure, the files
> copy just fine without this message.
>
> I do notice that the Flash Drive came formatted as FAT32. Does this make
> any difference? I don't want to format it to NTFS unless I know it can
> done without any problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed.

Ed.

Re: USB Flash Drive Message
OK, thank you for the reply and I appreciate that. So are saying the message
due to the FAT32 ? Also that I should not try to format to NTFS ?
Yes you are correct that my External Drive is formatted NTFS.

Thanks Again,
Ed.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Flash drives use FAT32 by design. NTFS has a lot of overhead on these
> devices and so is not used.
>
> You will not lose any file content when you copy to your flash drive. The
> file manager handles everything for you. Your usb external hard drive is
> most likely formatted NTFS and that is why there are no messages. This
> all has absolutely nothing to do with usb. It is all in the file systems
> being used.
>
> The only issue folks run into with the flash drives is when they try to
> copy a file larger than 4GB. FAT32 cannot handle files larger than that.
> However, you will soon be able to buy flash drives formatted with exFAT
> (extended FAT). ExFAT can handle files up to 32GB. Vista's file manager
> can handle copying between exFAT and NTFS just fine.
>
> "Ed." <Ed@nothing.net> wrote in message
>>I am using Vista Home Premium and copying some files to a USB 2.0 Flash
>>Drive. I get this message "are you sure you want to copy this folder
>>without its properties". Then it says to continue skip or cancel.
>>
>> What does this mean ?
>>
>> If I click continue, is it OK ? Will I be losing anything ?
>>
>> If I connect my USB External Hard Drive I have in an Enclosure, the files
>> copy just fine without this message.
>>
>> I do notice that the Flash Drive came formatted as FAT32. Does this make
>> any difference? I don't want to format it to NTFS unless I know it can
>> done without any problems.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: USB Flash Drive Message
I would not format a flash drive NTFS. In any case, the properties being
stripped off don't relate to the content of the file so don't be concerned.
The properties relate to NTFS file system properties (security stuff, etc.).

> OK, thank you for the reply and I appreciate that. So are saying the
> message due to the FAT32 ? Also that I should not try to format to NTFS ?
> Yes you are correct that my External Drive is formatted NTFS.
>
> Thanks Again,
> Ed.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Flash drives use FAT32 by design. NTFS has a lot of overhead on these
>> devices and so is not used.
>>
>> You will not lose any file content when you copy to your flash drive.
>> The file manager handles everything for you. Your usb external hard
>> drive is most likely formatted NTFS and that is why there are no
>> messages. This all has absolutely nothing to do with usb. It is all in
>> the file systems being used.
>>
>> The only issue folks run into with the flash drives is when they try to
>> copy a file larger than 4GB. FAT32 cannot handle files larger than that.
>> However, you will soon be able to buy flash drives formatted with exFAT
>> (extended FAT). ExFAT can handle files up to 32GB. Vista's file manager
>> can handle copying between exFAT and NTFS just fine.
>>
>> "Ed." <Ed@nothing.net> wrote in message
>>>I am using Vista Home Premium and copying some files to a USB 2.0 Flash
>>>Drive. I get this message "are you sure you want to copy this folder
>>>without its properties". Then it says to continue skip or cancel.
>>>
>>> What does this mean ?
>>>
>>> If I click continue, is it OK ? Will I be losing anything ?
>>>
>>> If I connect my USB External Hard Drive I have in an Enclosure, the
>>> files copy just fine without this message.
>>>
>>> I do notice that the Flash Drive came formatted as FAT32. Does this make
>>> any difference? I don't want to format it to NTFS unless I know it can
>>> done without any problems.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ed.

Ed.

Re: USB Flash Drive Message
Thank You again. Now I understand and won't be concerned about it. My
concern was that if I continued copying with that message that I would lose
something and I didn't want that to happen. One bunch of folders contained
1700 pictures from years past and are too valuable to lose and didn't want
to mess them up.

Your explanation clears it up and now I feel better about it and won't worry
about it.

Thank again,

>I would not format a flash drive NTFS. In any case, the properties being
>stripped off don't relate to the content of the file so don't be concerned.
>The properties relate to NTFS file system properties (security stuff,
>etc.).
>
> "Ed." <Ed@nothing.net> wrote in message
>> OK, thank you for the reply and I appreciate that. So are saying the
>> message due to the FAT32 ? Also that I should not try to format to NTFS
>> ?
>> Yes you are correct that my External Drive is formatted NTFS.
>>
>> Thanks Again,
>> Ed.
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Flash drives use FAT32 by design. NTFS has a lot of overhead on these
>>> devices and so is not used.
>>>
>>> You will not lose any file content when you copy to your flash drive.
>>> The file manager handles everything for you. Your usb external hard
>>> drive is most likely formatted NTFS and that is why there are no
>>> messages. This all has absolutely nothing to do with usb. It is all in
>>> the file systems being used.
>>>
>>> The only issue folks run into with the flash drives is when they try to
>>> copy a file larger than 4GB. FAT32 cannot handle files larger than
>>> that. However, you will soon be able to buy flash drives formatted with
>>> exFAT (extended FAT). ExFAT can handle files up to 32GB. Vista's file
>>> manager can handle copying between exFAT and NTFS just fine.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: USB Flash Drive Message
You're welcome.