memory problems?

LouLou

memory problems?
My 10 month old computer is showing 98% full on "C" drive (64.4 GB installed,
1.41 GB left) I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic. I'm just very confused as
to why it is almost full when I hardly have anything on it yet. I've cleaned
it up the best I can and deleted all that I think I can and I've defragmented
after-with little or no change. I'm 10 months new to this computer world but
any advice?
IceFire

Re: memory problems?
Try do the following:

Go to...
>All Programs
>>Maintenance
>>>Problem Reports and Solutions

....at the top left corner, click on Check for new solutions.
Let it do whatever it has and close.

Then run Disk Cleanup...

Go to...
>All Programs
>>Accessories
>>>Disk Cleanup

Might help.

"LouLou" <LouLou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My 10 month old computer is showing 98% full on "C" drive (64.4 GB
> installed,
> 1.41 GB left) I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic. I'm just very confused
> as
> to why it is almost full when I hardly have anything on it yet. I've
> cleaned
> it up the best I can and deleted all that I think I can and I've
> defragmented
> after-with little or no change. I'm 10 months new to this computer world
> but
> any advice?

Rick Rogers

Re: memory problems?
Hi,

After deleting, did you empty the recycle bin?
Have you adjusted the amount of space used by System Restore?
Do you store a lot of picture and video files?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"LouLou" <LouLou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My 10 month old computer is showing 98% full on "C" drive (64.4 GB
> installed,
> 1.41 GB left) I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic. I'm just very confused
> as
> to why it is almost full when I hardly have anything on it yet. I've
> cleaned
> it up the best I can and deleted all that I think I can and I've
> defragmented
> after-with little or no change. I'm 10 months new to this computer world
> but
> any advice?

JW

Re: memory problems?
Also recognize that restore points and file indexing can take a lot of disk
space.
"LouLou" <LouLou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My 10 month old computer is showing 98% full on "C" drive (64.4 GB
> installed,
> 1.41 GB left) I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic. I'm just very confused
> as
> to why it is almost full when I hardly have anything on it yet. I've
> cleaned
> it up the best I can and deleted all that I think I can and I've
> defragmented
> after-with little or no change. I'm 10 months new to this computer world
> but
> any advice?

Rick Rogers

Re: memory problems?
Also, one point: This is not a memory problem, this is a hard drive space
problem. "Memory" in the vernacular generally refers to the amount of
physically installed ram plus the virtual memory (commonly known as the
paging file).

--

> Hi,
>
> After deleting, did you empty the recycle bin?
> Have you adjusted the amount of space used by System Restore?
> Do you store a lot of picture and video files?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "LouLou" <LouLou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My 10 month old computer is showing 98% full on "C" drive (64.4 GB
>> installed,
>> 1.41 GB left) I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic. I'm just very
>> confused as
>> to why it is almost full when I hardly have anything on it yet. I've
>> cleaned
>> it up the best I can and deleted all that I think I can and I've
>> defragmented
>> after-with little or no change. I'm 10 months new to this computer world
>> but
>> any advice?

R. C. White

Re: memory problems?
Hi, LouLou.

Welcome to the wonderful world of computers! ;<)

One of the threshold problems of computing is terminology, and one term that
we all have to learn is "memory". That term generally refers to the memory
chips plugged into the mainboard (also called the "motherboard"). We never
see these chips unless we open the computer case, but they are involved in
every operation the computer performs. But when the power goes off, they
forget everything and have to be reminded when the computer is turned on
again. So, before the computer shuts down, everything must be safely stored
on the hard disk drive, which does not forget when turned off. When the
computer is turned on, the Vista operating system is copied from the hard
drive to the system memory again, and then the refreshed memory takes
control and runs the computer. This usually takes less than a minute;
that's what's happening between the time we hit the switch and when we see
the Desktop and can start using Vista.

We generally refer to space on the hard disk as "storage" or just as "disk
space". Today's hard drives are usually at least 20 GB and many of them
hold hundreds of GB each, with 300+ GB drives becoming quite common.
"Memory" sizes are more typically 512 MB (.5 GB), 1 GB or 2 GB.

Your question really is about hard drive space, rather than "memory", as
most of us use the term, so "storage problems" might have been a more
appropriate subject line.

And, yes, many of us have problems with running out of disk space. Rick and
the others have given you some good tips for recovering some of your disk
space.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"LouLou" <LouLou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My 10 month old computer is showing 98% full on "C" drive (64.4 GB
> installed,
> 1.41 GB left) I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic. I'm just very confused
> as
> to why it is almost full when I hardly have anything on it yet. I've
> cleaned
> it up the best I can and deleted all that I think I can and I've
> defragmented
> after-with little or no change. I'm 10 months new to this computer world
> but
> any advice?

SuperFly1971

Re: memory problems?

Sounds like the it could have been formatted incorrectly at the factory.
Back up all your stuff and reload the OS. Make sure you see all the
available HD space on reload. Sees 64 then its most likely an 80gb
drive. Weird to see that small of a HD they usally had 120gb drives or
bigger 10 months ago. Why I think it may need a reformat size of HD
doesnt make sence.

--
SuperFly1971