readyboost

Troy Marrs

readyboost
Is my 256mb thumb drive making a difference to my 1gb installed ddr2
pc2-4200, athlon 64 live 4200 dual core system?

Dustin Harper

Re: readyboost
Probably not. Not only is is a small drive, it may be a slow drive. I know
you can force a 256MB to run ReadyBoost, but I'm not sure if it does it by
default.

Also, it depends on what you are doing. Web, email, word processing...
Probably not, with the 1GB of RAM.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Troy Marrs" <trmarrs@longviewcomm.net> wrote in message
> Is my 256mb thumb drive making a difference to my 1gb installed ddr2
> pc2-4200, athlon 64 live 4200 dual core system?

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: readyboost
Readyboost is a useful feature where a system can cache to a space faster
than anything a 10ms HDD can provide, while preserving RAM allocation for
where it would be better served.. while you may not notice huge gains, your
system will undoubtedly benefit..

Readyboost is NOT a RAM alternative..

"Troy Marrs" <trmarrs@longviewcomm.net> wrote in message
> Is my 256mb thumb drive making a difference to my 1gb installed ddr2
> pc2-4200, athlon 64 live 4200 dual core system?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Walter Blanchard

Re: readyboost
Mike,

Do you have any advice on which device is best: I see SanDisk has both a 1GB
SD card and a USB stick?

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

"Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Readyboost is a useful feature where a system can cache to a space faster
> than anything a 10ms HDD can provide, while preserving RAM allocation for
> where it would be better served.. while you may not notice huge gains,
> your system will undoubtedly benefit..
>
> Readyboost is NOT a RAM alternative..

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: readyboost
Walter

Go for the Cruzer Micro stick, but don't get one specifically for ReadyBoost
unless you are in the habit of working with a variety slow laptops and
desktops.. if you want a speed boost for your own machine, buy more RAM.. a
1gb RAM stick will do way more good than a 2gb Cruzer ever will..

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Cata...ash_Drive.aspx

"Walter Blanchard" <Walter B@communities.nospam> wrote in message
news1D1A860-2FF8-4163-BF45-76F69D759047@microsoft.com...
> Mike,
>
> Do you have any advice on which device is best: I see SanDisk has both a
> 1GB SD card and a USB stick?
>
> --
>
> ______________________________
>
> Walter B
> waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
> ______________________________
>

> "Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Readyboost is a useful feature where a system can cache to a space faster
>> than anything a 10ms HDD can provide, while preserving RAM allocation for
>> where it would be better served.. while you may not notice huge gains,
>> your system will undoubtedly benefit..
>>
>> Readyboost is NOT a RAM alternative..

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Walter Blanchard

Re: readyboost
Mike,

Maybe I don't need it at all, then. I have 4GB RAM on this machine.

--

______________________________

> Walter
>
> Go for the Cruzer Micro stick, but don't get one specifically for
> ReadyBoost unless you are in the habit of working with a variety slow
> laptops and desktops.. if you want a speed boost for your own machine, buy
> more RAM.. a 1gb RAM stick will do way more good than a 2gb Cruzer ever
> will..
>
> http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Cata...ash_Drive.aspx
>

> "Walter Blanchard" <Walter B@communities.nospam> wrote in message
> news1D1A860-2FF8-4163-BF45-76F69D759047@microsoft.com...
>> Mike,
>>
>> Do you have any advice on which device is best: I see SanDisk has both a
>> 1GB SD card and a USB stick?
>>
>> --
>>
>> ______________________________
>>
>> Walter B
>> waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
>> ______________________________
>>

>> "Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Readyboost is a useful feature where a system can cache to a space
>>> faster than anything a 10ms HDD can provide, while preserving RAM
>>> allocation for where it would be better served.. while you may not
>>> notice huge gains, your system will undoubtedly benefit..
>>>
>>> Readyboost is NOT a RAM alternative..

>>> --
>>>

>>> Mike Hall
>>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
>>>

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

thetruthhurts @homail.com

Re: readyboost
No readyboost like many other MS new features in their first iteration
look/sound cool but are of little real practical value to 99% of the
user community. Buy more RAM, Vista loves it.

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:56:05 -0600, "Troy Marrs"
<trmarrs@longviewcomm.net> wrote:

>Is my 256mb thumb drive making a difference to my 1gb installed ddr2
>pc2-4200, athlon 64 live 4200 dual core system?

=?Utf-8?B?eGlvd2Fu?=

Re: readyboost

Hi All:
After reading about Ready-Boost benefits on a couple of online computer
review sites, I got a SuperTalent ReadyBoost 2 GB thumb drive for 29.95 and
now use that on my system. I can't pin down the exact speed increase, but I
can see a noticeable difference when I call up frequently used programs. I
think it is best to use at least as much Ready Boost capacity as you have in
RAM to get the best results. Also, you can "train" your computer to use the
Ready-Boost drive by making sure you open the most frequently used programs
after installing it and then it seems to put those on the ReadyBoost drive
each time you turn on the computer. My computer has 2 GB of DDR2 667 RAM and
ReadyBoost even helps with plenty of RAM for me. On laptops or desktops with
limited RAM I imagine ReadyBoost would be an even more noticeable aid to
speed.

xiowan..........in tucson
=?Utf-8?B?c2t5enlr?=

RE: readyboost
I have 1.5 Gb DDR2 566, I use a 2 Gb SD card with Ready Boost. I've alloted
the full memory. I notice a difference. With a laptop one can see visually
with the LEDs that it is constantly being used. Unfortunately it does not
worl with all apps. I don't agree with the calculation method previously
stated. I think its's more like if I get 400 Mb boost I'm lucky, the
difference is minimal, but untill I upgrade to 2 Gb, it will have to do. 2 Gb
is the ideal. In memory and speed I'm rated at 4.8 and 4.6

"Troy Marrs" wrote:

> Is my 256mb thumb drive making a difference to my 1gb installed ddr2
> pc2-4200, athlon 64 live 4200 dual core system?

=?Utf-8?B?a2Fwc2ln?=

RE: readyboost
Hello skyzyk:
I was wondering if you could tell me the brand name of the 2 Gb SD card
you're using with Ready Boost. I have been using a 256 mb flash drive on my
laptop and it works well but I hate that the flash drive is sticking out the
side of my machine.

Thanks.