Allow computer to turn off wireless keyboard and mouse

Carm

Allow computer to turn off wireless keyboard and mouse
I have Vista and a Microsoft 6000 wireless keyboard and mouse set. The
option under their properties in power management to "allow computer to turn
off this device" is grayed and unavailable.

Anyone know how to make this option available? I tried going to
Administrative Tools, but it's the same things there - still unavailable.

I'm trying to select this option in the hopes that it will allow my computer
to automatically go to sleep; right now, if the keyboard and mouse receiver
is plugged in to the USB port, the computer will not automatically sleep. If
I unplug it, the computer will sleep.
--
CW
mikeyhsd

Re: Allow computer to turn off wireless keyboard and mouse
have you checked the options for the mouse/keyboard software.
mine had power options in the program itself.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Carm" <Carm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF2880E1-E3EE-423D-8D44-5C41B8863242@microsoft.com...
I have Vista and a Microsoft 6000 wireless keyboard and mouse set. The
option under their properties in power management to "allow computer to turn
off this device" is grayed and unavailable.

Anyone know how to make this option available? I tried going to
Administrative Tools, but it's the same things there - still unavailable.

I'm trying to select this option in the hopes that it will allow my computer
to automatically go to sleep; right now, if the keyboard and mouse receiver
is plugged in to the USB port, the computer will not automatically sleep. If
I unplug it, the computer will sleep.
--
CW
R. C. White

Re: Allow computer to turn off wireless keyboard and mouse
Hi, Carm.

I have the same 6000 desktop set. I worry that if I turn them off, I won't
be able to wake up the computer again. :^{

With my former cordless keyboard, I could set my BIOS to wake up the
computer when I press <Ctrl>+F1, but I haven't found the magic setting to do
that with the 6000 keyboard.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Carm" <Carm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Vista and a Microsoft 6000 wireless keyboard and mouse set. The
> option under their properties in power management to "allow computer to
> turn
> off this device" is grayed and unavailable.
>
> Anyone know how to make this option available? I tried going to
> Administrative Tools, but it's the same things there - still unavailable.
>
> I'm trying to select this option in the hopes that it will allow my
> computer
> to automatically go to sleep; right now, if the keyboard and mouse
> receiver
> is plugged in to the USB port, the computer will not automatically sleep.
> If
> I unplug it, the computer will sleep.
> --
> CW

Carm

Re: Solution - Allow computer to turn off wireless keyboard and mouse
Well, everyone, I finally gave up and called Microsoft support since my 6000
keyboard and mouse are only a week old. Guess what! They fixed it! A tech
support professional (in India) shared my desktop and downloaded an optional
hardware update that I didn't have access to. The name of it is Microsoft -
Other Hardware - HID non-user input data filter. He then accessed all the
USB Root Hubs and unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device
to save power" setting under Power Management in properties so that the mouse
or keyboard could wake the computer up. He may have done something else but
I think that was it. Anyway, My computer sleeps just fine now and all is
well.

Thanks for your responses.
CW

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Carm.
>
> I have the same 6000 desktop set. I worry that if I turn them off, I won't
> be able to wake up the computer again. :^{
>
> With my former cordless keyboard, I could set my BIOS to wake up the
> computer when I press <Ctrl>+F1, but I haven't found the magic setting to do
> that with the 6000 keyboard.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Carm" <Carm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have Vista and a Microsoft 6000 wireless keyboard and mouse set. The
> > option under their properties in power management to "allow computer to
> > turn
> > off this device" is grayed and unavailable.
> >
> > Anyone know how to make this option available? I tried going to
> > Administrative Tools, but it's the same things there - still unavailable.
> >
> > I'm trying to select this option in the hopes that it will allow my
> > computer
> > to automatically go to sleep; right now, if the keyboard and mouse
> > receiver
> > is plugged in to the USB port, the computer will not automatically sleep.
> > If
> > I unplug it, the computer will sleep.
> > --
> > CW

Carm

Re: Allow computer to turn off wireless keyboard and mouse
Thanks for the response. Please see my reply to RC White.
--
CW

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> have you checked the options for the mouse/keyboard software.
> mine had power options in the program itself.
>

> mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com
>

> "Carm" <Carm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF2880E1-E3EE-423D-8D44-5C41B8863242@microsoft.com...
> I have Vista and a Microsoft 6000 wireless keyboard and mouse set. The
> option under their properties in power management to "allow computer to turn
> off this device" is grayed and unavailable.
>
> Anyone know how to make this option available? I tried going to
> Administrative Tools, but it's the same things there - still unavailable.
>
> I'm trying to select this option in the hopes that it will allow my computer
> to automatically go to sleep; right now, if the keyboard and mouse receiver
> is plugged in to the USB port, the computer will not automatically sleep. If
> I unplug it, the computer will sleep.
> --
> CW

R. C. White

Re: Solution - Allow computer to turn off wireless keyboard and mouse
Hi, Carm.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to file this one away where I can find
it again. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA