Buffalo DriveStation not recognised by Vista

TomnJo

Buffalo DriveStation not recognised by Vista
Hi,

Anyone any experience of getting Vista to recognise a Buffalo DriveStation
Combo?
Vista won't recognise mine whether I connect it via the USB or the FireWire
cable. The drive is supposed to be Plug-and-Play under Vista - no such
luck!!! I haven't had any problems with any other devices ... plug-and-play
has always worked before. I'm about ready to give up and return the drive to
the retailer - spent the last two days trying to find a solution and not sure
I have much hair left to pull out.

All help appreciated

Thx
Tom
mikeyhsd

Re: Buffalo DriveStation not recognised by Vista
did it come with driver disk.
if not ask the manufacturer about vista drivers.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"TomnJo" <TomnJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EDEF36F9-12AF-4819-8C7C-70F0962866A7@microsoft.com...
Hi,

Anyone any experience of getting Vista to recognise a Buffalo DriveStation
Combo?
Vista won't recognise mine whether I connect it via the USB or the FireWire
cable. The drive is supposed to be Plug-and-Play under Vista - no such
luck!!! I haven't had any problems with any other devices ... plug-and-play
has always worked before. I'm about ready to give up and return the drive to
the retailer - spent the last two days trying to find a solution and not sure
I have much hair left to pull out.

All help appreciated

Thx
Tom
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Buffalo DriveStation not recognised by Vista
Buffalo does list a June 2007 firmware update that supports Vista.

"TomnJo" <TomnJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Anyone any experience of getting Vista to recognise a Buffalo DriveStation
> Combo?
> Vista won't recognise mine whether I connect it via the USB or the
> FireWire
> cable. The drive is supposed to be Plug-and-Play under Vista - no such
> luck!!! I haven't had any problems with any other devices ...
> plug-and-play
> has always worked before. I'm about ready to give up and return the drive
> the retailer - spent the last two days trying to find a solution and not
> sure
> I have much hair left to pull out.
>
> All help appreciated
>
> Thx
> Tom

Nigel

Re: Buffalo DriveStation not recognised by Vista

Hmmm - are you still able to find this firmware update on Buffalo's Web
Site? I can't find it. I have already contacted Buffalo but their
Technical Support Team are slow to respond. The drive did come with a
software and drivers disk but neither the software nor thw drivers would
install under Vista.

Tom

--
Nigel
JohnFitz

Re: Buffalo DriveStation not recognised by Vista

I have a Sony laptop running Vista. I bought a Buffalo DriveStation
Combo recently and got it working with the supplied Memeo AutoBackup.
It seemed to be running fairly slowly and had a problem transferring an
iso file and reported that the backup was complete even though there
were quite a number of folders not copied. I upgraded to v3.5 and
eventually with a bit of fiddling I was reasonably happy with it.
Then the Drive Station stopped connecting. The system would check for
the drive about once a minute - find it - then it would drop it. I did
spot a Windows message saying "Could not load driver software". I
checked and the USB drivers were up-to-date. I switched off TurboUSB
but that made no difference.
After a couple of days it is now working again - I don't know why....
Occasionally a system message will pop up saying that I am using USB
1.1 with the DriveStation and that it would run faster if I connected it
to USB 2.0. Well of course, but my 3 USB ports ARE 2.0 so I wonder does
the DriveStation itself inhibit the USB speed.
Overall I am nervous about my backup system when really I need to be
super confident with it.
If anyone has any similar experiences I would be grateful to hear from
them.
Many thanks
John

--
JohnFitz
JohnFitz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/johnfitz.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Richard Urban

Re: Buffalo DriveStation not recognised by Vista
Is your drive station USB 2.0 compliant?

Does it use special drivers because they have made some modifications that
they wish to implement.

Some/most external drives use the system USB drivers. One or two don't. I
sold one that didn't (can't remember the brand) because I didn't want the
hassle.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"JohnFitz" <JohnFitz.3fd4fb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have a Sony laptop running Vista. I bought a Buffalo DriveStation
> Combo recently and got it working with the supplied Memeo AutoBackup.
> It seemed to be running fairly slowly and had a problem transferring an
> iso file and reported that the backup was complete even though there
> were quite a number of folders not copied. I upgraded to v3.5 and
> eventually with a bit of fiddling I was reasonably happy with it.
> Then the Drive Station stopped connecting. The system would check for
> the drive about once a minute - find it - then it would drop it. I did
> spot a Windows message saying "Could not load driver software". I
> checked and the USB drivers were up-to-date. I switched off TurboUSB
> but that made no difference.
> After a couple of days it is now working again - I don't know why....
> Occasionally a system message will pop up saying that I am using USB
> 1.1 with the DriveStation and that it would run faster if I connected it
> to USB 2.0. Well of course, but my 3 USB ports ARE 2.0 so I wonder does
> the DriveStation itself inhibit the USB speed.
> Overall I am nervous about my backup system when really I need to be
> super confident with it.
> If anyone has any similar experiences I would be grateful to hear from
> them.
> Many thanks
> John
>

> --
> JohnFitz
> JohnFitz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/johnfitz.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...ces/893162.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

JohnFitz

Re: Buffalo DriveStation not recognised by Vista

Features:
No need to install drivers
Supports USB 2.0/1.1

Technical Specification:
Port: 1 USB Series A
Data Transfer Speed : Max 480 Mbps (USB 2.0 Mode)
Max 12 Mbps (USB 1.1 Mode)

I haven't seen anything about special USB drivers........

John