Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

CD/DVD Drives Not Showing

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008
Mribaul
 

Posts: n/a
CD/DVD Drives Not Showing
Why doesnt my CD/DVD drives show up in My Computer?! Everytime I reinstall
VISTA it appears, but after a while theyre not there? And when I put XP on
the machine, it never happens. Only in VISTA, first I thought theyre not
supported but when I first install VISTA theyre there...then as I said...give
it a month and they dont show up and when I put a disc in nothing happens and
I cant even type in their location ex. D:/ WHY?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2008
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD/DVD Drives Not Showing
Hi, Mribaul.

First of all, "My Computer" is a WinXP term which does not exist in Vista
except as a "Junction" that points legacy applications to the correct
location in Vista. In Vista, the term is "Computer". (There are similar
junctions for "My Pictures", "My Documents", etc., pointing to
C:\Users\Mribaul\Documents, for example.)

Do your CD/DVD drives show up in Disk Management? Many users have not yet
found this very useful utility. You can get to it in several ways; the
shortest is to click Start, type "diskmgmt.msc" (without quotes), and press
Enter. Or you can click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools |
Computer Management | Disk Management. Either way, you'll need to furnish
Administrator credentials.

Disk Management is the tool to manage many kinds of devices, hard drives,
optical drives, network drives, USB flash drives, cameras and card readers,
just about any kind of device that gets assigned a "drive" letter. We can
let Vista assign a new letter each time we log on or plug in a new device,
or we can use Disk Management to (semi-)permanently assign the letter we
want to each device. If we don't assign letters, our CD drive may be Drive
E: this time and Drive G: next time after we've plugged in a couple of USB
thumb drives. The devices will not show up in Computer until a letter has
been assigned, either automatically or specifically in Disk Management.

Tell us what Disk Management says about your optical drives and then we can
go from there.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Mribaul" <Mribaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B1CD9938-092A-42B2-8EFC-F40183F54785@microsoft.com...
> Why doesnt my CD/DVD drives show up in My Computer?! Everytime I reinstall
> VISTA it appears, but after a while theyre not there? And when I put XP on
> the machine, it never happens. Only in VISTA, first I thought theyre not
> supported but when I first install VISTA theyre there...then as I
> said...give
> it a month and they dont show up and when I put a disc in nothing happens
> and
> I cant even type in their location ex. D:/ WHY?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2008
Mribaul
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD/DVD Drives Not Showing
Hey thanks for responding. I opened Computer Management then went to Disk
Management, the only thing that shows up are my hard drives. My CD/DVD drives
are not listed. I just dont understand how they are there one day and gone
the next. Is there anything else I should check? Oh also, I have check
Device Manager, and they ARE listed there under DVD/CD-ROM drives but they
both have a yellow exclamation mark next to them. I have tried reinstalling
the drivers for both of the, but it tells me that I have the latest drivers
installed.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Mribaul.
>
> First of all, "My Computer" is a WinXP term which does not exist in Vista
> except as a "Junction" that points legacy applications to the correct
> location in Vista. In Vista, the term is "Computer". (There are similar
> junctions for "My Pictures", "My Documents", etc., pointing to
> C:\Users\Mribaul\Documents, for example.)
>
> Do your CD/DVD drives show up in Disk Management? Many users have not yet
> found this very useful utility. You can get to it in several ways; the
> shortest is to click Start, type "diskmgmt.msc" (without quotes), and press
> Enter. Or you can click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools |
> Computer Management | Disk Management. Either way, you'll need to furnish
> Administrator credentials.
>
> Disk Management is the tool to manage many kinds of devices, hard drives,
> optical drives, network drives, USB flash drives, cameras and card readers,
> just about any kind of device that gets assigned a "drive" letter. We can
> let Vista assign a new letter each time we log on or plug in a new device,
> or we can use Disk Management to (semi-)permanently assign the letter we
> want to each device. If we don't assign letters, our CD drive may be Drive
> E: this time and Drive G: next time after we've plugged in a couple of USB
> thumb drives. The devices will not show up in Computer until a letter has
> been assigned, either automatically or specifically in Disk Management.
>
> Tell us what Disk Management says about your optical drives and then we can
> go from there.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Mribaul" <Mribaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B1CD9938-092A-42B2-8EFC-F40183F54785@microsoft.com...
> > Why doesnt my CD/DVD drives show up in My Computer?! Everytime I reinstall
> > VISTA it appears, but after a while theyre not there? And when I put XP on
> > the machine, it never happens. Only in VISTA, first I thought theyre not
> > supported but when I first install VISTA theyre there...then as I
> > said...give
> > it a month and they dont show up and when I put a disc in nothing happens
> > and
> > I cant even type in their location ex. D:/ WHY?

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2008
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD/DVD Drives Not Showing
Hi, Mribaul.

Well, I was hoping someone would jump in with the magic answer, but... :>(

There have been similar complaints from other users: drives - especially
CD/DVD but sometimes other types - here yesterday and gone today. It's hard
to find the common threads to try to pin down the cause and fix. I can
think of a couple of ideas.

First, what is the interface for your CD/DVD drives? The common IDE (also
known as ATA or PATA)? Or SCSI or SATA or USB or some other? And what
interface are your hard drives? Mixing the types can often confuse the
BIOS. We see this often when we want to boot from a SATA HD but also have
an IDE HD installed, for example. And sometimes, adding a USB flash drive
after letters have already been assigned by default to existing optical
drives can change the letters and cause confusion.

Second, have you tried disconnecting the CD/DVD drives completely and
booting a couple of times without them? We used to do this in WinXP to let
the OS kind of "clear its head" and forget that any drivers had ever been
installed. Then we'd power down, plug in the drives, and boot up again to
let them be detected again from scratch and let new drivers be installed.
It often worked. It might even help to plug in one drive now and the other
after the first one is working.

I hope someone comes up with better ideas than those. Please keep us
informed. In a newsgroup, we all learn from each other, and you may have
something to teach us soon. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Mribaul" <Mribaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E88AFD66-2117-49D6-B8AB-D3001DE20CF5@microsoft.com...
> Hey thanks for responding. I opened Computer Management then went to Disk
> Management, the only thing that shows up are my hard drives. My CD/DVD
> drives
> are not listed. I just dont understand how they are there one day and gone
> the next. Is there anything else I should check? Oh also, I have check
> Device Manager, and they ARE listed there under DVD/CD-ROM drives but they
> both have a yellow exclamation mark next to them. I have tried
> reinstalling
> the drivers for both of the, but it tells me that I have the latest
> drivers
> installed.
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Mribaul.
>>
>> First of all, "My Computer" is a WinXP term which does not exist in Vista
>> except as a "Junction" that points legacy applications to the correct
>> location in Vista. In Vista, the term is "Computer". (There are similar
>> junctions for "My Pictures", "My Documents", etc., pointing to
>> C:\Users\Mribaul\Documents, for example.)
>>
>> Do your CD/DVD drives show up in Disk Management? Many users have not
>> yet
>> found this very useful utility. You can get to it in several ways; the
>> shortest is to click Start, type "diskmgmt.msc" (without quotes), and
>> press
>> Enter. Or you can click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools |
>> Computer Management | Disk Management. Either way, you'll need to
>> furnish
>> Administrator credentials.
>>
>> Disk Management is the tool to manage many kinds of devices, hard drives,
>> optical drives, network drives, USB flash drives, cameras and card
>> readers,
>> just about any kind of device that gets assigned a "drive" letter. We
>> can
>> let Vista assign a new letter each time we log on or plug in a new
>> device,
>> or we can use Disk Management to (semi-)permanently assign the letter we
>> want to each device. If we don't assign letters, our CD drive may be
>> Drive
>> E: this time and Drive G: next time after we've plugged in a couple of
>> USB
>> thumb drives. The devices will not show up in Computer until a letter
>> has
>> been assigned, either automatically or specifically in Disk Management.
>>
>> Tell us what Disk Management says about your optical drives and then we
>> can
>> go from there.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Mribaul" <Mribaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B1CD9938-092A-42B2-8EFC-F40183F54785@microsoft.com...
>> > Why doesnt my CD/DVD drives show up in My Computer?! Everytime I
>> > reinstall
>> > VISTA it appears, but after a while theyre not there? And when I put XP
>> > on
>> > the machine, it never happens. Only in VISTA, first I thought theyre
>> > not
>> > supported but when I first install VISTA theyre there...then as I
>> > said...give
>> > it a month and they dont show up and when I put a disc in nothing
>> > happens
>> > and
>> > I cant even type in their location ex. D:/ WHY?


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2008
Jane C
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD/DVD Drives Not Showing
Although this article was written for XP, the same applies to Vista:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060


--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Mribaul" <Mribaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E88AFD66-2117-49D6-B8AB-D3001DE20CF5@microsoft.com...
> Hey thanks for responding. I opened Computer Management then went to Disk
> Management, the only thing that shows up are my hard drives. My CD/DVD
> drives
> are not listed. I just dont understand how they are there one day and gone
> the next. Is there anything else I should check? Oh also, I have check
> Device Manager, and they ARE listed there under DVD/CD-ROM drives but they
> both have a yellow exclamation mark next to them. I have tried
> reinstalling
> the drivers for both of the, but it tells me that I have the latest
> drivers
> installed.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2008
nicsegarty@hotmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD/DVD Drives Not Showing
On Jan 19, 12:29*am, "Jane C" <janecol...@invalid.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Although this article was written for XP, the same applies to Vista:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> Batteries not included. *Braincell on vacation ;-)
> MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> "Mribaul" <Mrib...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> news:E88AFD66-2117-49D6-B8AB-D3001DE20CF5@microsoft.com...
>
>
>
> > Hey thanks for responding. I opened Computer Management then went to Disk
> > Management, the only thing that shows up are my hard drives. My CD/DVD
> > drives
> > are not listed. I just dont understand how they are there one day and gone
> > the next. Is there anything else I should check? *Oh also, I have check
> > Device Manager, and they ARE listed there under DVD/CD-ROM drives but they
> > both have a yellow exclamation mark next to them. I have tried
> > reinstalling
> > the drivers for both of the, but it tells me that I have the latest
> > drivers
> > installed.- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


Hey Jane I could kiss you. this has just worked for me. YIPPDEEDOOOOO
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2008
Jane C
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD/DVD Drives Not Showing
<blush>

You're welcome

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

<nicsegarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f01669b6-3f86-4dc3-8174-d8e7f7d20b6b@m34g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

Hey Jane I could kiss you. this has just worked for me. YIPPDEEDOOOOO

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disc Drive not showing up under Drives, not loading discs, ect. gallegra microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 2 11-25-2007 21:24
DVD-RW not showing up =?Utf-8?B?YmF5c2ljazQxNQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 5 05-17-2007 02:26
Removable drives not showing up in Windows Explorer unless I type their address Steve microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 05-12-2007 23:54
portable hard drives not showing up at all =?Utf-8?B?aGVhdnluZXNz?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 04-20-2007 04:30
DVD Drives Not Showing =?Utf-8?B?R2VvZmY=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 2 04-11-2007 04:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:47.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120