Can't install ANY hardware

Godslayer333

Can't install ANY hardware
I used to think i was pretty knowageable about computers, but once i switched
to vista, i haven't been able to figure out anything! I can't install my Usb
hub, or my printer, or my logitech bluetooth reciever, even after downloading
the new vista installations and drivers for them and everything. For what
used to be cake on XP, was now something difficult and a pain. Even after
getting all the correct drivers and software, vista still claims to not have
them... I don't know what to do, it jus seems like Vista is somehow
preventing me from installing any hardware device at all. I'm at a total loss.
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Can't install ANY hardware
Please give specifics about your hardware.

Did Vista come preinstalled or did you install a retail copy? If a retail
copy did you upgrade from a previous OS?

"Godslayer333" <Godslayer333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used to think i was pretty knowageable about computers, but once i
>switched
> to vista, i haven't been able to figure out anything! I can't install my
> Usb
> hub, or my printer, or my logitech bluetooth reciever, even after
> downloading
> the new vista installations and drivers for them and everything. For what
> used to be cake on XP, was now something difficult and a pain. Even after
> getting all the correct drivers and software, vista still claims to not
> have
> them... I don't know what to do, it jus seems like Vista is somehow
> preventing me from installing any hardware device at all. I'm at a total
> loss.

Godslayer333

Re: Can't install ANY hardware
I have a Gateway GM5474 that came pre installed with vista. I've been trying
to install a Logitech MX5000 Blutooth USb reciever, a Lexmark X7170 printer,
and a USB hub/PCI USB 2.0 card combo from radioshack with no make or model
number to be found.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Please give specifics about your hardware.
>
> Did Vista come preinstalled or did you install a retail copy? If a retail
> copy did you upgrade from a previous OS?
>

> "Godslayer333" <Godslayer333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I used to think i was pretty knowageable about computers, but once i
> >switched
> > to vista, i haven't been able to figure out anything! I can't install my
> > Usb
> > hub, or my printer, or my logitech bluetooth reciever, even after
> > downloading
> > the new vista installations and drivers for them and everything. For what
> > used to be cake on XP, was now something difficult and a pain. Even after
> > getting all the correct drivers and software, vista still claims to not
> > have
> > them... I don't know what to do, it jus seems like Vista is somehow
> > preventing me from installing any hardware device at all. I'm at a total
> > loss.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Can't install ANY hardware
And what has Gateway Support told you when you asked them for help with
this?

>I have a Gateway GM5474 that came pre installed with vista. I've been
>trying
> to install a Logitech MX5000 Blutooth USb reciever, a Lexmark X7170
> printer,
> and a USB hub/PCI USB 2.0 card combo from radioshack with no make or model
> number to be found.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Please give specifics about your hardware.
>>
>> Did Vista come preinstalled or did you install a retail copy? If a
>> retail
>> copy did you upgrade from a previous OS?
>>

>> "Godslayer333" <Godslayer333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I used to think i was pretty knowageable about computers, but once i
>> >switched
>> > to vista, i haven't been able to figure out anything! I can't install
>> > my
>> > Usb
>> > hub, or my printer, or my logitech bluetooth reciever, even after
>> > downloading
>> > the new vista installations and drivers for them and everything. For
>> > what
>> > used to be cake on XP, was now something difficult and a pain. Even
>> > after
>> > getting all the correct drivers and software, vista still claims to not
>> > have
>> > them... I don't know what to do, it jus seems like Vista is somehow
>> > preventing me from installing any hardware device at all. I'm at a
>> > total
>> > loss.

Godslayer333

Re: Can't install ANY hardware
Well, i never asked gateway, i didn't think it was the computers' problem, i
thoguht it was some kind of problem with windows vista

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> And what has Gateway Support told you when you asked them for help with
> this?
>
> "Godslayer333" <Godslayer333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Gateway GM5474 that came pre installed with vista. I've been
> >trying
> > to install a Logitech MX5000 Blutooth USb reciever, a Lexmark X7170
> > printer,
> > and a USB hub/PCI USB 2.0 card combo from radioshack with no make or model
> > number to be found.
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> Please give specifics about your hardware.
> >>
> >> Did Vista come preinstalled or did you install a retail copy? If a
> >> retail
> >> copy did you upgrade from a previous OS?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Can't install ANY hardware
Even if it is Vista, since Vista came preinstalled by Gateway they are your
support team.

> Well, i never asked gateway, i didn't think it was the computers' problem,
> thoguht it was some kind of problem with windows vista
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> And what has Gateway Support told you when you asked them for help with
>> this?
>>
>> "Godslayer333" <Godslayer333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Gateway GM5474 that came pre installed with vista. I've been
>> >trying
>> > to install a Logitech MX5000 Blutooth USb reciever, a Lexmark X7170
>> > printer,
>> > and a USB hub/PCI USB 2.0 card combo from radioshack with no make or
>> > model
>> > number to be found.

Godslayer333

Re: Can't install ANY hardware
Even if i didn't get the computer through gateway? i got it refurbished off
of tiger direct. I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I hate using basic
customer support, they ask you even stupid question they can till they get to
the heart of the problem. "Is your computer plugged in?" "do you have the
right drivers installed?"
sigh... anyway, if thats what you think i should do....i guess i'll give it
a try. Thanks for your help. I was just hoping there was a much easier way.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Even if it is Vista, since Vista came preinstalled by Gateway they are your
> support team.
>
> "Godslayer333" <Godslayer333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, i never asked gateway, i didn't think it was the computers' problem,
> > thoguht it was some kind of problem with windows vista
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> And what has Gateway Support told you when you asked them for help with
> >> this?

Mike Hall - MVP

> Even if i didn't get the computer through gateway? i got it refurbished
> off
> of tiger direct. I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I hate using basic
> customer support, they ask you even stupid question they can till they get
> the heart of the problem. "Is your computer plugged in?" "do you have the
> right drivers installed?"
> sigh... anyway, if thats what you think i should do....i guess i'll give
> it
> a try. Thanks for your help. I was just hoping there was a much easier
> way.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Even if it is Vista, since Vista came preinstalled by Gateway they are
>> your
>> support team.
>>
>> "Godslayer333" <Godslayer333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Well, i never asked gateway, i didn't think it was the computers'
>> > problem,
>> > thoguht it was some kind of problem with windows vista

Did Tiger Direct give you any indication as to why the computer was
refurbished? Was it a return because the original buyer didn't like it, or
was it because it had faults which Tiger Direct claim to have repaired?

Your problems seem to be all USB related. You could try going into Control
Panel > System > Device Manager and removing the USB entries from the
configuration.

Next, reboot the computer and let Windows re-install drivers it thinks work
ok.

Now try connecting USB devices. If nothing works still, come back and tell
us what error messages appeared, if any..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Can't install ANY hardware
Check the BIOS to see if Legacy USB is enabled.

"Godslayer333" <Godslayer333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Even if i didn't get the computer through gateway? i got it refurbished
> off
> of tiger direct. I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I hate using basic
> customer support, they ask you even stupid question they can till they get
> the heart of the problem. "Is your computer plugged in?" "do you have the
> right drivers installed?"
> sigh... anyway, if thats what you think i should do....i guess i'll give
> it
> a try. Thanks for your help. I was just hoping there was a much easier
> way.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Even if it is Vista, since Vista came preinstalled by Gateway they are
>> your
>> support team.
>>
>> "Godslayer333" <Godslayer333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Well, i never asked gateway, i didn't think it was the computers'
>> > problem,
>> > thoguht it was some kind of problem with windows vista

Godslayer333

Re: Can't install ANY hardware
I don't think it's a USB issue, i have about 2 dozen usb devices that still
work just fine.