Memory strangeness

Azin

Memory strangeness

I've just installed another 2 Gig of RAM because Vista ultimate 64bit is
quite hungry for memory.

In the windows experience index I had a score of 5.6 out of 5.9, with
the 2 gig of memory bringing it down to 5.6, the rest of the hardware
scoring top at 5.9
I thought that by installing 4 gig in total my memory score would go up
to 5.9 too, but can you believe it, it's dropped to 5.5! [image:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...w_cussing.gif]
[image: http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i.../icon_eek.gif]
(BTW - exactly the same brand as the previous 2 sticks that were in
there before Corsair XMS2 DDR2 TwinX matched PC6400)

What going on lads [image:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...lies/conf.gif] [image:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_scratch.gif]

--
Azin
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Memory strangeness
There is a pretty common set of issues around pc6400 memory and the fourth
dimm slot on a number of mobos. You need to check on the mobo
manufacturer's website for details and in the forums hosted there for
advice. It is a fair bet that you would be better served with pc5300 ram or
by 2GB pc6400 sticks when moving to 4GB. This issue impacts XP Pro x64 as
well as Vista x64.

"Azin" <Azin.3372r2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I've just installed another 2 Gig of RAM because Vista ultimate 64bit is
> quite hungry for memory.
>
> In the windows experience index I had a score of 5.6 out of 5.9, with
> the 2 gig of memory bringing it down to 5.6, the rest of the hardware
> scoring top at 5.9
> I thought that by installing 4 gig in total my memory score would go up
> to 5.9 too, but can you believe it, it's dropped to 5.5! [image:
> http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...w_cussing.gif]
> [image: http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i.../icon_eek.gif]
> (BTW - exactly the same brand as the previous 2 sticks that were in
> there before Corsair XMS2 DDR2 TwinX matched PC6400)
>
> What going on lads [image:
> http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...lies/conf.gif] [image:
> http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_scratch.gif]
>

> --
> Azin

Azin

Re: Memory strangeness

Luckily i'm not having any issues with the OS itself, it's running great
with 4 gig in. allot of people can't even get their system running
without changing BIOS, increasing voltages, dropping cycles on the RAM
itself, all sorts of trouble.
As I said, luckily i'm not one of them, I just stuck the RAM in and it
fired up first go, all of i recognised etc.
Just wondering now how WEI gets it's baseline score? how it calculates
it? Does it run some kind of benchmark app? I ask because 4 gig of RAM
should be able to crunch a benchmark proggie faster and better than 2
gig? that's why i'm wondering how i score a lower memory test?

--
Azin
R. C. White

Re: Memory strangeness
Hi, Azin.

I'm running an EPoX MF570sli mobo/AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU, with an ATI
Radeon 1600 Pro PCIe. My PC started with 2 GB of OCZ Platinum DDR2 800
(PC6400) - SDRAM, to which I added another identical 2 GB last month. My
WEI is only 4.6, the "Graphics" score. My RAM score was 5.9 with 2 GB and
still 5.9 with 4 GB. (CPU 5.1, HD 5.2, Gaming Graphics 4.9)

As you said, "I just stuck the RAM in" and it worked. No trauma at all.
;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Azin" <Azin.3393o1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Luckily i'm not having any issues with the OS itself, it's running great
> with 4 gig in. allot of people can't even get their system running
> without changing BIOS, increasing voltages, dropping cycles on the RAM
> itself, all sorts of trouble.
> As I said, luckily i'm not one of them, I just stuck the RAM in and it
> fired up first go, all of i recognised etc.
> Just wondering now how WEI gets it's baseline score? how it calculates
> it? Does it run some kind of benchmark app? I ask because 4 gig of RAM
> should be able to crunch a benchmark proggie faster and better than 2
> gig? that's why i'm wondering how i score a lower memory test?
>

> --
> Azin

Patrick

Re: Memory strangeness
check ram speed
2gigs running at 1066 VS 4 gigs running at 800 when its a 1066 the 2 gigs
will have a higher score in MIPS
this is why on most MB"S we need to ad just the ram voltage, it's fine with
2 gigs but 4 needs a +0.3 added