Changing drive icons/labels for multi-card readers in My Computer

Dom

Changing drive icons/labels for multi-card readers in My Computer
I recently added a multi-card reader to my desktop running Vista Premium. Now
in My Computer, I have 4 drive letters, and each is labeled as "Removable
Drive". I've been experimenting trying to get them to show up with an icon
that corresponds to the type of card that particular drive reads. Now I'm no
whiz, but so far what I've been able to figure out is this:

If I use the registry and navigate to:'
HK_LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\explorer
and then add a new Key called "DriveIcons" I can add new Keys under that for
each Drive to specify the icon and label. So what I have is:

HKLM........explorer\DriveIcons\K\DefaultIcon
and
HKLM........explorer\DriveIcons\K\DefaultLabel

In each of those, I'm able to specify a label and an icon to show up in My
Computer. Most people would be happy, but I found out that there's a way to
make the drive show two different icons, one icon when a card is inserted,
and a different when no card is inserted. I found this out by downloading a
driver package for a different brand of card reader and opening the .inf file
in Notepad.

The thing is, i can't figure out how to do this with my card reader.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and what I can do to make it work?
wazza

Re: Changing drive icons/labels for multi-card readers in My Computer

Hi i have some good news for people who want to change there vista
boring cardresders ICONS. i was messing around with my vista 32 bit not
64 bit and my usb cardreaders. going to other manufacture website and
downloading there drivers for my cardreadersto see if they will work. I
came across SWEEX web site where i downloaded there vista drivers and
install them on my computer after i reboot my computer. And it was fully
in computer. I put a memory card in the cardreaders change icons from a
grey out icon to a color icon. i allso tried a set of akasa all in one
with serial ATA and fan contoller which have the blue LCD face and that
all so work with the drivers. I grest that those drivers can work lots
of other cardreaders out there.

good luck guys

--
wazza