Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Computer keeps thrashing

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2008
icky
 

Posts: n/a
Computer keeps thrashing
I don't know what's wrong. I've scanned and defragmented my system (more than
once,) I've deleted some files (including some cookies, temporary internet
files and my history) and I've rebooted a few times. Yet, the system still
keeps thrashing. Could it be an unknown virus? Should I downgrade to Windows
XP? BTW, I've had this laptop for 10 months...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2008
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Computer keeps thrashing
What do you mean by thrashing and how long has it been doing this? What
model laptop is it?

"icky" <icky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C84316FA-1B47-462E-87DE-552FC0B7FB13@microsoft.com...
>I don't know what's wrong. I've scanned and defragmented my system (more
>than
> once,) I've deleted some files (including some cookies, temporary internet
> files and my history) and I've rebooted a few times. Yet, the system still
> keeps thrashing. Could it be an unknown virus? Should I downgrade to
> Windows
> XP? BTW, I've had this laptop for 10 months...


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2008
icky
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Computer keeps thrashing
Meaning CPU meter goes up to 100% and the programs that I use either freeze
or slow down.

It's been doing this for a couple of weeks now.

And I have Windows Vista, Home Edition.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> What do you mean by thrashing and how long has it been doing this? What
> model laptop is it?
>
> "icky" <icky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C84316FA-1B47-462E-87DE-552FC0B7FB13@microsoft.com...
> >I don't know what's wrong. I've scanned and defragmented my system (more
> >than
> > once,) I've deleted some files (including some cookies, temporary internet
> > files and my history) and I've rebooted a few times. Yet, the system still
> > keeps thrashing. Could it be an unknown virus? Should I downgrade to
> > Windows
> > XP? BTW, I've had this laptop for 10 months...

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2008
Carlos
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Computer keeps thrashing
icky,
A system restore to a date when everything was running fine (one month ago?)
might fix it for good.
However, if you want to investigate a little bit...
1.- Run msconfig and see what programs are loaded during startup ("startup"
tab). Is there any program you don't know about there?
2.- Check the "services" tab and click on "hide ..." . See if there is any
suspicious services running there.
3.- Go to control panel, "remove programs" and see what programs are
installed in your PC. Check the list very carefully and see if you can find
unwanted software there (a little googling might help you on unknown
installed programs).

Carlos
"icky" wrote:

> Meaning CPU meter goes up to 100% and the programs that I use either freeze
> or slow down.
>
> It's been doing this for a couple of weeks now.
>
> And I have Windows Vista, Home Edition.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
> > What do you mean by thrashing and how long has it been doing this? What
> > model laptop is it?
> >
> > "icky" <icky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:C84316FA-1B47-462E-87DE-552FC0B7FB13@microsoft.com...
> > >I don't know what's wrong. I've scanned and defragmented my system (more
> > >than
> > > once,) I've deleted some files (including some cookies, temporary internet
> > > files and my history) and I've rebooted a few times. Yet, the system still
> > > keeps thrashing. Could it be an unknown virus? Should I downgrade to
> > > Windows
> > > XP? BTW, I've had this laptop for 10 months...

> >

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2008
icky
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Computer keeps thrashing
Well, I'm not sure what is supposed to be there (in terms of the processes)
and what's not; I don't want to delete something that I need. So, I
print-screened my Windows Task Manager and uploaded the picture
(http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m.../processes.jpg). So, could
someone spot a process that's not supposed to be there?

"Carlos" wrote:

> icky,
> A system restore to a date when everything was running fine (one month ago?)
> might fix it for good.
> However, if you want to investigate a little bit...
> 1.- Run msconfig and see what programs are loaded during startup ("startup"
> tab). Is there any program you don't know about there?
> 2.- Check the "services" tab and click on "hide ..." . See if there is any
> suspicious services running there.
> 3.- Go to control panel, "remove programs" and see what programs are
> installed in your PC. Check the list very carefully and see if you can find
> unwanted software there (a little googling might help you on unknown
> installed programs).
>
> Carlos
> "icky" wrote:
>
> > Meaning CPU meter goes up to 100% and the programs that I use either freeze
> > or slow down.
> >
> > It's been doing this for a couple of weeks now.
> >
> > And I have Windows Vista, Home Edition.
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> > > What do you mean by thrashing and how long has it been doing this? What
> > > model laptop is it?
> > >
> > > "icky" <icky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:C84316FA-1B47-462E-87DE-552FC0B7FB13@microsoft.com...
> > > >I don't know what's wrong. I've scanned and defragmented my system (more
> > > >than
> > > > once,) I've deleted some files (including some cookies, temporary internet
> > > > files and my history) and I've rebooted a few times. Yet, the system still
> > > > keeps thrashing. Could it be an unknown virus? Should I downgrade to
> > > > Windows
> > > > XP? BTW, I've had this laptop for 10 months...
> > >

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008
icky
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Computer keeps thrashing
No one?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disk thrashing John Burnie microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 9 08-05-2008 22:32
Vista Disk Thrashing HrundiBakshi microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 8 10-10-2007 21:47
Hard Drive thrashing Byron Hinson microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-01-2007 15:49
Disk Thrashing bvandew microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-01-2007 02:57
Continuous Disk Thrashing bvandew microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 5 02-28-2007 14:15




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:07.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120