Esata drive not recognized

craig

Esata drive not recognized
I just installed an esata (Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller)
Its recognized by vista but I don't see the drive. Do I need to attach a
cable fromthe card to the esata port.
I have a Dell 8400, no esata port on motherboard.
--
craig
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Esata drive not recognized
Have you gone into Drive Manager and formatted it and assigned a drive
letter?

"craig" <craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed an esata (Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller)
> Its recognized by vista but I don't see the drive. Do I need to attach a
> cable fromthe card to the esata port.
> I have a Dell 8400, no esata port on motherboard.
> --
> craig

craig

Re: Esata drive not recognized
the drive does not even show up in disk management.
--
craig

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Have you gone into Drive Manager and formatted it and assigned a drive
> letter?
>
> "craig" <craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just installed an esata (Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller)
> > Its recognized by vista but I don't see the drive. Do I need to attach a
> > cable fromthe card to the esata port.
> > I have a Dell 8400, no esata port on motherboard.
> > --
> > craig

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Esata drive not recognized
Then what do mean by "its recognized by Vista"?

You might check the BIOS to make sure that the external port is enabled.

"craig" <craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed an esata (Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller)
> Its recognized by vista but I don't see the drive. Do I need to attach a
> cable fromthe card to the esata port.
> I have a Dell 8400, no esata port on motherboard.
> --
> craig

peter

Re: Esata drive not recognized
You have a SATA Controller card that you installed in a PCI slot..right??
Does it have an External SATA port sticking out the back of the computer??
or did it come with an extension that you need to plug into the controller
and attach to a vacant PCI slot??
Is the card recognized in your BIOS?? Does it show the Drive connected??
peter

"craig" <craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just installed an esata (Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller)
> Its recognized by vista but I don't see the drive. Do I need to attach a
> cable fromthe card to the esata port.
> I have a Dell 8400, no esata port on motherboard.
> --
> craig

Patrick

Re: Esata drive not recognized
Yep still need the cable hooked up to the card and HD

"craig" <craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed an esata (Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller)
> Its recognized by vista but I don't see the drive. Do I need to attach a
> cable fromthe card to the esata port.
> I have a Dell 8400, no esata port on motherboard.
> --
> craig

craig

Re: Esata drive not recognized
The Sata Controller is plugged into a pci slot. E sata in an enclosure is
hooked up to a sata port on the back of the card. Hard drive starts up with
the computer a whirls and beeps when turns on. Controller card is seen at
start up and in device manager and is active (working properly). BUT i dont
see a hard drive listed. Do i need to run a esata driver on something else?
--
craig

"peter" wrote:

> You have a SATA Controller card that you installed in a PCI slot..right??
> Does it have an External SATA port sticking out the back of the computer??
> or did it come with an extension that you need to plug into the controller
> and attach to a vacant PCI slot??
> Is the card recognized in your BIOS?? Does it show the Drive connected??
> peter
>
> --
> DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
> offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
> If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
> me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
>

> "craig" <craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just installed an esata (Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller)
> > Its recognized by vista but I don't see the drive. Do I need to attach a
> > cable fromthe card to the esata port.
> > I have a Dell 8400, no esata port on motherboard.
> > --
> > craig

Arnaud

Re: Esata drive not recognized
I have the same problem. The disk is recognised in Device manager, but there
is no thumbnail in My Computer and therefore cannot use the drive. Any advise?

Thanks
Arnaud