Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Data Migration between hard drives on a single system

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2008
Jim22312
 

Posts: n/a
Data Migration between hard drives on a single system
I would like to copy all the contents from my boot drive to a new hard drive
recognized by the BIOS. Easy Transfer Wizard works between two systems not a
single system... I want to copy all my data including the hidden and system
files to the new drive and then reconfigure the boot sequence to boot from
the new drive... Western Digital has a utility that works with XP but not
with Vista... what is the best way to move this data... will drag and drop
move everything?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2008
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Data Migration between hard drives on a single system
No, you can use WET on the same computer. Before you change out hard
drives, run the wizard on the "old" computer and save the file to an
external hard drive or cds or dvds. When you have installed the new drive
run the wizard again but select the "new" computer and point the wizard to
the file it created on the first run.

WET works when you want to transfer your files and settings to a new
installation of Windows. WET does not transfer your programs or Windows
itself. You still have to install Windows on the new drive and re-install
your programs.

If you are trying to copy the entire drive, you need to use an imaging
program like Acronis True Image. You can use CompletePC Backup from Vista
itself if it is in your edition of Vista. It is not in the Home editions,
however.


"Jim22312" <Jim22312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A22E2521-FC67-4B9C-BFF8-B572A7ADB4C6@microsoft.com...
>I would like to copy all the contents from my boot drive to a new hard
>drive
> recognized by the BIOS. Easy Transfer Wizard works between two systems not
> a
> single system... I want to copy all my data including the hidden and
> system
> files to the new drive and then reconfigure the boot sequence to boot from
> the new drive... Western Digital has a utility that works with XP but not
> with Vista... what is the best way to move this data... will drag and drop
> move everything?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2008
Jim22312
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Data Migration between hard drives on a single system
I downloaded the trail verison of Acronis... It almost was right on target...
BUT ... it only wants to copy a partition... my old drive has one partition
and it is larger than what is needed to contain the System/Application
data... I want to clone to a drive with a smaller partition... I'm kinda
stumped how I can put it on my new drive without taking up more space than I
really need...

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> No, you can use WET on the same computer. Before you change out hard
> drives, run the wizard on the "old" computer and save the file to an
> external hard drive or cds or dvds. When you have installed the new drive
> run the wizard again but select the "new" computer and point the wizard to
> the file it created on the first run.
>
> WET works when you want to transfer your files and settings to a new
> installation of Windows. WET does not transfer your programs or Windows
> itself. You still have to install Windows on the new drive and re-install
> your programs.
>
> If you are trying to copy the entire drive, you need to use an imaging
> program like Acronis True Image. You can use CompletePC Backup from Vista
> itself if it is in your edition of Vista. It is not in the Home editions,
> however.
>
>
> "Jim22312" <Jim22312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A22E2521-FC67-4B9C-BFF8-B572A7ADB4C6@microsoft.com...
> >I would like to copy all the contents from my boot drive to a new hard
> >drive
> > recognized by the BIOS. Easy Transfer Wizard works between two systems not
> > a
> > single system... I want to copy all my data including the hidden and
> > system
> > files to the new drive and then reconfigure the boot sequence to boot from
> > the new drive... Western Digital has a utility that works with XP but not
> > with Vista... what is the best way to move this data... will drag and drop
> > move everything?

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2008
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Data Migration between hard drives on a single system
Can you use the WD utility to partition the drive first and then do the
restore with Acronis?

"Jim22312" <Jim22312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:914D0242-F246-47AA-BC1B-9F60D2412AEB@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded the trail verison of Acronis... It almost was right on
>target...
> BUT ... it only wants to copy a partition... my old drive has one
> partition
> and it is larger than what is needed to contain the System/Application
> data... I want to clone to a drive with a smaller partition... I'm kinda
> stumped how I can put it on my new drive without taking up more space than
> I
> really need...
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> No, you can use WET on the same computer. Before you change out hard
>> drives, run the wizard on the "old" computer and save the file to an
>> external hard drive or cds or dvds. When you have installed the new
>> drive
>> run the wizard again but select the "new" computer and point the wizard
>> to
>> the file it created on the first run.
>>
>> WET works when you want to transfer your files and settings to a new
>> installation of Windows. WET does not transfer your programs or Windows
>> itself. You still have to install Windows on the new drive and
>> re-install
>> your programs.
>>
>> If you are trying to copy the entire drive, you need to use an imaging
>> program like Acronis True Image. You can use CompletePC Backup from
>> Vista
>> itself if it is in your edition of Vista. It is not in the Home
>> editions,
>> however.
>>
>>
>> "Jim22312" <Jim22312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A22E2521-FC67-4B9C-BFF8-B572A7ADB4C6@microsoft.com...
>> >I would like to copy all the contents from my boot drive to a new hard
>> >drive
>> > recognized by the BIOS. Easy Transfer Wizard works between two systems
>> > not
>> > a
>> > single system... I want to copy all my data including the hidden and
>> > system
>> > files to the new drive and then reconfigure the boot sequence to boot
>> > from
>> > the new drive... Western Digital has a utility that works with XP but
>> > not
>> > with Vista... what is the best way to move this data... will drag and
>> > drop
>> > move everything?

>>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008
Jim22312
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Data Migration between hard drives on a single system
The WD utility doesn't work with VISTA ... this seems harder than it should
be... I sent a help request to Acronis too... I want to see if they have an
answer.


"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Can you use the WD utility to partition the drive first and then do the
> restore with Acronis?
>
> "Jim22312" <Jim22312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:914D0242-F246-47AA-BC1B-9F60D2412AEB@microsoft.com...
> >I downloaded the trail verison of Acronis... It almost was right on
> >target...
> > BUT ... it only wants to copy a partition... my old drive has one
> > partition
> > and it is larger than what is needed to contain the System/Application
> > data... I want to clone to a drive with a smaller partition... I'm kinda
> > stumped how I can put it on my new drive without taking up more space than
> > I
> > really need...
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> No, you can use WET on the same computer. Before you change out hard
> >> drives, run the wizard on the "old" computer and save the file to an
> >> external hard drive or cds or dvds. When you have installed the new
> >> drive
> >> run the wizard again but select the "new" computer and point the wizard
> >> to
> >> the file it created on the first run.
> >>
> >> WET works when you want to transfer your files and settings to a new
> >> installation of Windows. WET does not transfer your programs or Windows
> >> itself. You still have to install Windows on the new drive and
> >> re-install
> >> your programs.
> >>
> >> If you are trying to copy the entire drive, you need to use an imaging
> >> program like Acronis True Image. You can use CompletePC Backup from
> >> Vista
> >> itself if it is in your edition of Vista. It is not in the Home
> >> editions,
> >> however.
> >>
> >>
> >> "Jim22312" <Jim22312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:A22E2521-FC67-4B9C-BFF8-B572A7ADB4C6@microsoft.com...
> >> >I would like to copy all the contents from my boot drive to a new hard
> >> >drive
> >> > recognized by the BIOS. Easy Transfer Wizard works between two systems
> >> > not
> >> > a
> >> > single system... I want to copy all my data including the hidden and
> >> > system
> >> > files to the new drive and then reconfigure the boot sequence to boot
> >> > from
> >> > the new drive... Western Digital has a utility that works with XP but
> >> > not
> >> > with Vista... what is the best way to move this data... will drag and
> >> > drop
> >> > move everything?
> >>

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Data Migration between hard drives on a single system
Can't you boot the computer with the WD software? As I recall there are
instructions for that on the cd.

"Jim22312" <Jim22312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F5FA7C60-C5DC-4C83-BA22-9760CB8D5B7B@microsoft.com...
> The WD utility doesn't work with VISTA ... this seems harder than it
> should
> be... I sent a help request to Acronis too... I want to see if they have
> an
> answer.
>
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Can you use the WD utility to partition the drive first and then do the
>> restore with Acronis?
>>
>> "Jim22312" <Jim22312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:914D0242-F246-47AA-BC1B-9F60D2412AEB@microsoft.com...
>> >I downloaded the trail verison of Acronis... It almost was right on
>> >target...
>> > BUT ... it only wants to copy a partition... my old drive has one
>> > partition
>> > and it is larger than what is needed to contain the System/Application
>> > data... I want to clone to a drive with a smaller partition... I'm
>> > kinda
>> > stumped how I can put it on my new drive without taking up more space
>> > than
>> > I
>> > really need...
>> >
>> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>> >
>> >> No, you can use WET on the same computer. Before you change out hard
>> >> drives, run the wizard on the "old" computer and save the file to an
>> >> external hard drive or cds or dvds. When you have installed the new
>> >> drive
>> >> run the wizard again but select the "new" computer and point the
>> >> wizard
>> >> to
>> >> the file it created on the first run.
>> >>
>> >> WET works when you want to transfer your files and settings to a new
>> >> installation of Windows. WET does not transfer your programs or
>> >> Windows
>> >> itself. You still have to install Windows on the new drive and
>> >> re-install
>> >> your programs.
>> >>
>> >> If you are trying to copy the entire drive, you need to use an imaging
>> >> program like Acronis True Image. You can use CompletePC Backup from
>> >> Vista
>> >> itself if it is in your edition of Vista. It is not in the Home
>> >> editions,
>> >> however.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> "Jim22312" <Jim22312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:A22E2521-FC67-4B9C-BFF8-B572A7ADB4C6@microsoft.com...
>> >> >I would like to copy all the contents from my boot drive to a new
>> >> >hard
>> >> >drive
>> >> > recognized by the BIOS. Easy Transfer Wizard works between two
>> >> > systems
>> >> > not
>> >> > a
>> >> > single system... I want to copy all my data including the hidden and
>> >> > system
>> >> > files to the new drive and then reconfigure the boot sequence to
>> >> > boot
>> >> > from
>> >> > the new drive... Western Digital has a utility that works with XP
>> >> > but
>> >> > not
>> >> > with Vista... what is the best way to move this data... will drag
>> >> > and
>> >> > drop
>> >> > move everything?
>> >>

>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use of External Hard Drives and Flash USB Drives kwhite98 microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 01-05-2008 04:02
Gene Study Supports Single Bering Strait Migration Steve General Technology News 0 11-27-2007 19:00
can' t copy to flash drives or external hard drives with USB ports info@gbhmedia.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 11-11-2007 21:24
Old hard drives still full of sensitive data Paul Security News 0 09-21-2007 22:22
Confidential data on hard drives turning up Steve Security News 0 09-21-2007 19:40




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:57.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120