Jumper settings?

Dave T.

Jumper settings?
Hi folks,

Win Vista home premium.

I am installing a legacy WD hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure and am
unclear about how to set the jumpers. Would being on a USB connection
call for the single setting, or master/slave? It is an EIDE drive.

The prob I am having is that the USB driver installed ok, the drive
shows up in Disk management as a healthy FAT32, with drive letter "F"
assigned, but does not show up in Device Manager,Explorer or Computer.
Would Vista install controllers automatically, or do I need to find
drivers for it?

Any help appreciated.

User
--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Jumper settings?
"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
news:%ktij.35832$JD.2045@newssvr21.news.prodigy.ne t...
> Hi folks,
>
> Win Vista home premium.
>
> I am installing a legacy WD hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure and am
> unclear about how to set the jumpers. Would being on a USB connection call
> for the single setting, or master/slave? It is an EIDE drive.
>
> The prob I am having is that the USB driver installed ok, the drive shows
> up in Disk management as a healthy FAT32, with drive letter "F" assigned,
> but does not show up in Device Manager,Explorer or Computer. Would Vista
> install controllers automatically, or do I need to find drivers for it?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> User
> --
> Dave T.
>
> "Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
> until they are seventy-five".
> Benjamin Franklin

Set it for master/standalone..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Dustin Harper

Re: Jumper settings?
I'd say either Master or CS (Cable Select).

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.dot.kom | Replace the obvious

"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
news:%ktij.35832$JD.2045@newssvr21.news.prodigy.ne t...
> Hi folks,
>
> Win Vista home premium.
>
> I am installing a legacy WD hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure and am
> unclear about how to set the jumpers. Would being on a USB connection call
> for the single setting, or master/slave? It is an EIDE drive.
>
> The prob I am having is that the USB driver installed ok, the drive shows
> up in Disk management as a healthy FAT32, with drive letter "F" assigned,
> but does not show up in Device Manager,Explorer or Computer. Would Vista
> install controllers automatically, or do I need to find drivers for it?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> User
> --
> Dave T.
>
> "Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
> until they are seventy-five".
> Benjamin Franklin

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Jumper settings?
Since the connection to the computer will be usb it doesn't matter. The
settings only matter when the connection is an IDE controller on the mobo.

"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
news:%ktij.35832$JD.2045@newssvr21.news.prodigy.ne t...
> Hi folks,
>
> Win Vista home premium.
>
> I am installing a legacy WD hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure and am
> unclear about how to set the jumpers. Would being on a USB connection call
> for the single setting, or master/slave? It is an EIDE drive.
>
> The prob I am having is that the USB driver installed ok, the drive shows
> up in Disk management as a healthy FAT32, with drive letter "F" assigned,
> but does not show up in Device Manager,Explorer or Computer. Would Vista
> install controllers automatically, or do I need to find drivers for it?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> User
> --
> Dave T.
>
> "Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
> until they are seventy-five".
> Benjamin Franklin

andy

Re: Jumper settings?
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:08:43 GMT, "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Win Vista home premium.
>
>I am installing a legacy WD hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure and am
>unclear about how to set the jumpers. Would being on a USB connection
>call for the single setting, or master/slave? It is an EIDE drive.
>
>The prob I am having is that the USB driver installed ok, the drive
>shows up in Disk management as a healthy FAT32, with drive letter "F"
>assigned, but does not show up in Device Manager,Explorer or Computer.
>Would Vista install controllers automatically, or do I need to find
>drivers for it?

There's only one drive, so single.
If it shows in Disk Management with a drive letter, then it has to
appear in Device Manager. The only question is why it would not appear
in Windows Explorer. Have you tried refreshing Explorer?

>Any help appreciated.
>
>User

scrooge

Re: Jumper settings?

ok the drive needs to be formated to ntfs not fat32. in fat32 the drive
is not active.
in the Disk Management if you right click the drive can you see format
? if so try
formating the drive . if not your going to need the install disk from
w/d. you can download it at there site. hope that helps ...
mike

--
scrooge
Dave T.

Re: Jumper settings?
Hey guys, I hit the wrong key and may have cancelled this message. In
case you are able to see this, thanks to all for the responses. The
drive appeared as it should after the 3rd boot. Strange... anyhow, I got
it formatted and all is well now. thanks again.

--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin

Bookmark Jumper for MS Word 1.0 Bizsoft Business Software Feed 0 01-11-2008 10:10
Auf Festplatte durch falsch gesteckten Jumper,jetzt RAW Datei. Ermisch microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.hardware 2 11-02-2007 11:17
Dragon Jumper 1.62 Gamer Games Feed 0 04-14-2007 04:47
Clearing IP settings: duplicate ip settings and blank ip settings Tech_vs_Life microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 12-17-2006 03:42