SATA and SATA II interface

Jdr

SATA and SATA II interface
It's silly question, but haven't seen SATA II yet.
Is there any physical difference between SATA and SATAII
connectors? Is SATA cable compatible with SATAII?

TIA

Jdr
David A. Lessnau

Re: SATA and SATA II interface
Theoretically, SATA 3.0 (SATA II) and SATA are fully compatible with each
other. The cables, in particular, are the same. However, there are some
documented cases where certain devices don't like to talk to each other.
ESATA has different physical connectors designed mainly to keep them plugged
in, shielded, and give the cables a longer reach. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

"Jdr" <jdr@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> It's silly question, but haven't seen SATA II yet.
> Is there any physical difference between SATA and SATAII
> connectors? Is SATA cable compatible with SATAII?
>
> TIA
> Jdr

Jdr

Re: SATA and SATA II interface
Thank you David,
If I understand well SATAII hard Drive can be attached to SATA
connector on main board?

Jdr

"David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:594E934F-48BE-429F-A338-D94187BAD8DF@microsoft.com...
> Theoretically, SATA 3.0 (SATA II) and SATA are fully compatible with each
> other. The cables, in particular, are the same. However, there are some
> documented cases where certain devices don't like to talk to each other.
> ESATA has different physical connectors designed mainly to keep them
> plugged in, shielded, and give the cables a longer reach. Here's a link:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
>

> "Jdr" <jdr@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> It's silly question, but haven't seen SATA II yet.
>> Is there any physical difference between SATA and SATAII
>> connectors? Is SATA cable compatible with SATAII?
>>
>> TIA
>> Jdr

David A. Lessnau

Re: SATA and SATA II interface
Yes. It should just transfer data at SATA speeds instead of SATA 3.0
speeds. Again, I've read that some drives DO have trouble with this. If it
does, I believe there's usually a jumper somewhere to manually put the drive
in SATA 1.5 (original SATA) mode. Check the drive manufacturer's web site.

> Thank you David,
> If I understand well SATAII hard Drive can be attached to SATA
> connector on main board?
>
> Jdr
>
> "David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:594E934F-48BE-429F-A338-D94187BAD8DF@microsoft.com...
>> Theoretically, SATA 3.0 (SATA II) and SATA are fully compatible with each
>> other. The cables, in particular, are the same. However, there are some
>> documented cases where certain devices don't like to talk to each other.
>> ESATA has different physical connectors designed mainly to keep them
>> plugged in, shielded, and give the cables a longer reach. Here's a link:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
>>

>> "Jdr" <jdr@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> It's silly question, but haven't seen SATA II yet.
>>> Is there any physical difference between SATA and SATAII
>>> connectors? Is SATA cable compatible with SATAII?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Jdr

Steve Jain

Re: SATA and SATA II interface
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:14:44 -0600, "David A. Lessnau"
<DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes. It should just transfer data at SATA speeds instead of SATA 3.0
>speeds. Again, I've read that some drives DO have trouble with this. If it
>does, I believe there's usually a jumper somewhere to manually put the drive
>in SATA 1.5 (original SATA) mode. Check the drive manufacturer's web site.

I've also had SATA II drives default jumpering to SATA, so they won't
function at SATAII levels under the jumper is removed.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
Jdr

"Steve Jain" <noreply.-@-.essjae.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:14:44 -0600, "David A. Lessnau"
> <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes. It should just transfer data at SATA speeds instead of SATA 3.0
>>speeds. Again, I've read that some drives DO have trouble with this. If
>>it
>>does, I believe there's usually a jumper somewhere to manually put the
>>drive
>>in SATA 1.5 (original SATA) mode. Check the drive manufacturer's web
>>site.
>>

> I've also had SATA II drives default jumpering to SATA, so they won't
> function at SATAII levels under the jumper is removed.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
> http://vpc.essjae.com/

Thanks - that explains entirely some problems which I read about
earlier.

Jdr