Overclocking?

Emil Lulic

Overclocking?
I'm really interested in a possibility of increasing my CPU performance on
my Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC, with the following motherboard and CPU:

nVidia nforce4-MA motherboard (AM2 socket)
AMD Athlon 64 (3000+)(runs on 1.81 GHz)
1 Gb RAM
Cooler Master Gemin II processor cooler (non-stock)

Note: Windows Experience Index is 3.0 because of Processor, all other
ratings are 4.5 and higher!
Note #2: I have all newest motherboard (and other) drivers!

Question: Should I try overclocking, and if yes, by how much, and how?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort!

Emil Lulic

Rick Rogers

Re: Overclocking?
Hi,

There was a time when overclocking could be useful and increase performance,
and not overly stress the hardware (though it still often lead to premature
hardware failure). With today's high speed components, heat tolerances, and
timing sensitivity, it is recommended that you not overclock and stay within
component specifications. It is highly unlikely that the small percentage
gain (should you be able to stablize it) will actually result in a
noticeable performance increase, but it is very likely to cause timing
mismatches and stop errors.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Emil Lulic" <emill@eunet.yu> wrote in message
> I'm really interested in a possibility of increasing my CPU performance on
> my Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC, with the following motherboard and CPU:
>
> nVidia nforce4-MA motherboard (AM2 socket)
> AMD Athlon 64 (3000+)(runs on 1.81 GHz)
> 1 Gb RAM
> Cooler Master Gemin II processor cooler (non-stock)
>
> Note: Windows Experience Index is 3.0 because of Processor, all other
> ratings are 4.5 and higher!
> Note #2: I have all newest motherboard (and other) drivers!
>
> Question: Should I try overclocking, and if yes, by how much, and how?
>
> Thanks in advance for your time and effort!
>
> Emil Lulic

Patrick

Re: Overclocking?
lol hit me as funny coming from an mvp lol.................don;t mind me

anyway not the place here Google it find ya a forum that has your board that
has some overclocking tips

took my xq6850 to 3.7 gigs today but back at stock I want 4ghz

> Hi,
>
> There was a time when overclocking could be useful and increase
> performance, and not overly stress the hardware (though it still often
> lead to premature hardware failure). With today's high speed components,
> heat tolerances, and timing sensitivity, it is recommended that you not
> overclock and stay within component specifications. It is highly unlikely
> that the small percentage gain (should you be able to stablize it) will
> actually result in a noticeable performance increase, but it is very
> likely to cause timing mismatches and stop errors.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Emil Lulic" <emill@eunet.yu> wrote in message
>> I'm really interested in a possibility of increasing my CPU performance
>> on my Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC, with the following motherboard and CPU:
>>
>> nVidia nforce4-MA motherboard (AM2 socket)
>> AMD Athlon 64 (3000+)(runs on 1.81 GHz)
>> 1 Gb RAM
>> Cooler Master Gemin II processor cooler (non-stock)
>>
>> Note: Windows Experience Index is 3.0 because of Processor, all other
>> ratings are 4.5 and higher!
>> Note #2: I have all newest motherboard (and other) drivers!
>>
>> Question: Should I try overclocking, and if yes, by how much, and how?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your time and effort!
>>
>> Emil Lulic

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Overclocking?
"Emil Lulic" <emill@eunet.yu> wrote in message
> I'm really interested in a possibility of increasing my CPU performance on
> my Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC, with the following motherboard and CPU:
>
> nVidia nforce4-MA motherboard (AM2 socket)
> AMD Athlon 64 (3000+)(runs on 1.81 GHz)
> 1 Gb RAM
> Cooler Master Gemin II processor cooler (non-stock)
>
> Note: Windows Experience Index is 3.0 because of Processor, all other
> ratings are 4.5 and higher!
> Note #2: I have all newest motherboard (and other) drivers!
>
> Question: Should I try overclocking, and if yes, by how much, and how?
>
> Thanks in advance for your time and effort!
>
> Emil Lulic

If you want more performance from the processor, buy a better processor..
yours is about the lowest performance processor available for the
motherboard..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Overclocking?
You will not gain much in the WEI by overclocking. If the system is
responding well you don't need to do anything. If your cpu is just too slow
for what you are trying to do, buy a faster one. Your best bet is to get an
AMD64 x2. You will gain far more from dual core than you will from sheer
speed.

"Emil Lulic" <emill@eunet.yu> wrote in message
> I'm really interested in a possibility of increasing my CPU performance on
> my Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC, with the following motherboard and CPU:
>
> nVidia nforce4-MA motherboard (AM2 socket)
> AMD Athlon 64 (3000+)(runs on 1.81 GHz)
> 1 Gb RAM
> Cooler Master Gemin II processor cooler (non-stock)
>
> Note: Windows Experience Index is 3.0 because of Processor, all other
> ratings are 4.5 and higher!
> Note #2: I have all newest motherboard (and other) drivers!
>
> Question: Should I try overclocking, and if yes, by how much, and how?
>
> Thanks in advance for your time and effort!
>
> Emil Lulic

Dustin Harper

Re: Overclocking?
Your best bet is to check various overclocking websites. Some processors do
better than others. Sometimes, you get one that 90% of them overclock great,
and the other 10% can't overclock at all.

Here are a few great sites (check the forums, too. A wealth of information
in there). Overclocking is more of an art than a science.
http://www.hardocp.com | http://www.hardforum.com
http://www.overclockers.com
http://www.occafe.com

If you have the cooling for it, go for it. It is almost a free performance
gain. I'm running my CPU with watercooling, but there are some very good air
coolers out there that can do just as well.

Also, I have a P4 3.0 that I overclock to 3.6. I only gained .2 points in my
WEI (3.0 to 3.2 in WEI). Upgrading to a newer dual core CPU would be ideal,
though. Especially with prices so low on them right now. You'd get a HUGE
performance increase going from that 3000+ to ...say... a 5500+ or so.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.dot.kom | Replace the obvious

"Emil Lulic" <emill@eunet.yu> wrote in message
> I'm really interested in a possibility of increasing my CPU performance on
> my Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC, with the following motherboard and CPU:
>
> nVidia nforce4-MA motherboard (AM2 socket)
> AMD Athlon 64 (3000+)(runs on 1.81 GHz)
> 1 Gb RAM
> Cooler Master Gemin II processor cooler (non-stock)
>
> Note: Windows Experience Index is 3.0 because of Processor, all other
> ratings are 4.5 and higher!
> Note #2: I have all newest motherboard (and other) drivers!
>
> Question: Should I try overclocking, and if yes, by how much, and how?
>
> Thanks in advance for your time and effort!
>
> Emil Lulic

Emil Lulic

Re: Overclocking?
Thanks for your advice Everyone!

Emil Lulic
Carlos

Re: Overclocking?
Emil,
I would also add increasing memory from 1G to 2G's.
1G is enough but 2G's is much better.
You will surely note a real world performance improvement.
Carlos