New monitor and other problems

jwsy5902

New monitor and other problems

I'm running Vista Home Basic and have always had some issues with the
display. The settings have always changed on their own, but since I
updated to an LCD widescreen monitor (Starlogic, 21 inch) things have
gotten much worse.

Recommended resolution for this monitor is 1680x1015@60Hz. When it's
set to that, some things are fine but on some web pages, while the
window itself fits the screen the information on the page is narrow,
too small to read, and will not expand to fit the page. In other
resolutions the display is blurry and/or distorted. If I set the type
to a larger type in IE it usually will work, but then you can't see
much of the page because the words are taking up all the room.

I changed the dpi size to a larger one and that helps on some things,
but not others. Hitting control+ will enlarge some things, but not
others. It's all giving me a headache.

The graphics driver still says the monitor is 18x11 CRT. Is there a
way to change this, and even if I could would it matter? The new
monitor did not come with any software, and apparently they do not have
a web presence so I can't go there for help.

Finally -- all I'm using now is the VGA connector that came with it.
Would it help significantly if I were to upgrade to the DVI connector?

Thanks for any help.

--
jwsy5902
jwsy5902's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39464

http://forums.techarena.in

Gary Mount

Re: New monitor and other problems

"Finally -- all I'm using now is the VGA connector that came with it.
Would it help significantly if I were to upgrade to the DVI connector?"

If your video card doesn't have a DVI output then using the DVI connector on
the monitor will either not work or will revert to DVI Analog and hence will
be no different than using the VGA connector.
If you do have DVI support on your video card, then you will get a better
image as there will be no conversion to Analog.