windows update results in network failure

Fred Casa

windows update results in network failure
After installing important/recommended Windwos updates on my Dell Inspiron
XPS, Windows can't find the broadband connection via my router (another PC is
still connected to the internet via the same router). After System Restore,
the network connection is re-established. What is happening? Any advice? The
choice seems to be between updates and internet connection.
Matty1992

RE: windows update results in network failure
This happened to me the first day i bought my new laptop. I have Vista Home
Premium and i had set it all up connecting it to the internet. As soon as the
connection had established it straight away started installing updates. After
they had finished it prompted me to restart so i did. After logging back on
again the internet wouldn't connect. So the only way was to do a system
restore which brought the connection back. I then later found out the the
software licensing service had stopped working, meaning it was telling
windows i didn't have a genuine copy of windows. This might not be the
problem with ures but it fixed mine. So access the services click start - run
- type services.msc and scroll down to Software Licensing Service. If it
hasn't started click start it it is unable to then you have further problems
and need to contact microsoft. If it does start then double click it and set
it to automatic.

Hope this helps

and good luck
Dwarf

RE: windows update results in network failure
Hi Fred,

What security software are you using? It sounds as though the firewall is
blocking the connection. You need to check the settings in your firewall
configuration page. Check that 'iexplore.exe' and 'WinMail.exe' are set to
'Always Allow' instead of 'Auto' (or the equivalent, depending on your
firewall).
Dwarf