lack of Vista hardware drivers

Andrea Gates

lack of Vista hardware drivers
We are confronted with massive lack of hardware drivers in Vista.
Over 60% of our office peripheral equipment cannot be used at all when we
upgrade to Vista.

All the HP DeskJet 970 printers cannot print in duplex because HP declared
they do not have Vista drivers for this printers.

All our HP Scan jet C5200 cannot used at all because HP declared they do not
have Vista drivers for this scanner.

All our Dell Nitro 3D monitor adapters (using S3 ViRge/GX IC) do not have
Vista drivers and we cannot set the monitor to display except the lowest
basic VGA resolutions.

So why in the world Microsoft do not allow XP drivers to be used in Vista?

That means we have to roll back all our Vista systems back to XP and new
purchases in XP only.

Dustin Harper

Re: lack of Vista hardware drivers
The use of the Vista Upgrade Advisor tests your hardware and makes sure they
are Vista compatible.

Also, XP drivers aren't Vista compatible, as the drivers were responsible
for ~90% of crashes with Windows XP. The Vista driver model is made to
prevent those crashes.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Andrea Gates" <Andrea.Gates.no.spam@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are confronted with massive lack of hardware drivers in Vista.
> Over 60% of our office peripheral equipment cannot be used at all when we
> upgrade to Vista.
>
> All the HP DeskJet 970 printers cannot print in duplex because HP declared
> they do not have Vista drivers for this printers.
>
> All our HP Scan jet C5200 cannot used at all because HP declared they do
> not have Vista drivers for this scanner.
>
> All our Dell Nitro 3D monitor adapters (using S3 ViRge/GX IC) do not have
> Vista drivers and we cannot set the monitor to display except the lowest
> basic VGA resolutions.
>
> So why in the world Microsoft do not allow XP drivers to be used in Vista?
>
> That means we have to roll back all our Vista systems back to XP and new
> purchases in XP only.

John

Re: lack of Vista hardware drivers
Try setting any driver install exe program to run in XP compatability mode
(Properties tab) Then run the exe as an Admin. Sometimes that works.

"Andrea Gates" <Andrea.Gates.no.spam@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are confronted with massive lack of hardware drivers in Vista.
> Over 60% of our office peripheral equipment cannot be used at all when we
> upgrade to Vista.
>
> All the HP DeskJet 970 printers cannot print in duplex because HP declared
> they do not have Vista drivers for this printers.
>
> All our HP Scan jet C5200 cannot used at all because HP declared they do
> not have Vista drivers for this scanner.
>
> All our Dell Nitro 3D monitor adapters (using S3 ViRge/GX IC) do not have
> Vista drivers and we cannot set the monitor to display except the lowest
> basic VGA resolutions.
>
> So why in the world Microsoft do not allow XP drivers to be used in Vista?
>
> That means we have to roll back all our Vista systems back to XP and new
> purchases in XP only.

Rick Rogers

Re: lack of Vista hardware drivers
Hi Andrea,

Unlike applications, drivers have to be OS-specific. These are not something
that can be used in any sort of compatibility mode, as the main function of
the driver file is to communicate the instructions between the OS and the
hardware. Applications that use compatibility mode use a translation layer
that translates the instructions to compatible instructions. Whether or not
the hardware vendors choose to write these is the problem. There's no profit
in writing new drivers for old hardware, so few companies do it. It's not a
matter of whether or not it should be allowed, the drivers *must* be able to
comply to the OS' standards.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Andrea Gates" <Andrea.Gates.no.spam@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are confronted with massive lack of hardware drivers in Vista.
> Over 60% of our office peripheral equipment cannot be used at all when we
> upgrade to Vista.
>
> All the HP DeskJet 970 printers cannot print in duplex because HP declared
> they do not have Vista drivers for this printers.
>
> All our HP Scan jet C5200 cannot used at all because HP declared they do
> not have Vista drivers for this scanner.
>
> All our Dell Nitro 3D monitor adapters (using S3 ViRge/GX IC) do not have
> Vista drivers and we cannot set the monitor to display except the lowest
> basic VGA resolutions.
>
> So why in the world Microsoft do not allow XP drivers to be used in Vista?
>
> That means we have to roll back all our Vista systems back to XP and new
> purchases in XP only.

Hobo

Re: lack of Vista hardware drivers
You didn't mention which version of Vista you installed, but
when I installed Ultimate it surprisingly (to me , anyway)
loaded the drivers from the Vista disk for my HP 970CSE
printer. The printer works as well as it did under XP,
including photo printing.

Hobo

Andrea Gates wrote:
> We are confronted with massive lack of hardware drivers in Vista.
> Over 60% of our office peripheral equipment cannot be used at all when
> we upgrade to Vista.
>
> All the HP DeskJet 970 printers cannot print in duplex because HP
> declared they do not have Vista drivers for this printers.
>
> All our HP Scan jet C5200 cannot used at all because HP declared they do
> not have Vista drivers for this scanner.
>
> All our Dell Nitro 3D monitor adapters (using S3 ViRge/GX IC) do not
> have Vista drivers and we cannot set the monitor to display except the
> lowest basic VGA resolutions.
>
> So why in the world Microsoft do not allow XP drivers to be used in Vista?
>
> That means we have to roll back all our Vista systems back to XP and new
> purchases in XP only.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: lack of Vista hardware drivers
"Andrea Gates" <Andrea.Gates.no.spam@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are confronted with massive lack of hardware drivers in Vista.
> Over 60% of our office peripheral equipment cannot be used at all when we
> upgrade to Vista.
>
> All the HP DeskJet 970 printers cannot print in duplex because HP declared
> they do not have Vista drivers for this printers.
>
> All our HP Scan jet C5200 cannot used at all because HP declared they do
> not have Vista drivers for this scanner.
>
> All our Dell Nitro 3D monitor adapters (using S3 ViRge/GX IC) do not have
> Vista drivers and we cannot set the monitor to display except the lowest
> basic VGA resolutions.
>
> So why in the world Microsoft do not allow XP drivers to be used in Vista?
>
> That means we have to roll back all our Vista systems back to XP and new
> purchases in XP only.

You should only have to roll back the system on which you tested Vista for
compatibility with your office systems.

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Drew

Re: lack of Vista hardware drivers
Why in the world do you think this is Vista's fault ??

"Andrea Gates" <Andrea.Gates.no.spam@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are confronted with massive lack of hardware drivers in Vista.
> Over 60% of our office peripheral equipment cannot be used at all when we
> upgrade to Vista.
>
> All the HP DeskJet 970 printers cannot print in duplex because HP declared
> they do not have Vista drivers for this printers.
>
> All our HP Scan jet C5200 cannot used at all because HP declared they do
> not have Vista drivers for this scanner.
>
> All our Dell Nitro 3D monitor adapters (using S3 ViRge/GX IC) do not have
> Vista drivers and we cannot set the monitor to display except the lowest
> basic VGA resolutions.
>
> So why in the world Microsoft do not allow XP drivers to be used in Vista?
>
> That means we have to roll back all our Vista systems back to XP and new
> purchases in XP only.

Andrea Gates

"Hobo" <Hobo@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:B5OdnQByvdgv1hXanZ2dnUVZ_jednZ2d@giganews.com ...
> You didn't mention which version of Vista you installed, but when I
> installed Ultimate it surprisingly (to me , anyway) loaded the drivers
> from the Vista disk for my HP 970CSE printer. The printer works as well as
> it did under XP, including photo printing.
>
> Hobo

We are using Vista Ultimate. The HP deskjet 970Cxi no longer print duplex
in Vista Ultimate.

Are you able to print duplex in your HP970cse? How?

Andrea Gates

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Why in the world do you think this is Vista's fault ??

Well,

Colin Barnhorst

Re: lack of Vista hardware drivers
Microsoft does not write the drivers. It is the manufacturer's choice
whether or not to continue to support a device when a new OS is released.