SATA vs SATA2???

Bodidleysquat

SATA vs SATA2???
Are SATA and SATA2 like what USB1.1 and USB2.0 used to be? I mean does the
motherboard have to support SATA2 even though you already have SATA
connectors on the motherboard? If not and one wanted to install a SATA2
harddrive on their computer, would you have to do a motherboard BIOS update?
Or would you have to by a seperate card for SATA2, like I had to buy a
seperate USB2.0 card with my old computer? And my last question: Is there a
setting in say Device Manager to tell if your motherboard does support SATA2?
skunksmash

Re: SATA vs SATA2???

hi..... SATA 1 has a speed transfer of 1.5gb whereas SATA 2 has a
transfer speed of 3.00gb there isnt even a question here go with 2

your computer will have to support SATA 2 or it will only run at 1.5gb
u can put a SATA 2 drive in with no probs .......

--
skunksmash
BigJim

Re: SATA vs SATA2???
If you use a sata 3gb on a board that only supports 1.5gb you must change
the jumpers on the hard drive,
there are usually instructions for this at the manufactures web site.
"Bodidleysquat" <Bodidleysquat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are SATA and SATA2 like what USB1.1 and USB2.0 used to be? I mean does the
> motherboard have to support SATA2 even though you already have SATA
> connectors on the motherboard? If not and one wanted to install a SATA2
> harddrive on their computer, would you have to do a motherboard BIOS
> update?
> Or would you have to by a seperate card for SATA2, like I had to buy a
> seperate USB2.0 card with my old computer? And my last question: Is there
> setting in say Device Manager to tell if your motherboard does support
> SATA2?

Dwarf

RE: SATA vs SATA2???
Hi Bodidleysquat,

SATA and SATA2 are the equivalent of UDMA100 and UDMA133 with just a few
differences. SATA2 is a faster interface capable of transferring data at
speeds of upto twice that of SATA. As well as that, SATA2 also supports other
features, such as 'Native Command Queueing (NCQ)' providing that the hard
drive also supports it. Like the old E-IDE interface, the SATA interface is
very adaptable. If you use a drive with a higher transfer rate than the
interface it will default to the slower rate of your interface. Likewise, if
you use a drive with a lower transfer rate than your interface then your
interface's transfer rate slow down to match. This is because the interface
transfer rate is the theoretical maximum rate. Being electro-mechanical
devices, the actual raw data rate to and from the hard disk platters
themselves is only of a speed equivalent to 33-66 Mb/sec. It is the design of
the drive, its rotational speed and the size of the buffer, that makes them
seem faster.
Dwarf

"Bodidleysquat" wrote:

> Are SATA and SATA2 like what USB1.1 and USB2.0 used to be? I mean does the
> motherboard have to support SATA2 even though you already have SATA
> connectors on the motherboard? If not and one wanted to install a SATA2
> harddrive on their computer, would you have to do a motherboard BIOS update?
> Or would you have to by a seperate card for SATA2, like I had to buy a
> seperate USB2.0 card with my old computer? And my last question: Is there a
> setting in say Device Manager to tell if your motherboard does support SATA2?

skunksmash

Re: SATA vs SATA2???

oh.... i did not see any jumpers on my sata drive....?

--
skunksmash
Tom Ferguson

Re: SATA vs SATA2???
Look on the end with the power and transfer cable connectors. Do you see a
block of pins?

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"skunksmash" <skunksmash.331el3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> oh.... i did not see any jumpers on my sata drive....?
>

> --
> skunksmash

skunksmash

Re: SATA vs SATA2???

yes i see them now .......wot a nub

--
skunksmash
DevilsPGD

Re: SATA vs SATA2???
In message <ZI6dnWzwgJ8UKhranZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@comcast.com> "BigJim"
<woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If you use a sata 3gb on a board that only supports 1.5gb you must change
>the jumpers on the hard drive,
>there are usually instructions for this at the manufactures web site.

That is not correct. You only need to set a jumper on the drive if your
SATA implementation is very broken.

The SATA standard includes a capabilities negotiation phase, which,
among other things, includes speed negotiation.