Ram leak

=?Utf-8?B?V2FsZG9zcg==?=

Ram leak
I recently noticed that with my computer sitting idle that after a couple of
days it was using 53% of my ram(4 GB). When I reset my computer the RAM
usage went back to about 25% where it normally is. Has anyone else had this
problem?
Richard Urban

Re: Ram leak
It's not a problem unless it affects something else. I have the same
condition. Do you open Windows Mail and leave it running in the background.
It sucks up a lot of memory.

Use task manager and resource monitor to see if you have a true leakage
problem. A programs memory will keep going up, until the machine becomes
unresponsive.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Waldosr" <Waldosr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news82733E4-409B-4568-8736-B71385F9444C@microsoft.com...
>I recently noticed that with my computer sitting idle that after a couple
>of
> days it was using 53% of my ram(4 GB). When I reset my computer the RAM
> usage went back to about 25% where it normally is. Has anyone else had
> this
> problem?

JW

Re: Ram leak
It is probably allready written disk buffers in disk cache that you have
used and which can be used by other process it still shows as used and is
available to any program that want to read the written disk buffers.

> It's not a problem unless it affects something else. I have the same
> condition. Do you open Windows Mail and leave it running in the
> background. It sucks up a lot of memory.
>
> Use task manager and resource monitor to see if you have a true leakage
> problem. A programs memory will keep going up, until the machine becomes
> unresponsive.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "Waldosr" <Waldosr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news82733E4-409B-4568-8736-B71385F9444C@microsoft.com...
>>I recently noticed that with my computer sitting idle that after a couple
>>of
>> days it was using 53% of my ram(4 GB). When I reset my computer the RAM
>> usage went back to about 25% where it normally is. Has anyone else had
>> this
>> problem?

mikeyhsd

Re: Ram leak
do believe that vista preloads things into memory depending on your historical frequency of usage.
one of the many things they are trying to do to help a bloated poorly coded program from being slow.
prefetch/super fetch / speed boost are several others.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Waldosr" <Waldosr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news82733E4-409B-4568-8736-B71385F9444C@microsoft.com...
I recently noticed that with my computer sitting idle that after a couple of
days it was using 53% of my ram(4 GB). When I reset my computer the RAM
usage went back to about 25% where it normally is. Has anyone else had this
problem?
=?Utf-8?B?V2FsZG9zcg==?=

RE: Ram leak
Ok i did some research. After two days I found that sidebar.exe was using
nearly 176Mb and svhost.exe was using 160Mb. What should I do or cantact
about this?

"Waldosr" wrote:

> I recently noticed that with my computer sitting idle that after a couple of
> days it was using 53% of my ram(4 GB). When I reset my computer the RAM
> usage went back to about 25% where it normally is. Has anyone else had this
> problem?

JW

Re: Ram leak
Have you checked to see if when you have the higher Memory being used if you
also have high paging file activity?
If there is not a lot of paging file activity then your system still has a
lot of unused memory.
> Ok i did some research. After two days I found that sidebar.exe was using
> nearly 176Mb and svhost.exe was using 160Mb. What should I do or cantact
> about this?
>
> "Waldosr" wrote:
>
>> I recently noticed that with my computer sitting idle that after a couple
>> of
>> days it was using 53% of my ram(4 GB). When I reset my computer the RAM
>> usage went back to about 25% where it normally is. Has anyone else had
>> this
>> problem?

Re: Ram leak
Windows delay loads. This is so you don't have to wait an hour after
booting. There is no problem.
"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> Have you checked to see if when you have the higher Memory being used if
> you also have high paging file activity?
> If there is not a lot of paging file activity then your system still has a
> lot of unused memory.
> "Waldosr" <Waldosr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ok i did some research. After two days I found that sidebar.exe was
>> using
>> nearly 176Mb and svhost.exe was using 160Mb. What should I do or cantact
>> about this?
>>
>> "Waldosr" wrote:
>>
>>> I recently noticed that with my computer sitting idle that after a
>>> couple of
>>> days it was using 53% of my ram(4 GB). When I reset my computer the RAM
>>> usage went back to about 25% where it normally is. Has anyone else had
>>> this
>>> problem?

=?Utf-8?B?SW5zaWdodCBEcml2ZXI=?=

Re: Ram leak
Disk indexing is also a process that is suspended when the computer is being
used but will kick into high gear when the computer is sitting idle.

"." wrote:

> Windows delay loads. This is so you don't have to wait an hour after
> booting. There is no problem.
> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> > Have you checked to see if when you have the higher Memory being used if
> > you also have high paging file activity?
> > If there is not a lot of paging file activity then your system still has a
> > lot of unused memory.
> > "Waldosr" <Waldosr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Ok i did some research. After two days I found that sidebar.exe was
> >> using
> >> nearly 176Mb and svhost.exe was using 160Mb. What should I do or cantact
> >> about this?

=?Utf-8?B?V2FsZG9zcg==?=

Re: Ram leak
Yes but indexing isn't the sidebar which is using the most memory. Why would
it start using more and more memory the longer my computer is on other than
if there was a memory leak?

"Insight Driver" wrote:

> Disk indexing is also a process that is suspended when the computer is being
> used but will kick into high gear when the computer is sitting idle.
>
> "." wrote:
>
> > Windows delay loads. This is so you don't have to wait an hour after
> > booting. There is no problem.
> > "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> > > Have you checked to see if when you have the higher Memory being used if
> > > you also have high paging file activity?
> > > If there is not a lot of paging file activity then your system still has a
> > > lot of unused memory.

Re: Ram leak
Because it is a delay load operating system. It doesn't load things till the
first time someone uses it. This is so you can boot quickly.