Q re Turbo Memory quirkiness

a.k.a.

Q re Turbo Memory quirkiness
Hello everyone,

Here's another odd memory issue cropping up: In this laptop there's 1GB
Turbo Memory installed, but the NVCACHE partition that the OS created is
513MB. Can anyone explain what's going on?

Also, ReadyBoost returns to 'disabled' each time I check the box in the
driver interface. On the latter, does a USB drive need to be plugged in in
order for it to ever stay on a setting of 'enabled'? I've never read of that
being the case.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Incidentally, it would be helpful to know where the best Intel forums are on
the net. Any suggestions there?

a.k.a.
Quaoar

Re: Q re Turbo Memory quirkiness
a.k.a. wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Here's another odd memory issue cropping up: In this laptop there's 1GB
> Turbo Memory installed, but the NVCACHE partition that the OS created is
> 513MB. Can anyone explain what's going on?
>
> Also, ReadyBoost returns to 'disabled' each time I check the box in the
> driver interface. On the latter, does a USB drive need to be plugged in in
> order for it to ever stay on a setting of 'enabled'? I've never read of that
> being the case.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts on this?
>
> Incidentally, it would be helpful to know where the best Intel forums are on
> the net. Any suggestions there?
>
> a.k.a.

Your first question is unusual since "Turbo Memory" is outside my
excellent Windows Vista Experience galaxy.

Your second question: ReadyBoost works with qualified USB drives. If
you got it, you'll know it.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Q re Turbo Memory quirkiness
On some mobos and not others as I have found out by chance. I have a
Patriot 16GB stick that my current mobo just loves for ReadyBoost. The
previous mobo wouldn't even test it for ReadyBoost.

"Quaoar" <astro_quaoar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> a.k.a. wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Here's another odd memory issue cropping up: In this laptop there's 1GB
>> Turbo Memory installed, but the NVCACHE partition that the OS created is
>> 513MB. Can anyone explain what's going on?
>>
>> Also, ReadyBoost returns to 'disabled' each time I check the box in the
>> driver interface. On the latter, does a USB drive need to be plugged in
>> in order for it to ever stay on a setting of 'enabled'? I've never read
>> of that being the case.
>>
>> Does anyone have thoughts on this?
>>
>> Incidentally, it would be helpful to know where the best Intel forums are
>> on the net. Any suggestions there?
>>
>> a.k.a.

> Your first question is unusual since "Turbo Memory" is outside my
> excellent Windows Vista Experience galaxy.
>
> Your second question: ReadyBoost works with qualified USB drives. If you
> got it, you'll know it.

a.k.a.

Re: Q re Turbo Memory quirkiness

Thanks, gentlemen.

Any idea what forums I should take these Intel hardware-related questions to?

"Once the rockets are up,
Who cares where they come down.
That's not my department!"
Says Werner von Braun

a.k.a.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> On some mobos and not others as I have found out by chance. I have a
> Patriot 16GB stick that my current mobo just loves for ReadyBoost. The
> previous mobo wouldn't even test it for ReadyBoost.
>
> "Quaoar" <astro_quaoar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > a.k.a. wrote:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> Here's another odd memory issue cropping up: In this laptop there's 1GB
> >> Turbo Memory installed, but the NVCACHE partition that the OS created is
> >> 513MB. Can anyone explain what's going on?
> >>
> >> Also, ReadyBoost returns to 'disabled' each time I check the box in the
> >> driver interface. On the latter, does a USB drive need to be plugged in
> >> in order for it to ever stay on a setting of 'enabled'? I've never read
> >> of that being the case.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have thoughts on this?
> >>
> >> Incidentally, it would be helpful to know where the best Intel forums are
> >> on the net. Any suggestions there?
> >>
> >> a.k.a.

> > Your first question is unusual since "Turbo Memory" is outside my
> > excellent Windows Vista Experience galaxy.
> >
> > Your second question: ReadyBoost works with qualified USB drives. If you
> > got it, you'll know it.

Nvidia nForce Network Controller quirkiness on Vista Home Premium... Kontaminator microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 07-12-2008 02:08
Turbo Pizza 1.0 Gamer Games Feed 0 07-24-2007 00:32
Microsoft, Sony Clash Over Vista Turbo Memory Steve General Technology News 0 06-10-2007 16:36
No Intel Turbo Memory for Desktops Until Next Year Steve General Technology News 0 06-08-2007 03:47