Western Digital MyBook Hard Drive

happyheathen85@yahoo.com

Western Digital MyBook Hard Drive
My computer updated itself in the middle of the night, as it is set to update
daily at 3 am. I have been using a Western Digital MyBook external hard drive
for months, on Vista, which I installed on a computer I built myself. When I
woke up this morning to use some of the applications on the external HD, it
did not even show up. Sometime in the night Windows decided that the same HD
it had been using without incident for months should become an unknown USB
device whose drivers cannot be updated because it is just an unknown USB
device as opposed to a WD MyBook.

I hate Windows Vista. I regret installing it on a computer I put so much
effort into building and hunting out parts for. It's updates make it MORE
unwieldy and reduce it's ability to work with other devices. IF I can ever
get this hiccup worked out I am going to format my computer and install
Ubuntu. I will keep the Vista OS disc though-so that I can play Vista only
games on the MacBook I buy next in Parallels.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Western Digital MyBook Hard Drive
See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600 for the usb hotfix rollup.
This is to be part of SP1 when it releases in a few weeks. Review the list
of hotfixes to make sure this applies to your situation.

"happyheathen85@yahoo.com"
<happyheathen85@yahoo.com@discussions.microsoft.co m> wrote in message
> My computer updated itself in the middle of the night, as it is set to
> update
> daily at 3 am. I have been using a Western Digital MyBook external hard
> drive
> for months, on Vista, which I installed on a computer I built myself. When
> woke up this morning to use some of the applications on the external HD,
> it
> did not even show up. Sometime in the night Windows decided that the same
> HD
> it had been using without incident for months should become an unknown USB
> device whose drivers cannot be updated because it is just an unknown USB
> device as opposed to a WD MyBook.
>
> I hate Windows Vista. I regret installing it on a computer I put so much
> effort into building and hunting out parts for. It's updates make it MORE
> unwieldy and reduce it's ability to work with other devices. IF I can ever
> get this hiccup worked out I am going to format my computer and install
> Ubuntu. I will keep the Vista OS disc though-so that I can play Vista only
> games on the MacBook I buy next in Parallels.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices

Corrie

RE: Western Digital MyBook Hard Drive
I have the same problem, my WD MyBook worked perfectly until SP1 was
installed, now it gets recognised as unknown device, and reinstaling all the
drivers does not help.

system
Asus P5B premium
Core2 Quad Q6600
Vista Ultimate 64 bit
1.9 TB storage
Asus 8800 GTX

"happyheathen85@yahoo.com" wrote:

> My computer updated itself in the middle of the night, as it is set to update
> daily at 3 am. I have been using a Western Digital MyBook external hard drive
> for months, on Vista, which I installed on a computer I built myself. When I
> woke up this morning to use some of the applications on the external HD, it
> did not even show up. Sometime in the night Windows decided that the same HD
> it had been using without incident for months should become an unknown USB
> device whose drivers cannot be updated because it is just an unknown USB
> device as opposed to a WD MyBook.
>
> I hate Windows Vista. I regret installing it on a computer I put so much
> effort into building and hunting out parts for. It's updates make it MORE
> unwieldy and reduce it's ability to work with other devices. IF I can ever
> get this hiccup worked out I am going to format my computer and install
> Ubuntu. I will keep the Vista OS disc though-so that I can play Vista only
> games on the MacBook I buy next in Parallels.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices

DevilsPGD

Re: Western Digital MyBook Hard Drive
In message <F5D18194-CDB9-49A6-ABF2-CBA9209C2819@microsoft.com> Corrie
<Corrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the same problem, my WD MyBook worked perfectly until SP1 was
>installed, now it gets recognised as unknown device, and reinstaling all the
>drivers does not help.
>
>system
>Asus P5B premium
>Core2 Quad Q6600
>Vista Ultimate 64 bit
>1.9 TB storage
>Asus 8800 GTX

I'm not sure if this is fixed in SP1 or not, but have you tried the
"delete infcache.1" fix?

If you're not familiar with it, step by step directions:

http://www.thedave.ca/wordpress/inde...tion-problems/
HelplessLuv

RE: Western Digital MyBook Hard Drive
Ok, so now, today it is 27 July 2008, my computer got "updated" by Mcrosoft
overnight, and NOW, I do not have access to my 500GB Western Digital external
drive, and "wonderful" (sarcastic) Vista blames it on that it cannot find nor
download the driver, ... well ...HELLO, it was working fine before the
update. I am EXTEMELY upset over not being able to access my data, and more
upset at the prospect of losing irreplacable data.

I'm gonna try deleting that inf file and following then link to the alledged
"hotfix" but I am so AFRAID to do anything suggested by MS. I'm just about
ready to throw my machine out the window.