Which disk image creation software is good for Vista?

Jack

Which disk image creation software is good for Vista?
Hello,
In previous years I used Ghost to create the image of my harddrive.
It was simple, easy procedure and very fast.
I booted up computer to the command prompt and restored harddrive in few
minutes!!!
But it was FAT32 system.
Now, with Vista I do not have a choice but to use NTSF file system.
Which program offers the most features for disk image creation?
I know it will be impossible for me to restore image from command boot
option, but what the options I have?
Can I for example take the harddrive to another computer and restore the
image in there?
Or create bootable CD (DVD?) and restore the image that way?
Or I have to first install Windows and then restore?
What are the options?
Your experience is welcomed,
Jack

Malke

Re: Which disk image creation software is good for Vista?
Jack wrote:
> Hello,
> In previous years I used Ghost to create the image of my harddrive.
> It was simple, easy procedure and very fast.
> I booted up computer to the command prompt and restored harddrive in few
> minutes!!!
> But it was FAT32 system.
> Now, with Vista I do not have a choice but to use NTSF file system.
> Which program offers the most features for disk image creation?
> I know it will be impossible for me to restore image from command boot
> option, but what the options I have?
> Can I for example take the harddrive to another computer and restore the
> image in there?
> Or create bootable CD (DVD?) and restore the image that way?
> Or I have to first install Windows and then restore?
> What are the options?
> Your experience is welcomed,
> Jack

I highly recommend Acronis True Image.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
dgmacmi

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> In previous years I used Ghost to create the image of my harddrive.
> It was simple, easy procedure and very fast.
> I booted up computer to the command prompt and restored harddrive in few
> minutes!!!
> But it was FAT32 system.
> Now, with Vista I do not have a choice but to use NTSF file system.
> Which program offers the most features for disk image creation?
> I know it will be impossible for me to restore image from command boot
> option, but what the options I have?
> Can I for example take the harddrive to another computer and restore the
> image in there?
> Or create bootable CD (DVD?) and restore the image that way?
> Or I have to first install Windows and then restore?
> What are the options?
> Your experience is welcomed,
> Jack

Ghost has been compatible with NTFS file system for a number of versions.
Ghost Version 12 is Vista compatible.
The Ghost installation CD has been bootable for a number of versions. You
may need to reset your BIOS to boot from CD. If you have more than one
DVD/CD drive only one will be boot capable {in a tower system it is usually
the top drive}.

I recently changed to Acronis True Image for a new computer. So far I like
it; but have not needed to use it to restore. I did a number of restores
with Ghost versions 10 thru 12. For non-Windows drive or a drive with Ghost
installed, I could restore from within Windows.

Don

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Which disk image creation software is good for Vista?
I also VERY highly recommend Acronis True Image, as much as it grieves me to
agree with Malke on something.

> Jack wrote:
>> Hello,
>> In previous years I used Ghost to create the image of my harddrive.
>> It was simple, easy procedure and very fast.
>> I booted up computer to the command prompt and restored harddrive in few
>> minutes!!!
>> But it was FAT32 system.
>> Now, with Vista I do not have a choice but to use NTSF file system.
>> Which program offers the most features for disk image creation?
>> I know it will be impossible for me to restore image from command boot
>> option, but what the options I have?
>> Can I for example take the harddrive to another computer and restore the
>> image in there?
>> Or create bootable CD (DVD?) and restore the image that way?
>> Or I have to first install Windows and then restore?
>> What are the options?
>> Your experience is welcomed,
>> Jack

> I highly recommend Acronis True Image.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

philo

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
news683C85B-1185-4605-B079-1EB2C77E70B3@microsoft.com...
> I also VERY highly recommend Acronis True Image, as much as it grieves me

> agree with Malke on something.

I also use Acronis...
it works very well

AlexB

Re: Which disk image creation software is good for Vista?
I recently downloaded and installed WinImage Pro for 60 bucks. Haven't had a
chance to really figure out how the little devil works.

How does it measure up with Acronis.?

Before I downloaded it I frantically searched the web for comparative
information and was quite confused.

Thanks.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
news683C85B-1185-4605-B079-
>> I highly recommend Acronis True Image.
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Iain

Jack wrote:
> Hello,
> In previous years I used Ghost to create the image of my harddrive.
> It was simple, easy procedure and very fast.
> I booted up computer to the command prompt and restored harddrive in few
> minutes!!!
> But it was FAT32 system.
> Now, with Vista I do not have a choice but to use NTSF file system.
> Which program offers the most features for disk image creation?
> I know it will be impossible for me to restore image from command boot
> option, but what the options I have?
> Can I for example take the harddrive to another computer and restore the
> image in there?
> Or create bootable CD (DVD?) and restore the image that way?
> Or I have to first install Windows and then restore?
> What are the options?
> Your experience is welcomed,
> Jack

Which version of Vista do you have?

If that version is > Home Premium, I highly recommend native "Complete
PC Backup and Restore". Excellent programme.
Dave T.

Iain wrote:
> Jack wrote:
>> Hello,
>> In previous years I used Ghost to create the image of my harddrive.
>> It was simple, easy procedure and very fast.
>> I booted up computer to the command prompt and restored harddrive in
>> few minutes!!!
>> But it was FAT32 system.
>> Now, with Vista I do not have a choice but to use NTSF file system.
>> Which program offers the most features for disk image creation?
>> I know it will be impossible for me to restore image from command boot
>> option, but what the options I have?
>> Can I for example take the harddrive to another computer and restore
>> the image in there?
>> Or create bootable CD (DVD?) and restore the image that way?
>> Or I have to first install Windows and then restore?
>> What are the options?
>> Your experience is welcomed,
>> Jack
>>

> Which version of Vista do you have?
>
> If that version is > Home Premium, I highly recommend native "Complete
> PC Backup and Restore". Excellent programme.

Business, Ultimate and Enterprise only, correct? Not Home Premium.

--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
Michael Jennings

Re: Which disk image creation software is good for Vista?
Like Acronis and Ghost, BootItNG will make and restore images.
It restores from its boot GUI and handles image CDs and DVDs.
Priced at $35: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BootItNG

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> In previous years I used Ghost to create the image of my harddrive.
> It was simple, easy procedure and very fast.
> I booted up computer to the command prompt and restored harddrive in few
> minutes!!!
> But it was FAT32 system.
> Now, with Vista I do not have a choice but to use NTSF file system.
> Which program offers the most features for disk image creation?
> I know it will be impossible for me to restore image from command boot option,
> but what the options I have?
> Can I for example take the harddrive to another computer and restore the image
> in there?
> Or create bootable CD (DVD?) and restore the image that way?
> Or I have to first install Windows and then restore?
> What are the options?
> Your experience is welcomed,
> Jack

Iain

Dave T. wrote:
> Iain wrote:
>> Jack wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> In previous years I used Ghost to create the image of my harddrive.
>>> It was simple, easy procedure and very fast.
>>> I booted up computer to the command prompt and restored harddrive in
>>> few minutes!!!
>>> But it was FAT32 system.
>>> Now, with Vista I do not have a choice but to use NTSF file system.
>>> Which program offers the most features for disk image creation?
>>> I know it will be impossible for me to restore image from command
>>> boot option, but what the options I have?
>>> Can I for example take the harddrive to another computer and restore
>>> the image in there?
>>> Or create bootable CD (DVD?) and restore the image that way?
>>> Or I have to first install Windows and then restore?
>>> What are the options?
>>> Your experience is welcomed,
>>> Jack
>>>

>> Which version of Vista do you have?
>>
>> If that version is > Home Premium, I highly recommend native "Complete
>> PC Backup and Restore". Excellent programme.

> Business, Ultimate and Enterprise only, correct? Not Home Premium.

Correct.