Canon 400 D & vista ultimate 64 bit

Corrie

Canon 400 D & vista ultimate 64 bit
under device manager the camera is detected as a portable device (Canon EOS
400D DIGITAL) as a result my EOS utility software from canon does not detect
the camera. the camera is listed under Imaging devices on windows XP, and the
EOS utility is working correctly. Im using the standard Generic driver
provided by microsoft, is there a way to change the display name from
portable device to Imaging device?
KevinP

RE: Canon 400 D & vista ultimate 64 bit
I am having a similar problem with Canon EOS Utility 2.2, Windows Vista
Ultimate 32-bit, and Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D). I installed all the Canon
software from a ver. 13.1 EOS Digital Solution Disk, then downloaded and
installed the latest Vista updates from the Canon web site. I plugged in the
camera, Windows recognized it and installed the driver (same location
described below). The autorun opens with choices, I select to use the Canon
EOS Utility, it opens, then just disappears.

Has anyone connected a Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D) to Windows Vista (32-bit)
and actually gotten the Canon EOS utility (2.2) to download photos from the
camera?

Thanks.

"Corrie" wrote:

> under device manager the camera is detected as a portable device (Canon EOS
> 400D DIGITAL) as a result my EOS utility software from canon does not detect
> the camera. the camera is listed under Imaging devices on windows XP, and the
> EOS utility is working correctly. Im using the standard Generic driver
> provided by microsoft, is there a way to change the display name from
> portable device to Imaging device?

KevinP

RE: Canon 400 D & vista ultimate 64 bit
Update to my earlier post.....

I spoke to guy at Canon tech support. I had my camera plugged into a USB
hub. He had me unplug the hub and unplug a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
webcam. Both the hub and the QuickCam were plugged into USB ports on the
back of the PC. He said the Rebel XTi needed to be plugged into a USB port
on the back of the PC. The EOS Utility software worked fine and the Rebel
XTi was still listed in the Portable Devices section of Device Manager.

I did some further testing and found:

1. With the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 unplugged from the PC, the Rebel XTi
and EOS Utility 2.2 worked like a champ when plugged into a USB port on the
back of the PC and a USB port on the front of the PC and even plugged into
the same USB hub that did not work earlier.

2. Plug in the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 into any USB port (on PC or USB
hub) and the Canon EOS Utility will not communicate with the Rebel XTi. This
includes even going into Device Manager and selecting to Disable the Logitech
QuickCam Pro 9000. In short, if the LogiTech is connected to the PC at the
same time as the Rebel XTi, then the Canon EOS Utility is not going to work.

My current solution is to plug my Rebel XTi USB cable into the USB hub and
plug the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 into the USB hub (easier for me to
reach). Use the QuickCam as usual (IM, Skype, etc.). When I need to
download photos from the Rebel XTi, I will just unplug the QuickCam before I
connect the Rebel XTi to its cable that remains plugged into the hub.

Hope this helps someone.

"KevinP" wrote:

> I am having a similar problem with Canon EOS Utility 2.2, Windows Vista
> Ultimate 32-bit, and Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D). I installed all the Canon
> software from a ver. 13.1 EOS Digital Solution Disk, then downloaded and
> installed the latest Vista updates from the Canon web site. I plugged in the
> camera, Windows recognized it and installed the driver (same location
> described below). The autorun opens with choices, I select to use the Canon
> EOS Utility, it opens, then just disappears.
>
> Has anyone connected a Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D) to Windows Vista (32-bit)
> and actually gotten the Canon EOS utility (2.2) to download photos from the
> camera?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Corrie" wrote:
>
> > under device manager the camera is detected as a portable device (Canon EOS
> > 400D DIGITAL) as a result my EOS utility software from canon does not detect
> > the camera. the camera is listed under Imaging devices on windows XP, and the
> > EOS utility is working correctly. Im using the standard Generic driver
> > provided by microsoft, is there a way to change the display name from
> > portable device to Imaging device?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Canon 400 D & vista ultimate 64 bit
That would generally indicate a PSU insufficient to power up all the USB
ports and devices at once.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows