Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Graphics Card

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
Dwayne
 

Posts: n/a
Graphics Card
Where do I find the graphics/video card in the PC & are they different
things? Also, what is: Video RAM: 128MB (256MB or above for
Premium/Ultimate)??
--
D-Wayn!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
davehc
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Graphics Card

It may be a card inserted into your motherboard. You can locate that by
seeing where your monitor plug enters the computer. It could also be
built in to the mothetboard.
The video RAM is the memory the card manufacturer has made available
for the graphics. In This may be shared from your main computer Ram, in
the cheaper models, either onboard or a separate card. It is common,
these days, particularly for Vista users, to find cards with 512mbs or
even more, unshared.
Graphics/video is pretty much the same thing.


--
davehc
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
Autumnale
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Graphics Card
It sounds like you're trying to figure out if your computer can run Vista or
not maybe? There is a program called the Vista upgrade advisor that will
automatically scan your computer and see if you can upgrade to Vista or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

If you're actually trying to find the video card on your computer, like the
other person said, it'll be the thing connected to your monitor cable.
Unless your using your motherboard's built in onboard video, which isn't
likely because almost all computers will have a video card.

The video ram is just the amount of memory the video card has on it.

If you don't want to run the Vista upgrade advisor, you can find how much
video ram your video card has in the control panel of XP. Just do a search
for "device manager" and under the video card section you should have the
information about your video card. That's from memory so I might be wrong.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
Mike Hall - MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Graphics Card
"Dwayne" <Dwayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FD6E2F2E-3E2C-43A6-911C-DAD1985A9D82@microsoft.com...
> Where do I find the graphics/video card in the PC & are they different
> things? Also, what is: Video RAM: 128MB (256MB or above for
> Premium/Ultimate)??
> --
> D-Wayn!



You would do best to check out the computer/motherboard manufacturer for
specifications. You most likely have integrated graphics which in itself
can't be upgraded.

It is possible to fit a 3rd party graphics card, BUT not all motherboards
have an AGP or PCI-e slot, especially budget computers. You need to check
with the manufacturer..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx




Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
Dwayne
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Graphics Card
Thanks for the info all. For the record though, I am running Vista
(Ultimate) but some of the features are not available (flip & flip 3D), & as
a consequence, live thumbnails & DreamScene. Based on my reading I assume
thats because my Vid Card aint up to scratch. I got a base score of (dont
laugh) 1.0 because of the Video Card. (I had my machine built & it cost me
about US$800). Got it Nov 06, upgraded to Vista Jan 07 as soon as was
released.
Thanks anyhow, I'll sort it out, somehow.
--
D-Wayn!


"Autumnale" wrote:

> It sounds like you're trying to figure out if your computer can run Vista or
> not maybe? There is a program called the Vista upgrade advisor that will
> automatically scan your computer and see if you can upgrade to Vista or not.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
>
> If you're actually trying to find the video card on your computer, like the
> other person said, it'll be the thing connected to your monitor cable.
> Unless your using your motherboard's built in onboard video, which isn't
> likely because almost all computers will have a video card.
>
> The video ram is just the amount of memory the video card has on it.
>
> If you don't want to run the Vista upgrade advisor, you can find how much
> video ram your video card has in the control panel of XP. Just do a search
> for "device manager" and under the video card section you should have the
> information about your video card. That's from memory so I might be wrong.
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
JW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Graphics Card
Answers to the following should narrow down why you do not have Aero:

What make and model of video card do you have? how much memory does it
have? You need 128MB on it
What driver release are you using for the video card?
How much main memory do you have? You should have 1 GB.
Is your system BIOS up to date.
"Dwayne" <Dwayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:176E77A2-D837-4D35-BCC2-87A3762538B4@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the info all. For the record though, I am running Vista
> (Ultimate) but some of the features are not available (flip & flip 3D), &
> as
> a consequence, live thumbnails & DreamScene. Based on my reading I assume
> thats because my Vid Card aint up to scratch. I got a base score of (dont
> laugh) 1.0 because of the Video Card. (I had my machine built & it cost me
> about US$800). Got it Nov 06, upgraded to Vista Jan 07 as soon as was
> released.
> Thanks anyhow, I'll sort it out, somehow.
> --
> D-Wayn!
>
>
> "Autumnale" wrote:
>
>> It sounds like you're trying to figure out if your computer can run Vista
>> or
>> not maybe? There is a program called the Vista upgrade advisor that will
>> automatically scan your computer and see if you can upgrade to Vista or
>> not.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
>>
>> If you're actually trying to find the video card on your computer, like
>> the
>> other person said, it'll be the thing connected to your monitor cable.
>> Unless your using your motherboard's built in onboard video, which isn't
>> likely because almost all computers will have a video card.
>>
>> The video ram is just the amount of memory the video card has on it.
>>
>> If you don't want to run the Vista upgrade advisor, you can find how much
>> video ram your video card has in the control panel of XP. Just do a
>> search
>> for "device manager" and under the video card section you should have the
>> information about your video card. That's from memory so I might be
>> wrong.
>>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2008
John Barnett MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Graphics Card
Looking at the statistics provided by the Windows Experience Index will show
you the weakest link in your system. You say you currently have a WEI of
1.0; does the 1.0 reference to the video card? If so change the video card
for one with more memory (128MB is adequate)

My system is around 3 weeks old:

Intel Core2 duo E4500 (2.20Ghz)
2GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce 8300GS with 128MB memory
250GB SATA drive

All this gives me a WEI of 3.4 (the 3.4 relates to the video card, so if I
upgraded to another video card with more memory the WEI would more than
likely increase.) But these are all 'just numbers' who cares what the WEI
is, I certainly don't, so long as it runs the software and operating system
as I want it to, I couldn't care less if my WEI was 0. WEI is simply another
'gimmick'.

Incidentally I'm running Vista Ultimate and everything runs just fine on
this machine.

--
--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
mail/post..

"Dwayne" <Dwayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:176E77A2-D837-4D35-BCC2-87A3762538B4@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the info all. For the record though, I am running Vista
> (Ultimate) but some of the features are not available (flip & flip 3D), &
> as
> a consequence, live thumbnails & DreamScene. Based on my reading I assume
> thats because my Vid Card aint up to scratch. I got a base score of (dont
> laugh) 1.0 because of the Video Card. (I had my machine built & it cost me
> about US$800). Got it Nov 06, upgraded to Vista Jan 07 as soon as was
> released.
> Thanks anyhow, I'll sort it out, somehow.
> --
> D-Wayn!
>
>
> "Autumnale" wrote:
>
>> It sounds like you're trying to figure out if your computer can run Vista
>> or
>> not maybe? There is a program called the Vista upgrade advisor that will
>> automatically scan your computer and see if you can upgrade to Vista or
>> not.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
>>
>> If you're actually trying to find the video card on your computer, like
>> the
>> other person said, it'll be the thing connected to your monitor cable.
>> Unless your using your motherboard's built in onboard video, which isn't
>> likely because almost all computers will have a video card.
>>
>> The video ram is just the amount of memory the video card has on it.
>>
>> If you don't want to run the Vista upgrade advisor, you can find how much
>> video ram your video card has in the control panel of XP. Just do a
>> search
>> for "device manager" and under the video card section you should have the
>> information about your video card. That's from memory so I might be
>> wrong.
>>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2008
Autumnale
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Graphics Card
Did that $800 including a LCD monitor? If not, then I'd say that you were
probably ripped off.

You don't happen to know your computer's specifications do you?

If you have a relatively modern motherboard, you can just get a new video
card to replace the crappy one the person who built your computer put in the
computer.

I mean it depends on what you need Vista to do. You can get a cheap video
card on ebay for $50 or you can get the nVidia E-VGA 8800GT for $250 and
that'll run every single game that's on the market very well. You should
wait until after February when the nVidia releases the 9 series of video
cards so the 8 series cards' prices will drop I hope. You'll want to make
sure that your motherboard can actually use the 8800GT though. You'll need a
PCI express X16 port with at least PCI express version 1.1 support because
the 8800GT isn't really compatible with PCI express version 1.0. Or so I've
heard.

Aero doesn't really take a lot to run. I've turned Aero off before and I
find that it doesn't really add to subtract from the overall aesthetics of
Vista. It's really the whole graphics experiences that's pretty good. It
doesn't really matter if you can see through the windows like it's glass.
Although it's kind of neat.

By the way, if you get a cheap video card, make sure that it's at least like
the 7 series of nVidia or something. I forget just what shader model you'll
need for Vista Aero. I can't imagine it's very high. They're up to shader
model 4.1 now so the higher shader model the better.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2008
skunksmash
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Graphics Card

yep 7 series or above (hopefully above) if your still not sure what GPU
(graphics card) you are using download this ......'techPowerUp! ::
Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.1.5'
(http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...-Z_v0.1.5.html)

even if you are using onboard graphics it should still give you its
specs
from there you can see what size ram and core clocks.....

just to clarify the 8800GT is compatible with 1.0 and 1.1 NOT 1.0a

hope this helped



--
skunksmash
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 936710 When a DirectX 10 application runs on a Windows Vista-based computer that has multiple graphics cards, the computer does not use the secondary graphics card KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
What Graphics card Craig008 microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 13 09-22-2007 14:33
Graphics card Redafera microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 5 08-26-2007 17:18
Graphics Card t microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 04-04-2007 03:46
Minimum graphics card to get graphics WEIs of 3.0? 5.9? Alan Cobb microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 6 03-06-2007 13:58




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:32.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120