Ghost/non-existing disc drive appeared after installing hard driv

Gilboy7

Ghost/non-existing disc drive appeared after installing hard driv
Hi, I need help with removing a non-existing disc drive which calls itself
E:. After installing a new external hard drive, ( i noticed my old external
drive was acting up), my computer shows an additional disc drive E: which is
completely in-accessible as it does not exist. Many of my short cuts point to
E:, which was the drive letter of my original external hard drive. Now my
computer calls that drive G: and my newly installed external drive F:. My
original E: drive is still working but any program residing there will not
function as all shortcuts were created when it was E:. I need to remove the
'ghost drive E:' and rename my external. When I go to disc management the
ghost drive does not show up , but the drive letter E: is not available to
use.
Please Help!!
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Ghost/non-existing disc drive appeared after installing hard driv
Remove the references to E: first and reboot. Then see if you still have an
E: referenced in DM and can remove it.

"Gilboy7" <Gilboy7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I need help with removing a non-existing disc drive which calls itself
> E:. After installing a new external hard drive, ( i noticed my old
> external
> drive was acting up), my computer shows an additional disc drive E: which
> is
> completely in-accessible as it does not exist. Many of my short cuts point
> E:, which was the drive letter of my original external hard drive. Now my
> computer calls that drive G: and my newly installed external drive F:. My
> original E: drive is still working but any program residing there will
> not
> function as all shortcuts were created when it was E:. I need to remove
> the
> 'ghost drive E:' and rename my external. When I go to disc management the
> ghost drive does not show up , but the drive letter E: is not available to
> use.
> Please Help!!

Uwe Sieber

Gilboy7 wrote:
> Hi, I need help with removing a non-existing disc drive which calls itself
> E:. After installing a new external hard drive, ( i noticed my old external
> drive was acting up), my computer shows an additional disc drive E: which is
> completely in-accessible as it does not exist. Many of my short cuts point to
> E:, which was the drive letter of my original external hard drive. Now my
> computer calls that drive G: and my newly installed external drive F:. My
> original E: drive is still working but any program residing there will not
> function as all shortcuts were created when it was E:. I need to remove the
> 'ghost drive E:' and rename my external. When I go to disc management the
> ghost drive does not show up , but the drive letter E: is not available to
> use.
> Please Help!!

Start -> Run
enter MOUNTVOL E: /D here

Now E: is gone any you can change F: to E: in the
disk management.

Uwe
Gilboy7

Re: Ghost/non-existing disc drive appeared after installing hard
Thanks so much! That fixed my problem!