Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.

Stardust0124

Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.
Hello !

Curently im using Win XP Pro, and i have a Western Digital Raptor HDD 36 GB
just for Windows and other applications. I want to switch to Win Vista Home
Premium soon, but i read somewhere about the requierments and it said right
there that Vista needs a 40 GB HDD with 10-15 GB free.

So my questions is : Can i install Vista on that 36 gb or not ? ~ im not
quite sure, thats why i'm asking.

Thanks in advance !

~~ Paul
David B.

Re: Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.
That is only a recommendation, it will install just fine.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx
states the the minimum supported requirements are a 20GB drive with 15GB
free.

--

----

"Stardust0124" <Stardust0124@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello !
>
> Curently im using Win XP Pro, and i have a Western Digital Raptor HDD 36
> GB
> just for Windows and other applications. I want to switch to Win Vista
> Premium soon, but i read somewhere about the requierments and it said
> right
> there that Vista needs a 40 GB HDD with 10-15 GB free.
>
> So my questions is : Can i install Vista on that 36 gb or not ? ~ im not
> quite sure, thats why i'm asking.
>
> Thanks in advance !
>
> ~~ Paul

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.
While it will install and run I cannot recommend it. Within days of
installation you will see why. Especially once you have added applications.
Over time (a year or so) the side-by-side folder (dll cache) by itself is
growing to as much as 10GB for some users. That's just one example of how
much bigger on a hard disk than any previous version of Windows that Vista
is. I do not have many apps but within days of setting up my newest system
(a week ago) when I did my first Acronis image it came to 57GB (using
default compression). Vista's disk usage is orders of magnitute greater
than XP's ever was.

"Stardust0124" <Stardust0124@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello !
>
> Curently im using Win XP Pro, and i have a Western Digital Raptor HDD 36
> GB
> just for Windows and other applications. I want to switch to Win Vista
> Premium soon, but i read somewhere about the requierments and it said
> right
> there that Vista needs a 40 GB HDD with 10-15 GB free.
>
> So my questions is : Can i install Vista on that 36 gb or not ? ~ im not
> quite sure, thats why i'm asking.
>
> Thanks in advance !
>
> ~~ Paul

MegaDETH

Re: Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.

The 32gb is the only drive on your system?

If you have another drive you can install programs and your swap file
on another drive.

I have a 40gb C: partition and it only holds installed applications and
Vista, everything else is on a different drive (Temp files, swap,
picture, music, etc)

--
MegaDETH

Core 2 Duo E6600 (L629F) @ 3.690GHz
ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI
4X2GB A-DATA PC2 6400
eVGA E-GEFORCE 8800 GT 512MB Superclocked
22\\" Hanns.G HDMI LCD
LG GGC-H20LI
BenQ 1655
LiteOn DH20A3P
Samsung 203N
LG GSA-H42N
LG GSA-H22N
JW

Re: Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.
My Vista installation only uses 33GB and I have lots of applications on it.
The 15GB extra recommended at install time is only used for temporary file
space during the install itself and is all available for user applications
etc after the installation.
"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> While it will install and run I cannot recommend it. Within days of
> installation you will see why. Especially once you have added
> applications. Over time (a year or so) the side-by-side folder (dll cache)
> by itself is growing to as much as 10GB for some users. That's just one
> example of how much bigger on a hard disk than any previous version of
> Windows that Vista is. I do not have many apps but within days of setting
> up my newest system (a week ago) when I did my first Acronis image it came
> to 57GB (using default compression). Vista's disk usage is orders of
> magnitute greater than XP's ever was.
>
> "Stardust0124" <Stardust0124@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello !
>>
>> Curently im using Win XP Pro, and i have a Western Digital Raptor HDD 36
>> GB
>> just for Windows and other applications. I want to switch to Win Vista
>> Premium soon, but i read somewhere about the requierments and it said
>> right
>> there that Vista needs a 40 GB HDD with 10-15 GB free.
>>
>> So my questions is : Can i install Vista on that 36 gb or not ? ~ im not
>> quite sure, thats why i'm asking.
>>
>> Thanks in advance !
>>
>> ~~ Paul

Mike Hall - MVP

"JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
> My Vista installation only uses 33GB and I have lots of applications on
> it.
> The 15GB extra recommended at install time is only used for temporary file
> space during the install itself and is all available for user applications
> etc after the installation.

For best HDD performance , you need to look at keeping as close to 25% free
as you can. You should also make provision for the installation of other
applications, service packs, updates, space for shadow copies, restore
points etc.

Anything smaller than 40gb will leave you trying to free up space
continually in a bid to keep performance at a reasonable level. A 60gb
partition will give more freedom and reduce time spent deleting stuff. An
80gb partition will ensure that you don't have to worry about space for a
while.

Ensuring that the OS partition is large enough now will save buying Acronis
TrueImage or similar and running the gauntlet of cloning the OS to a larger
drive at some point in the not so distant future..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

BigJim

Re: Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.
If you really need or want vista install it. If you can live without it you
would be better off.

"Stardust0124" <Stardust0124@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello !
>
> Curently im using Win XP Pro, and i have a Western Digital Raptor HDD 36
> GB
> just for Windows and other applications. I want to switch to Win Vista
> Premium soon, but i read somewhere about the requierments and it said
> right
> there that Vista needs a 40 GB HDD with 10-15 GB free.
>
> So my questions is : Can i install Vista on that 36 gb or not ? ~ im not
> quite sure, thats why i'm asking.
>
> Thanks in advance !
>
> ~~ Paul

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.
I think a pair of 76GB Raptors is the answer, but OH BOY the sticker shock.

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
>> My Vista installation only uses 33GB and I have lots of applications on
>> it.
>> The 15GB extra recommended at install time is only used for temporary
>> file space during the install itself and is all available for user
>> applications etc after the installation.
>>>>>

> For best HDD performance , you need to look at keeping as close to 25%
> free as you can. You should also make provision for the installation of
> other applications, service packs, updates, space for shadow copies,
> restore points etc.
>
> Anything smaller than 40gb will leave you trying to free up space
> continually in a bid to keep performance at a reasonable level. A 60gb
> partition will give more freedom and reduce time spent deleting stuff. An
> 80gb partition will ensure that you don't have to worry about space for a
> while.
>
> Ensuring that the OS partition is large enough now will save buying
> Acronis TrueImage or similar and running the gauntlet of cloning the OS to
> a larger drive at some point in the not so distant future..
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP

JW

Re: Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.
Since there are reports of users with combo tuners recording 2 NTSC and 2
ATSC programs concurrently while playing back a 5th previously recorded
program disk transfer rate is not an issue. I agree with Mike that a 60GB
partition is a good Vista partition size since that is what I actually have
but as I stated before only 33GB of it is in use even with MC TV and several
applications running concurrently.
>I think a pair of 76GB Raptors is the answer, but OH BOY the sticker shock.
>
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
>> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
>>> My Vista installation only uses 33GB and I have lots of applications on
>>> it.
>>> The 15GB extra recommended at install time is only used for temporary
>>> file space during the install itself and is all available for user
>>> applications etc after the installation.
>>>>>>

>> For best HDD performance , you need to look at keeping as close to 25%
>> free as you can. You should also make provision for the installation of
>> other applications, service packs, updates, space for shadow copies,
>> restore points etc.
>>
>> Anything smaller than 40gb will leave you trying to free up space
>> continually in a bid to keep performance at a reasonable level. A 60gb
>> partition will give more freedom and reduce time spent deleting stuff. An
>> 80gb partition will ensure that you don't have to worry about space for a
>> while.
>>
>> Ensuring that the OS partition is large enough now will save buying
>> Acronis TrueImage or similar and running the gauntlet of cloning the OS
>> to a larger drive at some point in the not so distant future..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Running Vista on a 36 GB Hdd.
"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I think a pair of 76GB Raptors is the answer, but OH BOY the sticker shock.
>
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
>> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
>>> My Vista installation only uses 33GB and I have lots of applications on
>>> it.
>>> The 15GB extra recommended at install time is only used for temporary
>>> file space during the install itself and is all available for user
>>> applications etc after the installation.
>>>>>>

>> For best HDD performance , you need to look at keeping as close to 25%
>> free as you can. You should also make provision for the installation of
>> other applications, service packs, updates, space for shadow copies,
>> restore points etc.
>>
>> Anything smaller than 40gb will leave you trying to free up space
>> continually in a bid to keep performance at a reasonable level. A 60gb
>> partition will give more freedom and reduce time spent deleting stuff. An
>> 80gb partition will ensure that you don't have to worry about space for a
>> while.
>>
>> Ensuring that the OS partition is large enough now will save buying
>> Acronis TrueImage or similar and running the gauntlet of cloning the OS
>> to a larger drive at some point in the not so distant future..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx

LOL.. I use a 160gb WD SATAII, 80gb for the OS and apps, and two 40gb
partitions for data and installation media. I looked at Raptors, but the
price jumped out and bit me..

--
Mike Hall - MVP