Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please

Walter Cohen

Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please
I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939 mobo.
I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the system up
using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.

Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this might
even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.

Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
"IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

My bios is an AWARD bios. The *only* PCI card I have in my system is a
Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX V5.1) which I plug my cable
modem into to dish out my wireless signal to my other home desktops.

Any help is appreciated on understanding what this error is telling me and
how I might successfully address it.
*Also, if you think I should post this in a more appropriate newsgroup
please let me know

Thanks!
Walter

canixs

Re: Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please
This ACPI error is a known issue to MS and had article about, I don't
remember where, but it's safely ignore.

"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939
>mobo. I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the
>system up using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.
>
> Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
> events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this
> might even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.
>
> Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
> "IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
> function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."
>
> My bios is an AWARD bios. The *only* PCI card I have in my system is a
> Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX V5.1) which I plug my cable
> modem into to dish out my wireless signal to my other home desktops.
>
> Any help is appreciated on understanding what this error is telling me and
> how I might successfully address it.
> *Also, if you think I should post this in a more appropriate newsgroup
> please let me know
>
> Thanks!
> Walter

Walter Cohen

Re: Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please
Note: my comment about the *only* PCI card is incorrect. I also have a
PCI-Express Nvidia GeForce 7600GS graphics card.

Walter
"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939
>mobo. I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the
>system up using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.
>
> Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
> events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this
> might even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.
>
> Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
> "IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
> function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."
>
> My bios is an AWARD bios. The *only* PCI card I have in my system is a
> Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX V5.1) which I plug my cable
> modem into to dish out my wireless signal to my other home desktops.
>
> Any help is appreciated on understanding what this error is telling me and
> how I might successfully address it.
> *Also, if you think I should post this in a more appropriate newsgroup
> please let me know
>
> Thanks!
> Walter

David Moisan

Re: Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please

"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939
>mobo. I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the
>system up using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.
>
> Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
> events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this
> might even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.
>
> Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
> "IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
> function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

Actually, MS does have a KB on this, no thanks to their search:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...rss&spid=11707

If there are no errors (yellow exclaimation points) in Device Manager, then
this can be ignored. I would check with Biostar for a BIOS update as that
is the most likely cause for sleep/suspend problems.

Take care,

Dave

BobS

Re: Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please
Walter,

I am not familiar with that particular motherboard and the BIOS settings
required for your setup. But you will find settings you can make that
assign IRQ's either manually or Automatically in the BIOS. If you ever made
any changes to these then you would know where to look - otherwise get out
the mb manual. Also may want to make sure you have the most recent BIOS
updates and try those. Be sure to follow the manf recommended procedures
for updating the BIOS.

Unless you have a specific need or the mb manf say's you need a setting
other than the defaults, I would set the default settings for the PCI
slots - or even just set all defaults for the MB.

Without doing a lot of research on this mb, I'm afraid I can't offer much
more help.

Bob S.

> Note: my comment about the *only* PCI card is incorrect. I also have a
> PCI-Express Nvidia GeForce 7600GS graphics card.
>
> Walter
> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939
>>mobo. I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the
>>system up using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.
>>
>> Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
>> events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this
>> might even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.
>>
>> Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
>> "IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
>> function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."
>>
>> My bios is an AWARD bios. The *only* PCI card I have in my system is a
>> Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX V5.1) which I plug my cable
>> modem into to dish out my wireless signal to my other home desktops.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated on understanding what this error is telling me
>> and how I might successfully address it.
>> *Also, if you think I should post this in a more appropriate newsgroup
>> please let me know
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Walter

Bob

"canixs" <canixs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This ACPI error is a known issue to MS and had article about, I don't
> remember where, but it's safely ignore.
>
> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939
>>mobo. I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the
>>system up using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.
>>
>> Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
>> events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this
>> might even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.
>>
>> Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
>> "IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
>> function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."
>>
>> My bios is an AWARD bios. The *only* PCI card I have in my system is a
>> Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX V5.1) which I plug my cable
>> modem into to dish out my wireless signal to my other home desktops.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated on understanding what this error is telling me
>> and how I might successfully address it.
>> *Also, if you think I should post this in a more appropriate newsgroup
>> please let me know
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Walter

I've been trying to find out the same info as I get them on my system also.
I would bet a good number of computers react the same way...if people were
to look at their event viewer. Here's a quote from the MS Knowledge base:
"CAUSE
This error message may occur on a computer that uses a Peripheral Component
Interconnect (PCI) bridge that supports message-signaled interrupts but does
not support line-based interrupts

RESOLUTION
This error message may safely be ignored.

Note Do not ignore this error message if the following conditions are
true: . A yellow explanation mark (!) appears next to the device in Device
Manager.
. You receive the following error message in the Properties dialog box
for the device in Device Manager:
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code
12)
In this scenario, a different issue may be causing the symptoms. Take
additional steps to troubleshoot this issue"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930062/en-us

Took me several days of hunting to find this.
Bob

canixs

Re: Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please
This issue doesn't seem to affect x64 version since I only got that error
message if I used Vista x32.

"Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "canixs" <canixs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> This ACPI error is a known issue to MS and had article about, I don't
>> remember where, but it's safely ignore.
>>
>> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939
>>>mobo. I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the
>>>system up using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.
>>>
>>> Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
>>> events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this
>>> might even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.
>>>
>>> Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
>>> "IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
>>> function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."
>>>
>>> My bios is an AWARD bios. The *only* PCI card I have in my system is a
>>> Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX V5.1) which I plug my cable
>>> modem into to dish out my wireless signal to my other home desktops.
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated on understanding what this error is telling me
>>> and how I might successfully address it.
>>> *Also, if you think I should post this in a more appropriate newsgroup
>>> please let me know
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Walter

> I've been trying to find out the same info as I get them on my system
> also.
> I would bet a good number of computers react the same way...if people were
> to look at their event viewer. Here's a quote from the MS Knowledge base:
> "CAUSE
> This error message may occur on a computer that uses a Peripheral
> Component
> Interconnect (PCI) bridge that supports message-signaled interrupts but
> does
> not support line-based interrupts
>
> RESOLUTION
> This error message may safely be ignored.
>
> Note Do not ignore this error message if the following conditions are
> true: . A yellow explanation mark (!) appears next to the device in Device
> Manager.
> . You receive the following error message in the Properties dialog
> box
> for the device in Device Manager:
> This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code
> 12)
> In this scenario, a different issue may be causing the symptoms. Take
> additional steps to troubleshoot this issue"
>
> Took me several days of hunting to find this.
> Bob

Walter Cohen

Re: Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please
I have no yellow exclamation points with anything in a PCI slot.
Interestingly, when I went to device manager and viewed the driver details
for my Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card (LNE100TX V5.1) it says it is in
PCI bus 4 (I assume this is the same as PCI Slot 4).
So it would appear that this PCI card is causing the error for some reason.

Walter
"David Moisan" <dmoisan@davidmoisan.org> wrote in message
newsDC1F949-ED57-492D-8422-DC4B03C88F33@microsoft.com...

> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a clean Vista Home Pro install on a new Biostar TForce 6100-939
>>mobo. I cannot get ACPI and hibernate/sleep to work as far as waking the
>>system up using either keyboard or mouse...but that's another problem.
>>
>> Ever since I installed Vista last week I daily get at least 5 ACPI error
>> events and I could use some help in diagnosing the error. Maybe this
>> might even be related as to why I cannot wake my system from hibernate.
>>
>> Here is the text of the error (which MS has no further info on):
>> "IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4,
>> function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."
>>

> Actually, MS does have a KB on this, no thanks to their search:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...rss&spid=11707
>
> If there are no errors (yellow exclaimation points) in Device Manager,
> then this can be ignored. I would check with Biostar for a BIOS update as
> that is the most likely cause for sleep/suspend problems.
>
> Take care,
>
> Dave

George

Re: Event Viewer: ACPI error....need help please
You can temporarily remove the Linksys card just to see what effect it
has on the error message and the abillity to resume from sleep.

George