Vista keeps losing my printer drivers!

RaisingAlexis

Vista keeps losing my printer drivers!
Any time I have to unplug my USB printer, I have to re-install the printer
drivers. How can I fix this?

romanom

RE: Vista keeps losing my printer drivers!
What brand printer? I have an HP and had a similiar problems, except mine
was more random, sometimes the drivers would reinstall for no apparent reason.

On HP's site they used to have a patch for download about this issue, but it
didn't work, which is probably why the patch is no longer there for download.

There is a fix, sort of:

This seems to at least cut down on the number of times this happens to me,
only once has it happened since I installed the update. Before, it would
happen 2-3 times a week.

This fix may also be relevant:

"RaisingAlexis" wrote:

> Any time I have to unplug my USB printer, I have to re-install the printer
> drivers. How can I fix this?

trickytree7

RE: Vista keeps losing my printer drivers!
I have the exact same problem. Every time I plug my HP Printer back in to the
USB port, it reinstalls the driver. So frustrating! I downloaded these
updates, hopefully that helps. Anyway have any other ideas??

"romanom" wrote:

> What brand printer? I have an HP and had a similiar problems, except mine
> was more random, sometimes the drivers would reinstall for no apparent reason.
>
> On HP's site they used to have a patch for download about this issue, but it
> didn't work, which is probably why the patch is no longer there for download.
>
> There is a fix, sort of:
>
> This seems to at least cut down on the number of times this happens to me,
> only once has it happened since I installed the update. Before, it would
> happen 2-3 times a week.
>
> This fix may also be relevant:
>
> "RaisingAlexis" wrote:
>
> > Any time I have to unplug my USB printer, I have to re-install the printer
> > drivers. How can I fix this?

Jay

RE: Vista keeps losing my printer drivers!
I am having the same problem, but when I tried to download the updates
listed, ms.com indicated that my system does not need them? I have an HP
c6180 and two home PCs. I would like to simply plug the printer into
whichever PC I need to print from. However, when I plug the printer back
into the first PC, it finds and reinstalls the drivers, leaving me stuck for
10 minutes until it finishes. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an
obvious better approach? Is there a setting to stop this maddening
autoinstall of drivers that have already been installed?

Thanks,
Jay

"trickytree7" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem. Every time I plug my HP Printer back in to the
> USB port, it reinstalls the driver. So frustrating! I downloaded these
> updates, hopefully that helps. Anyway have any other ideas??
>
> "romanom" wrote:
>
> > What brand printer? I have an HP and had a similiar problems, except mine
> > was more random, sometimes the drivers would reinstall for no apparent reason.
> >
> > On HP's site they used to have a patch for download about this issue, but it
> > didn't work, which is probably why the patch is no longer there for download.
> >
> > There is a fix, sort of:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> >
> > This seems to at least cut down on the number of times this happens to me,
> > only once has it happened since I installed the update. Before, it would
> > happen 2-3 times a week.
> >
> > This fix may also be relevant:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> >
> > "RaisingAlexis" wrote:
> >
> > > Any time I have to unplug my USB printer, I have to re-install the printer
> > > drivers. How can I fix this?

trickytree7

RE: Vista keeps losing my printer drivers!
Jay,

It doesn't appear there is a fix for this. I've even called Dell and they
were completely stumped. This is definitely a Vista bug. I searched MS
website far and wide and found no solutions. SO ANNOYING!! If you come up
with any solution please post it here!

"Jay" wrote:

> I am having the same problem, but when I tried to download the updates
> listed, ms.com indicated that my system does not need them? I have an HP
> c6180 and two home PCs. I would like to simply plug the printer into
> whichever PC I need to print from. However, when I plug the printer back
> into the first PC, it finds and reinstalls the drivers, leaving me stuck for
> 10 minutes until it finishes. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an
> obvious better approach? Is there a setting to stop this maddening
> autoinstall of drivers that have already been installed?
>
> Thanks,
> Jay
>

> "trickytree7" wrote:
>
> > I have the exact same problem. Every time I plug my HP Printer back in to the
> > USB port, it reinstalls the driver. So frustrating! I downloaded these
> > updates, hopefully that helps. Anyway have any other ideas??
> >
> > "romanom" wrote:
> >
> > > What brand printer? I have an HP and had a similiar problems, except mine
> > > was more random, sometimes the drivers would reinstall for no apparent reason.
> > >
> > > On HP's site they used to have a patch for download about this issue, but it
> > > didn't work, which is probably why the patch is no longer there for download.
> > >
> > > There is a fix, sort of:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> > >
> > > This seems to at least cut down on the number of times this happens to me,
> > > only once has it happened since I installed the update. Before, it would
> > > happen 2-3 times a week.
> > >
> > > This fix may also be relevant:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Jay

RE: Vista keeps losing my printer drivers!
Are there any MVPS or Microsoft personnel who can tell us if there is at
least a formal defect opened by MS or if we are simply out of luck for now?

"trickytree7" wrote:

> Jay,
>
> It doesn't appear there is a fix for this. I've even called Dell and they
> were completely stumped. This is definitely a Vista bug. I searched MS
> website far and wide and found no solutions. SO ANNOYING!! If you come up
> with any solution please post it here!
>
> "Jay" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same problem, but when I tried to download the updates
> > listed, ms.com indicated that my system does not need them? I have an HP
> > c6180 and two home PCs. I would like to simply plug the printer into
> > whichever PC I need to print from. However, when I plug the printer back
> > into the first PC, it finds and reinstalls the drivers, leaving me stuck for
> > 10 minutes until it finishes. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an
> > obvious better approach? Is there a setting to stop this maddening
> > autoinstall of drivers that have already been installed?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jay
> >

> > "trickytree7" wrote:
> >
> > > I have the exact same problem. Every time I plug my HP Printer back in to the
> > > USB port, it reinstalls the driver. So frustrating! I downloaded these
> > > updates, hopefully that helps. Anyway have any other ideas??

cqui3

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Are there any MVPS or Microsoft personnel who can tell us if there is at
> least a formal defect opened by MS or if we are simply out of luck for
> now?
>
> "trickytree7" wrote:
>
>> Jay,
>>
>> It doesn't appear there is a fix for this. I've even called Dell and
>> they
>> were completely stumped. This is definitely a Vista bug. I searched MS
>> website far and wide and found no solutions. SO ANNOYING!! If you come up
>> with any solution please post it here!
>>
>> "Jay" wrote:
>>
>> > I am having the same problem, but when I tried to download the updates
>> > listed, ms.com indicated that my system does not need them? I have an
>> > HP
>> > c6180 and two home PCs. I would like to simply plug the printer into
>> > whichever PC I need to print from. However, when I plug the printer
>> > back
>> > into the first PC, it finds and reinstalls the drivers, leaving me
>> > stuck for
>> > 10 minutes until it finishes. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an
>> > obvious better approach? Is there a setting to stop this maddening
>> > autoinstall of drivers that have already been installed?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jay

It could be that the printer is plugged into a different USB connector. Try
always reconnect in the
same connector.