why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing

Kerry Brown

Re: why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing
"LadyFlame" <LadyFlame@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We've been having the same problem with both my mum's laptop and our
> ordinary
> desktop computer. Is there a way to fix it on a desktop machine? Also,
> how
> do you go about disabling the touchpad on an Acer laptop?

On my Acer there's an option to disable the touchpad on the Synaptic tab in
the Mouse applet in the Control Panel.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

CEILIMAN

petro;561198 Wrote:
> i can be typing along and all of a sudden a new window pops up or my
> cursor
> jumps to another spot in the page. Basically it jumps to wherever I
> have
> left the cursor. So frustrating!!!!!

hi i am new at this I have the same problem,I am surprised that I
have got this far without the cursor jumping back or up and down,what is
the cure,I spoke too soon,it done it again I had to retype Anton

--
CEILIMAN
LVTravel

"CEILIMAN" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> petro;561198 Wrote:
>> i can be typing along and all of a sudden a new window pops up or my
>> cursor
>> jumps to another spot in the page. Basically it jumps to wherever I
>> have
>> left the cursor. So frustrating!!!!!

> hi i am new at this I have the same problem,I am surprised that I
> have got this far without the cursor jumping back or up and down,what is
> the cure,I spoke too soon,it done it again I had to retype Anton
>

> --
> CEILIMAN

Laptop? If so set the sensitivity of the touchpad. If you also use an
external mouse with a laptop some systems will allow you to turn off the
touchpad while the USB mouse is connected.

Lee Stone

Re: why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing
"CEILIMAN" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> petro;561198 Wrote:
>> i can be typing along and all of a sudden a new window pops up or my
>> cursor
>> jumps to another spot in the page. Basically it jumps to wherever I
>> have
>> left the cursor. So frustrating!!!!!

> hi i am new at this I have the same problem,I am surprised that I
> have got this far without the cursor jumping back or up and down,what is
> the cure,I spoke too soon,it done it again I had to retype Anton
>

> --
> CEILIMAN

No idea if this is relevant but my laptop does this when my mobile phone is
to close by

CEILIMAN

Re: why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing

Sorry for not replying soonerI do have a phone close by but it has never
given a problem.this has only happened over the last few months,once
again thank you for taking an interest,Anton:cry:

--
CEILIMAN
nixonmark3

Re: why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing

I recently ran into this problem on my Dell Latitude D820. The problem
appeared after I had been using Vista for several months so I'm not sure
what caused it. However, the symtom as described above, was that when I
placed focus on a window the cursor would jump around making all kinds
of selections in VS2008, screwing up my Word documents, randomly doing
things to my mail system, and making all kinds of selections in my
browser. At first I thought I had a virus. After searching for my
symptoms I ran into this thread and the discussion on the touchpad clued
me into what was happening.

The fix was to download the latest touchpad driver from Dell, install,
and reboot.

I recommend disabling your touchpad and running with a USB mouse
(obviosuly if you are traveling this won't be practical). If for some
reason you don't have a touchpad showing up in your system tray then
this is another indication that your system is not properly set up.

--
nixonmark3
KWMN

Re: why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing

Hi, I've been having the same problem and it makes me completely crazy,
but I think I may have found one reason why this can happen and a fix
for it (not perfect but better than nothing!) I think this is related
to the fact that Vista is set up so that if the mouse pointer is in a
particular spot, the cursor will jump to that spot, automatically,
without your having to click the mouse.

Also, if the mouse pointer happens to be pointing to a hyperlink or a
command (such as anything on the QuickLaunch bar), Vista will OPEN
whatever link or program is being pointed at.

This problem is further complicated, in Word, by the fact that most of
us set up the pointer to "disappear" when we are typing text... and yet,
it's still "there" someplace on the page (as you can see if you move
it).

SO what I think is happening, is that the cursor just jumps to wherever
the mouse pointer is located, if you pause a bit in typing... and, when
that happens, your typing is inserted at the point where the mouse
pointer is located.

However, happily, there is a really good description in the Tutorials
about how to change how long the mouse must hover over a particular
link, before vista opens that popup. So, it is possible to slow down
that process, which helped me a lot.

Also, I've found that if I position the mouse pointer carefully off to
one side of my page, before I start typing, it doesn't "steal" my
cursor!

- Karen

--
KWMN
pokeyman

Re: why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing
Just re-install the driver, since u still have use kb then , then use kb
cmds.

hth
pokeyman

"KWMN" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi, I've been having the same problem and it makes me completely crazy,
> but I think I may have found one reason why this can happen and a fix
> for it (not perfect but better than nothing!) I think this is related
> to the fact that Vista is set up so that if the mouse pointer is in a
> particular spot, the cursor will jump to that spot, automatically,
> without your having to click the mouse.
>
> Also, if the mouse pointer happens to be pointing to a hyperlink or a
> command (such as anything on the QuickLaunch bar), Vista will OPEN
> whatever link or program is being pointed at.
>
> This problem is further complicated, in Word, by the fact that most of
> us set up the pointer to "disappear" when we are typing text... and yet,
> it's still "there" someplace on the page (as you can see if you move
> it).
>
> SO what I think is happening, is that the cursor just jumps to wherever
> the mouse pointer is located, if you pause a bit in typing... and, when
> that happens, your typing is inserted at the point where the mouse
> pointer is located.
>
> However, happily, there is a really good description in the Tutorials
> about how to change how long the mouse must hover over a particular
> link, before vista opens that popup. So, it is possible to slow down
> that process, which helped me a lot.
>
> Also, I've found that if I position the mouse pointer carefully off to
> one side of my page, before I start typing, it doesn't "steal" my
> cursor!
>
> - Karen
>

> --
> KWMN

jinks

Re: why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing

I had the same problem on my Dell Inspiron 1525. I downloaded the
driver at Synaptics and was finally able to have the option to disable
the touchpad. I was pulling my hair out because it was so frustrating
with the cursor jumping around. Here is where I go the driver.
'Drivers | Synaptics' (http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers)

--
jinks
echoroc

Re: why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing

I have this problem, which JUST started, on my 2 week old HP. It was
fine until a few days ago. I tried turning of 'tap' while typing, which
doesn't help.

I can't use an external mouse -- what's the point of having a laptop if
you have to use a peripheral??

--
echoroc