XP Video Driver

JamesJ

XP Video Driver
Hi. After I install Vista Home Premium I want to install the
XP version of the video drivers so I might run my old DOS games.
I have already been the manufacturer's web site and have
downloaded and installed the drivers in Windows XP SP2.
According to Microsoft kb article ID 926657 this is the
workaround.
After installing Vista what is the best procedure to install these
driver(s)?
Should I remove the current driver that Vista installed first or can I
simply install the XP driver?
btw, I have already tried Virtual PC and DosBox and don't prefer to
go that route.

ronald.phillips@gmail.com

Re: XP Video Driver
On Mar 2, 5:47 pm, "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote:
> Hi. After I install Vista Home Premium I want to install the
> XP version of the video drivers so I might run my old DOS games.
> I have already been the manufacturer's web site and have
> downloaded and installed the drivers in Windows XP SP2.
> According to Microsoft kb article ID 926657 this is the
> workaround.
> After installing Vista what is the best procedure to install these
> driver(s)?
> Should I remove the current driver that Vista installed first or can I
> simply install the XP driver?
> btw, I have already tried Virtual PC andDosBoxand don't prefer to
> go that route.

You really shouldn't be installing XP video drivers on Vista unless
you do not have any WDDM (Vista) drivers for your video card. Yes,
this is the only way you'll be able to play your DOS games using NTVDM
but your sacrificing your stability to do so. NTVDM in Vista is also a
bit less compatible than XP's NTVDM.

What is your issue with DosBox?

If you insist on installing XP drivers. Then simply go into Add/Remove
and uninstall your current drivers or go into Device Manager and
uninstall your Display Adapter. Then install the XP drivers.

JamesJ

Re: XP Video Driver
Does DosBox have newsgroups or do I neewd to use the forums on the web?
I was a bit confused when I posted to the forum thinbking I posted to the
proper forum but didn't.
I've heard good things 'bout DosBox... maybe I'll give it another shot.

btw I did try to remove the current driver and install the XP driver.
I needed to reinstall Vista. I couldn't get rid of the generic VGA driver.

Thanks,
James

news:1172922892.279419.100860@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...

On Mar 3, 7:12 am, "JamesJ" <jjy@Darwin_adelphia.net> wrote:
> DoesDosBoxhave newsgroups or do I neewd to use the forums on the web?
> I was a bit confused when I posted to the forum thinbking I posted to the
> proper forum but didn't.
> I've heard good things 'boutDosBox... maybe I'll give it another shot.
>
> btw I did try to remove the current driver and install the XP driver.
> I needed to reinstall Vista. I couldn't get rid of the generic VGA driver.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> <ronald.phill...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1172922892.279419.100860@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
>
> > On Mar 2, 5:47 pm, "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote:
> >> Hi. After I install Vista Home Premium I want to install the
> >> XP version of the video drivers so I might run my old DOS games.
> >> I have already been the manufacturer's web site and have
> >> downloaded and installed the drivers in Windows XP SP2.
> >> According to Microsoft kb article ID 926657 this is the
> >> workaround.
> >> After installing Vista what is the best procedure to install these
> >> driver(s)?
> >> Should I remove the current driver that Vista installed first or can I
> >> simply install the XP driver?
> >> btw, I have already tried Virtual PC andDosBoxand don't prefer to
> >> go that route.

> > You really shouldn't be installing XP video drivers on Vista unless
> > you do not have any WDDM (Vista) drivers for your video card. Yes,
> > this is the only way you'll be able to play your DOS games using NTVDM
> > but your sacrificing your stability to do so. NTVDM in Vista is also a
> > bit less compatible than XP's NTVDM.

> > What is your issue withDosBox?

> > If you insist on installing XP drivers. Then simply go into Add/Remove
> > and uninstall your current drivers or go into Device Manager and
> > uninstall your Display Adapter. Then install the XP drivers.

http://vogons.zetafleet.com is the official DosBox forum.

DosBox 0.70 was released today.