Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB

John

Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB
Hi,

I have a MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547) motherboard with 1 GB of DDR3200 RAM. This
motherboard has three memory slots and can handle up to 3GB RAM. I bought
another 2 x 1GB and filled the other two slots.

Vista Ultimate 32 bit wouldn't boot at all. I see some coloured rubbish on
the screen and then a message comes up to say it can't boot, do I want safe
mode. Safe mode also doesn't boot up. I tried booting from the Vista DVD but
the same thing happens. I removed one of the new memory sticks and the
system boots up although I still notice some odd things happening like the
icons on the task bar not refreshing.

I checked for BIOS upgrades but there isn't one. Any thought on how I can
use the memory I bought?

Thanks,

John

Paul Smith

Re: Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB
I suspect you'll need to slow the memory down, a lot of boards can't use all
slots at full speed. You may also want to try raising the voltage a tad too
(just remain in the specs).

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"John" <johnvan@ansonic.com.au> wrote in message
news762A811-E4F4-4C11-8773-B593751D47F9@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547) motherboard with 1 GB of DDR3200 RAM.
> This motherboard has three memory slots and can handle up to 3GB RAM. I
> bought another 2 x 1GB and filled the other two slots.
>
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit wouldn't boot at all. I see some coloured rubbish on
> the screen and then a message comes up to say it can't boot, do I want
> safe mode. Safe mode also doesn't boot up. I tried booting from the Vista
> DVD but the same thing happens. I removed one of the new memory sticks and
> the system boots up although I still notice some odd things happening like
> the icons on the task bar not refreshing.
>
> I checked for BIOS upgrades but there isn't one. Any thought on how I can
> use the memory I bought?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB
Unless memory is matched or very close, the system will not boot correctly..
try to get sticks that match the original..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Bob

Re: Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB
"John" <johnvan@ansonic.com.au> wrote in message
news762A811-E4F4-4C11-8773-B593751D47F9@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547) motherboard with 1 GB of DDR3200 RAM.
> This motherboard has three memory slots and can handle up to 3GB RAM. I
> bought another 2 x 1GB and filled the other two slots.
>
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit wouldn't boot at all. I see some coloured rubbish on
> the screen and then a message comes up to say it can't boot, do I want
> safe mode. Safe mode also doesn't boot up. I tried booting from the Vista
> DVD but the same thing happens. I removed one of the new memory sticks and
> the system boots up although I still notice some odd things happening like
> the icons on the task bar not refreshing.
>
> I checked for BIOS upgrades but there isn't one. Any thought on how I can
> use the memory I bought?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Run Vista's built in memory diagnostic tool with 2 sticks installed and see
if that shows anything. Got to Windows help and support and search "memory
test", there's lots of good info and instructions.
Bob

canixs

Re: Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB
The memory got nothing to do with the OS if it works fine with 1 gig then
it's definitely the memory issue. I last upgraded my laptop memory and I
had to try 4 different brand in order to get the one that worked with my
system, even though it said it's compatible with my laptop model.

Return and get a different brand, not all DDR3200 are equal, they do vary in
timing and voltage.

"John" <johnvan@ansonic.com.au> wrote in message
news762A811-E4F4-4C11-8773-B593751D47F9@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547) motherboard with 1 GB of DDR3200 RAM.
> This motherboard has three memory slots and can handle up to 3GB RAM. I
> bought another 2 x 1GB and filled the other two slots.
>
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit wouldn't boot at all. I see some coloured rubbish on
> the screen and then a message comes up to say it can't boot, do I want
> safe mode. Safe mode also doesn't boot up. I tried booting from the Vista
> DVD but the same thing happens. I removed one of the new memory sticks and
> the system boots up although I still notice some odd things happening like
> the icons on the task bar not refreshing.
>
> I checked for BIOS upgrades but there isn't one. Any thought on how I can
> use the memory I bought?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

John

Re: Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB
Thank you for all comments. Because I am getting that strange coloured
display for a few seconds, I thought it might be related to a conflict in
memory addresses with the video card when the third stick is installed. I
did read something somewhere about changing the video memory setting in the
BIOS.

I'll try your suggestions and let you know the outcome.

John

"John" <johnvan@ansonic.com.au> wrote in message
news762A811-E4F4-4C11-8773-B593751D47F9@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547) motherboard with 1 GB of DDR3200 RAM.
> This motherboard has three memory slots and can handle up to 3GB RAM. I
> bought another 2 x 1GB and filled the other two slots.
>
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit wouldn't boot at all. I see some coloured rubbish on
> the screen and then a message comes up to say it can't boot, do I want
> safe mode. Safe mode also doesn't boot up. I tried booting from the Vista
> DVD but the same thing happens. I removed one of the new memory sticks and
> the system boots up although I still notice some odd things happening like
> the icons on the task bar not refreshing.
>
> I checked for BIOS upgrades but there isn't one. Any thought on how I can
> use the memory I bought?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Richard Urban

Re: Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB
Mike,

Vista is finicky regarding RAM. I normally run with 2 gig of Corsair PC3200.
Last weekend I tried to install another stick of the same (same date - same
lot code etc.). Being as how I dual boot with XP, I first booted into
Windows XP. No problem.

I then tried to boot up into Vista after about 15 seconds I got a blue
screen warning about newly installed devices. I then thought I would
reinstall Vista with 3 gigs already installed. That way it would be picked
up in the original install, right? Wrong! After about 15 seconds the system
froze. This time there was no indication of any error what-so-ever.

I took out the 3rd stick and everything is fine again.

The Shadow knows, I sure don't.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Unless memory is matched or very close, the system will not boot
> correctly.. try to get sticks that match the original..
>

> "John" <johnvan@ansonic.com.au> wrote in message
> news762A811-E4F4-4C11-8773-B593751D47F9@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547) motherboard with 1 GB of DDR3200 RAM.
>> This motherboard has three memory slots and can handle up to 3GB RAM. I
>> bought another 2 x 1GB and filled the other two slots.
>>
>> Vista Ultimate 32 bit wouldn't boot at all. I see some coloured rubbish
>> on the screen and then a message comes up to say it can't boot, do I want
>> safe mode. Safe mode also doesn't boot up. I tried booting from the Vista
>> DVD but the same thing happens. I removed one of the new memory sticks
>> and the system boots up although I still notice some odd things happening
>> like the icons on the task bar not refreshing.
>>
>> I checked for BIOS upgrades but there isn't one. Any thought on how I can
>> use the memory I bought?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB
Richard

I had two 1gb sticks on my board, and just added another, no matching or
anything, and it worked.. normally, I would say 'match', but as you and
others have found, that plainly doesn't work.. like you, I am at a loss as
to what to suggest..

> Mike,
>
> Vista is finicky regarding RAM. I normally run with 2 gig of Corsair
> PC3200. Last weekend I tried to install another stick of the same (same
> date - same lot code etc.). Being as how I dual boot with XP, I first
> booted into Windows XP. No problem.
>
> I then tried to boot up into Vista after about 15 seconds I got a blue
> screen warning about newly installed devices. I then thought I would
> reinstall Vista with 3 gigs already installed. That way it would be picked
> up in the original install, right? Wrong! After about 15 seconds the
> system froze. This time there was no indication of any error what-so-ever.
>
> I took out the 3rd stick and everything is fine again.
>
> The Shadow knows, I sure don't.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:eIM5amRXHHA.5092@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Unless memory is matched or very close, the system will not boot
>> correctly.. try to get sticks that match the original..
>>

>> "John" <johnvan@ansonic.com.au> wrote in message
>> news762A811-E4F4-4C11-8773-B593751D47F9@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547) motherboard with 1 GB of DDR3200 RAM.
>>> This motherboard has three memory slots and can handle up to 3GB RAM. I
>>> bought another 2 x 1GB and filled the other two slots.
>>>
>>> Vista Ultimate 32 bit wouldn't boot at all. I see some coloured rubbish
>>> on the screen and then a message comes up to say it can't boot, do I
>>> want safe mode. Safe mode also doesn't boot up. I tried booting from the
>>> Vista DVD but the same thing happens. I removed one of the new memory
>>> sticks and the system boots up although I still notice some odd things
>>> happening like the icons on the task bar not refreshing.
>>>
>>> I checked for BIOS upgrades but there isn't one. Any thought on how I
>>> can use the memory I bought?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> John

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

pvdg42

Re: Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB

"John" <johnvan@ansonic.com.au> wrote in message
news762A811-E4F4-4C11-8773-B593751D47F9@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547) motherboard with 1 GB of DDR3200 RAM.
> This motherboard has three memory slots and can handle up to 3GB RAM. I
> bought another 2 x 1GB and filled the other two slots.
>
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit wouldn't boot at all. I see some coloured rubbish on
> the screen and then a message comes up to say it can't boot, do I want
> safe mode. Safe mode also doesn't boot up. I tried booting from the Vista
> DVD but the same thing happens. I removed one of the new memory sticks and
> the system boots up although I still notice some odd things happening like
> the icons on the task bar not refreshing.
>
> I checked for BIOS upgrades but there isn't one. Any thought on how I can
> use the memory I bought?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Are the two new sticks you purchased a matched pair? Have you tried with
just the two new sticks?
Try reducing the speed from 200 to 166. I had to do that with an older Asus
A7N8X motherboard when I filled the third RAM slot.
You can also try each of the new sticks one-at-a-time with your old stick to
see if one works and the other does not.

The one thing I didn't see in this thread was the possibility that one or
both the new sticks is bad. It happens.

John

Re: Upgrade RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB
Thank you. I have just run the memory test with one old stick and one new.
It reported no problems. I'll try it now with the other new stick.

John